List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t haven’t a go at it u, just that the tried mid mix doesn’t work, throwing Doc in as a rotation doesn’t help either.
It’s got me ****ed how Hew is now some great & important part of our mid mix, reason he can rack up touches is the other team gives no ****s as he has zero hurt factor - there happy for him to have it as it’s almost guaranteed to go backwards and not come out of there fast.
Kennedy is now painted as a kicking liability and we are fine with him going
We all agree it’s not working hence the change with Kennedy .. not saying that’s gonna make the mix great or even if Carlton wanted to do it but Hewitt is a better player then Kennedy , every day of the week mate and that was original point but keep talking

I assume that getting in Haynes (together with Gov and Weitering) makes Young surplus to requirements?

What do our supporters genuinely feel about this? I don’t know much about Haynes. Should we feel put off by his age?

Feel that adding Haynes and moving on Young are 2 different things.

Could we see a world where McGovern and Haynes play alternate weeks as the 3rd defender, therefore having their bodies and minds absorb only half the punishment of a gruelling 24 week AFL season and by extension, extending their careers.

Same type arrangement could be looked at for Saad and Boyd as smaller attacking defenders.

Having these guys fit, refreshed and firing heading into September as opposed to limping and hobbling across the line makes more sense to me.

Moving on Young on the back of Marchbank and likely S.Durdin is another matter altogether.
Obviously Weitering needs a KPD partner of some quality and you’d have to think Austin would be across this.

Clearly, SDK and Aleer would be at the top of the wish list if at all possible.

Throw in a play for Houston and the backline looks pretty darn solid.

Aleer = 2025 1st rounder
Houston = 2024 1st rounder + ?
Haynes = UFA

Saad (Boyd) … Weitering … McGovern (Haynes)

Houston … Aleer … Cowan

Leaves us with our 2024 2nd rounder and 3 x 4th rounder’s plus whatever draft picks Kennedy Owies and Young return in trade to play with …

My only concern for this trade period is that we are linked to Houston but don't want to part with pick 11.
We also still have interest in Petracca, according to the media and some BF posters.

My concern with either of those two possibilities is that multiple first rounders will be required.
Using a future 1st might be part of one deal but we don't have the trade currency for both deals, or even really either of them without involving a first rounder for this year's draft.

Our only way of getting first round picks this year would be to take a deal for TDK before his free agency comes up, and that would be a disaster.

Our other option for first round picks is even more unthinkable! 😆

Motlops 23 was miles off Watsons 24.

2.0 shots on goal vs 3.4
1.1 goals vs 1.4 goals
0.3 behinds vs 1.5 behinds
0.3 GA's vs 0.7 GA's
3.8 SI's vs 5.6 SI's

It's not even close. If Watson had have kicked an average accuracy at goals he'd have kicked close to 40 goals this season
So we're looking at shots on goal, goals and behinds??? Way to stack a deck. Is Jesse's accuracy a bad thing now?

Like I said, not a mile off. Particularly given the expectations on each and the relative focus they have in their respective forward set ups.

So we're looking at shots on goal, goals and behinds??? Way to stack a deck. Is Jesse's accuracy a bad thing now?

Like I said, not a mile off. Particularly given the expectations on each and the relative focus they have in their respective forward set ups.
He's behind in literally every important stat a small forward can have except goal accuracy. I didn't even bother to include tackles, disposal efficiency, score launches etc.

Miles off him. Even worse if u look at this season

What about the trade fails you conveniently ingnore: Williams, Thomas, Mcgovern, Martin, Cerra.
When a trade fails, unlike a draft failure you lose additionally Cap Space and if the draft pick is moderately successful career length because the traded player is usually post 25
Cerra is the only one we traded for of thise listed.

He's behind in literally every important stat a small forward can have except goal accuracy. I didn't even bother to include tackles, disposal efficiency, score launches etc.

Miles off him. Even worse if u look at this season
3 extra points generated per week. 0.1 of a tackle. 1.2% disposal efficiency.

I mean Jesse had more pressure acts and tackles inside 50...are they important stats for small forwards?

We appear to have different definitions of 'miles', but BF is a broad church.

Screenshot_20240917_185118_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
missing every 2nd kick for an accumulator like walsh is a worry ...lots of kicks not going where they should
It's more than that. Remember long kicks that go to a contest are "effective". Walsh does that a fair bit. I doubt we retain half of those.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have some humans developed a new sense I'm unaware of? I didn't realise you could know a muscle was about to tear.

Seems a pretty unfair advantage to me!

Hamstrings are nasty. They can feel fine and then not. There's often not warning on subsequent tears and due to the nature of the muscle it's quite difficult to strength test the right 'string'.

Maybe there's also just possibly a teeny tiny element of the players haven't had a choice in how hard they've been required to push under Voss and Russell too. Especially after the 'learnings' from last year's prelim loss was - we need to be fitter and stronger so we don't run out of steam. Not that we need to rotate and manage better. All in on being even fitter and even stronger...... Hamstring nightmare. If a player opts out in this situations what happens next... Can't do this session Vossy we're training too hard. Creates a new separate set of issues
Hamstrings will often tighten up before tearing, that’s why players are now being rested with hamstring awareness.

Need to wait and see who we bring before judging the kennedy/owies/Young decisions.

Personally I see the petracca houstons sdk type acquisitions as pipe dreams but we'll have to wait and see.

That's the game changing trade the club should throw everything at. Will we? Very unlikely. I couldn't care less if we didn't draft a 1st rounder after that. There isnt a draftee that would impact our team the way SDK would immediately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think improving our midfield, small forwards, KPD and speed/ball use on the flanks all in one off season will be extremely difficult. In my opinion the midfield is easiest to paper over with some additional rotations from players like Elijah, Cowan, Docherty, Fogarty, any other good half forwards we may pick up etc.

Finding a quality quick mid who's ready to player year 1 will be extraordinarily difficult with all our other list needs imo so we may be best served finding value in flankers who can pinch hit on ball to spread the load.

Switkowski plays a totally different role. He's a high half forward who's game is built on pressure and creating scoring opportunities for others between the arcs, Williams is much more a forward pocket type who can hit the scoreboard himself and deliver the ball to a leading forward. Switowski is basically a 2nd Fogarty which would help our treacle paced midfield defend and pressure just as GWS send Daniels and Bedford up the field to assist Tom Green, Cogs etc who are no faster than our mids.

Entitled to have your own opinion on him though. Would prefer Rosas but sounds like he's off the market, ut Ib'd still be pretty excited to see our pressure game in action with Switkowski and Fogarty in a team together.

As would i.

F*** I hate this period. With nothing to do all of y'all are like hyenas. Any scrap is gospel. Cleary has the worst record of any footy journo right up there with Sam McClure.

Seriously I can't wait till preseason starts and everyone can stop putting knees into players that may or may not be leave.

Let's just wait and see before anything.

All this Voss is...and player x is shit is toxic af. I'll be back once trade period is done.

F*** I hate this period. With nothing to do all of y'all are like hyenas. Any scrap is gospel. Cleary has the worst record of any footy journo right up there with Sam McClure.

Seriously I can't wait till preseason starts and everyone can stop putting knees into players that may or may not be leave.

All this Voss is...and player x is shit is toxic af. I'll be back once trade period is done.

I actually love it. Love the debate and the possibilities that get explored all with the idea of improving our list & performance.

It’s what makes our game so great and the fan engagement within this period is next level.

Trade period in my opinion has become more important than draft week.

It’s a fascinating time.

So you popped in to tell us you're leaving? :think: :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back