List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Without wanting to stoke any fires. Josh Gabelich mentioned as a passing shot at the end of the crunch time show (right after someone brought up trade radio) that, and I quote, "don't rule out Kossie Pickett moving clubs".

There, good luck sleeping.
Merry Christmas GIF by US National Archives

Without wanting to stoke any fires. Josh Gabelich mentioned as a passing shot at the end of the crunch time show (right after someone brought up trade radio) that, and I quote, "don't rule out Kossie Pickett moving clubs".

God dammit...
Confused Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

The fact people think Luke Ryan is just choosing to bomb it to packs unilaterally is hilarious. He's a laser the few times he's allowed higher up the ground, and varies the kick-ins when the circumstances call for something different.

Most importantly, a kick-in is just about the most controlled environment a team has. If JL didn't at least approve of it (if not actively encourage and instruct it), he'd say someone else takes the kick-in or to stop bombing to packs. And it would happen.

Reality is nobody really scores from kick-ins. We're a low scoring team from kick-in, at 3 points per game (rank 16th). Port are the highest with...5.9. It appears obvious that our philosophy regarding kick-ins is "a boundary stoppage outside d50 is a good result, anything better is a bonus".

I did some stats and posted it after one game following this perennial complaint about Ryan and discovered that several players took the kick-ins (not just Ryan), only 1 went long to a contest. Probably could look at all our games on opposition scoring to see how many 7 point plays there are immediately after a kick-in but I think you've covered some of that in the stats above. In the times when Ryan does kick to a pack our big guys have to get in there and compete rather than be outmarked or have their ruckman knock it back 15m into their scoring zone.

The bigger concerned would be about defending kick-ins after we score a point rather than our kick-ins after the opposition score a point. A few games we played this year and last where we've scored a point and after 2 opposition kicks we're given up so much territory that we're back trying to prevent the opposition winning a ball inside our defensive 50m.

That's the number reason I want JL gone. His lack of creativity makes it easy to scout.

We should have 5 or 6 set pieces from a kick out and it seems like we kick long 80-90% of the time.

Also, stated by others we have Ryan kicking out majority of the time. I want a kick out from a person who can hit the short and medium targets and the ability to carry the ball. We Ryan kicks out, the player guarding him is 40m from goal and stops any medium kick to the middle. If we have somebody who could run and carry, it stretches the zone.

JL needs to change this, or he needs to go.

That's the number reason I want JL gone. His lack of creativity makes it easy to scout.

We should have 5 or 6 set pieces from a kick out and it seems like we kick long 80-90% of the time.

Also, stated by others we have Ryan kicking out majority of the time. I want a kick out from a person who can hit the short and medium targets and the ability to carry the ball. We Ryan kicks out, the player guarding him is 40m from goal and stops any medium kick to the middle. If we have somebody who could run and carry, it stretches the zone.

JL needs to change this, or he needs to go.
I would have thought that kick outs would be the responsibility of the defense coach? The same as forward line setup should be the forward coach?

Without wanting to state the bleeding it would be exactly what our list needs to land both Pickett and Bolton. Watching that GF yesterday it occurred to me that the Brions just had multiple avenues to goal. Get one of those lads tearing it up and the Oppo coach all of a sudden takes his eyes off Treacy or Jye. It just makes us so, so much more dangerous offensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did some stats and posted it after one game following this perennial complaint about Ryan and discovered that several players took the kick-ins (not just Ryan), only 1 went long to a contest. Probably could look at all our games on opposition scoring to see how many 7 point plays there are immediately after a kick-in but I think you've covered some of that in the stats above. In the times when Ryan does kick to a pack our big guys have to get in there and compete rather than be outmarked or have their ruckman knock it back 15m into their scoring zone.

The bigger concerned would be about defending kick-ins after we score a point rather than our kick-ins after the opposition score a point. A few games we played this year and last where we've scored a point and after 2 opposition kicks we're given up so much territory that we're back trying to prevent the opposition winning a ball inside our defensive 50m.
Always kicks out towards the wing (river side) and Darcy and Jacko compete with each other, the opposition know the play , just dumb mix it up a bit

I feel like we were preparing ourselves for a mighty crack at Logan and Warner.

Then Treacy came on and Bolton enquired and we pivoted.

Baker has added intrigue.

Pickett has muddied the waters and there’s still Chad.

They may see Chad and Bolton as similar? So no rush on Chad and may wait until after next year.

Grab us a Bolton. Throw picks at Pickett.

Not the end of the world.
Swans need a KP backman , so Cox and 9 for the Chad

The fact people think Luke Ryan is just choosing to bomb it to packs unilaterally is hilarious. He's a laser the few times he's allowed higher up the ground, and varies the kick-ins when the circumstances call for something different.

Most importantly, a kick-in is just about the most controlled environment a team has. If JL didn't at least approve of it (if not actively encourage and instruct it), he'd say someone else takes the kick-in or to stop bombing to packs. And it would happen.

Reality is nobody really scores from kick-ins. We're a low scoring team from kick-in, at 3 points per game (rank 16th). Port are the highest with...5.9. It appears obvious that our philosophy regarding kick-ins is "a boundary stoppage outside d50 is a good result, anything better is a bonus".
thanks Casey...
So much stupidity focussed on Luke!
Players dont last a week if theyre doing there own thing.
Luke does the job hes been given.
All Australian Gem!

I’ve always liked Baker as a player and god damn we need someone like him particularly given his finals experience
Probably the closest thing to a Zorko we could hope for , just gives his all every game and isn’t soft

Hope he isn’t silly enough to waste his last years at that shit pile down the road

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back