List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't even need an exemption. Amiss and Erasmus satisfy the rule up to the end of the 2025 trade period.

Some basic logic and maths suggests we can't fit all 3 of Pickett, Warner and Bolton in the salary cap without losing key players. We might be able to squeeze in Bolton (if there is a large salary chunk paid by Richmond) and Pickett on say 800k. But even that would be tight. I honestly think Warner is not going to happen. He is 100% staying in Sydney to end of 2025. Then WC can blow us out of the water, or he will stay with Sydney.

We are already carrying 7 x top 100 paid players in the comp. That includes Ryan, but excludes Clark, Pearce, Treacy and Amiss who are AA 40-man squad capable either now or in the future. Brayshaw also needs a bump.

Only Melbourne and GWS had 8 in 2024, and they're going back to 7 with Haynes and Brayshaw off the books. And GWS are struggling to keep Perryman, Peatling and Cumming. Once you start hitting that 8 mark for highly paid players, the salary cap is approaching breaking point to fit the rest in.

I guess we could have some elaborate off the books schemes going, but somehow I doubt it.
Thanks for clarifying, I thought Erasmus and Amiss would have counted until end of 2024. Knew we would be ok this season but thought we would need to take 2x firsts between now and 2025 to fall within that rule

The money was definitely my main concern about being able to get all three. That and the respective teams agreeing to trade them of course.

If Pickett’s not in the picture then my preference is using 9,16 on Bolton and taking 10 to the draft and nothing else. No Baker, no moving picks into next year.

1. Bolton & Pickett
2. Bolton only
3. Bolton and Baker

I don’t see realistically how we get both Bolton and Warner salaries to fit and I’m not keen on moving on any of our guys to make it happen.

Ideally it’s Warner and Pickett we end up with but too far down the Bolton road.

If Pickett’s not in the picture then my preference is using 9,16 on Bolton and taking 10 to the draft and nothing else. No Baker, no moving picks into next year.

1. Bolton & Pickett
2. Bolton only
3. Bolton and Baker

I don’t see realistically how we get both Bolton and Warner salaries to fit and I’m not keen on moving on any of our guys to make it happen.

9&10 for Bolton and decent chunk of salary paid by Richmond.

Fyfe and Walters off books after next year.

Trim some other fat.

Brayshaw will sign for less than worth, with the understanding he will be looked after by other means.

1. Bolton & Pickett
2. Bolton only
3. Bolton and Baker

Ideally it’s Warner and Pickett we end up with but too far down the Bolton road.
Yep , sure bakers an upgrade to the team but with this constant speculation surrounding Warner and Pickett and supposed cost both in trade and salary of baker Im sincerely hoping he chooses WC .

Sure a bird in the hand etc with regards we have no firm commitment from either of the others yet but honestly missing out on baker is not going to be the difference between a flag or not next year

Most of that improvement will come from natural growth of the squad , a distinct improvement in coaching and the addition of Bolten of course.

Plus we then get to add another elite youngster (you know walls is deadly with top picks)

Clubs so close , I really hope we don’t jump the shark now

9&10 for Bolton and decent chunk of salary paid by Richmond.

Fyfe and Walters off books after next year.

Trim some other fat.

Brayshaw will sign for less than worth, with the understanding he will be looked after by other means.
In my head I figure if Switkowski rumours are true that could open up some money. Would also make some sense in a trade for Pickett - if we threw in a pick itd allow them to continue contending in some capacity now as well as bring in a player for their future

Plus with guys like Tabs/Fyfe/Walters retiring over next 12 months who would all be on league average or more (I believe Tabs signed his last deal coming off an AA40 squad season, others would be closer to the 400-450 mark at a guess) it could open up some possibilities. Even more if we manage to move on Brodie and JOM (unsure if Hawks paid his whole salary or just first season?) over next two years.

I have no idea about our books, and as others have suggested we would be very top heavy if we got all three, but there may be some capacity to make it work?

At a minimum id expect us to be able to afford two of them, simply on the basis we wouldn't be chasing them otherwise. Im pretty confident theres no way we would have Shai agreeing to come and then we chase Chad as well if we didnt have the space available.

Would just need to get creative to afford Pickett in that scenario

Not sure why 9/10/27 for both Baker & Bolton isn’t floated more.
Over pay for Shai but probably a little under for Baker, but comes out in the wash

Because people would rather find a complicated solution to an otherwise seemingly obvious straight up package.

I’d even give 9,10,16 for the 2 with 21 back and some salary.

9,10&27 seems fairly straight forward too.

The clubs can haggle over later deals and weird pick exchanges that they often do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is Baker an upgrade on Wagner? Yes. Will he turn close losses into wins? Maybe but probably not. Then is he worth giving up a top 10 pick as part of a package? No. Should we focus on doing everything possible to use that top 10 pick and F1 into getting Kosi onto a plane with his family and gear next to Bolton? Yes.

is Baker an upgrade on Wagner? Yes. Will he turn close losses into wins? Maybe but probably not. Then is he worth giving up a top 10 pick as part of a package? No. Should we focus on doing everything possible to use that top 10 pick and F1 into getting Kosi onto a plane with his family and gear next to Bolton? Yes.
Excited Lets Go GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back