List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any reason why not.

I’m not convinced Erasmus couldn’t come in next week and do a decent job as an inside mid at AFL level tbh. What’s needed for him is that opportunity, which isn’t coming when Fyfe, Young, Serong and Brayshaw are available. Moving Johnson or JOM in there and playing an extra outside mid or forward (Switta more midfield) seems a better balance too btw.

Interesting that all the talk of getting Logan MacDonald has died off with the emergence of Treacy.

The three pronged Amiss, Treacy, Macdonald attack would work teams over and allow Jackson to become a monster around the ground, playing wherever he is most damaging.

Chads gotta be the dream as priority 1, but Logan Mac should still be right up there as a trade target.

All chips in for Warner and Curtain. Warner is that goal kicking Mid/HF that we so desperately need. Chapman slides to a wing and Curtain instantly plugs into our back half with ease. 195cm, mobile defender that can play small and tall as well as potentially be a huge mid in years to come. His kicking is elite, which gives us Ryan, Clark, Aish and Curtain who have the skills to chisel one into the middle of the ground from D50. Baker is the back up if the previous two don't get up.

Ps. Imagine Charlie Cameron gets done for unders also which is a serious chance. The Vegas debacle is real...

Think that Emmett and Sturt would be fine as depth tbh. It’s not like many other clubs have first round draft pick small forwards running around in the state leagues. I’m certainly fine with waiting a year to add another small forward. Maybe rookie draft, SSP or 2025 MSD if we have the space to use that method.

Honestly think the other two picks should be used to either improve other areas of the best 22 (i.e. trading for Liam Baker) or drafting players we might need in 2-3 years time rather than now. The latter is what we normally do (see all the KPDs we’ve drafted) - we’ve just continually overlooked small forwards for some reason.

I think we need one more small forward now, plus one when Walters retires.

Emmett, Sturt, Banfield, O'Meara can fight it out for the last 2 spots, but currently 3 of them are in the side plus Walters.

I would be happy to use 2 picks on forward pockets, and 2 on outside mids who kicks goals.

No other big weaknesses in our side.

I think we need one more small forward now, plus one when Walters retires.

Emmett, Sturt, Banfield, O'Meara can fight it out for the last 2 spots, but currently 3 of them are in the side plus Walters.

I would be happy to use 2 picks on forward pockets, and 2 on outside mids who kicks goals.

No other big weaknesses in our side.
As I said earlier I think that another HBF will be required in 2-3 years to replace Aish. Whilst it doesn't feel like it, Wagner isn't much younger than Aish. Having a high-ish draft pick with 2-3 years development at Peel ready to go in 2027/2028 would be ideal.

If we can move Brodie off the list somehow I wouldn't be against adding another mid to eventually be in the running to replace Fyfe or JOM. Versatility would be key though - an inside mid that can only play there becomes like Brodie. Seems there's differing opinions on Brodie here but to me it looks like JL has pretty much put a line through his name. Needs 3-4 injuries to a specific group of 7-8 player to get a game (i.e. approx. 50% of those players) due to his lack of ability to play another position.

Manage the departure of a handful of slightly older players well and I think this group can compete for a while. Its nice to have a couple of extra picks this year to plan for that early.

Good idea to continually turn over the list imo.

I might be in the minority but I wouldn’t mind the club strengthening at half back. Might not look like we need it now but Aish is 30 next year and Wagner isn’t far behind him. Having someone with 2-3 years development to come in a few years down the track would be useful. The player I’d suggest wouldn’t be switching WAFL sides if we drafted him - really liked the look of Allan but it seems more draft watchers are starting to come around.
Worner and Stanley off half back maybe.

It doesn’t matter a damn what we feel.
It’s what the list manager at the club feels is what matters. Blake acres found that out the hard way.

The reality is a lot of players are signed relatively long term at freo and there is probably a limit to the amount we can extend to 2027 and beyond now. Four draft picks inside 24 means there will be some reasonable list turnover again at the end of the season. (Minimum 6 or 7 players to be moved on in some shape or form I reckon).

I would expect Banfield to get Band 3 compensation if he left to somewhere else based on his age.

That's currently pick #34

That's your calculation there. Does that selection offer more value to the squad than Bailey Banfield? I'd argue it does not.

I'd be hoping to have a pretty good look at Stanley on the wing for 2025. He's just going through that rough injury/first years period at the moment..

What traits does he have that make you think that?

He can find the ball at WAFL level…then I struggle
I don't think he can be a star and I'm down on him like several others but he could be a cheap long term supporting mid. When the rest of your midfield is stacked the supporting glue guy can be useful

As I said earlier I think that another HBF will be required in 2-3 years to replace Aish. Whilst it doesn't feel like it, Wagner isn't much younger than Aish. Having a high-ish draft pick with 2-3 years development at Peel ready to go in 2027/2028 would be ideal.

If we can move Brodie off the list somehow I wouldn't be against adding another mid to eventually be in the running to replace Fyfe or JOM. Versatility would be key though - an inside mid that can only play there becomes like Brodie. Seems there's differing opinions on Brodie here but to me it looks like JL has pretty much put a line through his name. Needs 3-4 injuries to a specific group of 7-8 player to get a game (i.e. approx. 50% of those players) due to his lack of ability to play another position.

Manage the departure of a handful of slightly older players well and I think this group can compete for a while. Its nice to have a couple of extra picks this year to plan for that early.
Does Curtain potentially cover both of these positions? A young half back who can contribute straight away, with potential to be a big bodied mid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he can be a star and I'm down on him like several others but he could be a cheap long term supporting mid. When the rest of your midfield is stacked the supporting glue guy can be useful
Rowbotham at the Swans being the obvious current example.

Wish we could loan Erasmus to another club to get some AFL experience because he really isn't getting anything at wafl level where the game is slower but he is an absolute liability at AFL level. (Does then beg the question why anyone would loan him without getting his eventual AFL standard games)

Wish we could loan Erasmus to another club to get some AFL experience because he really isn't getting anything at wafl level where the game is slower but he is an absolute liability at AFL level. (Does then beg the question why anyone would loan him without getting his eventual AFL standard games)
He's fine if you play him inside. We just never do.

Erasmus could turn into a 200 game version of Matt Kennedy at Carlton, Tom Sparrow at Melbourne, Jack Graham at Richmond.
I think based on what we have seen that would be a par/average result for him from here.

If you were at the optimistic end of the spectrum on his development pathway from here - you might hope he emerges to be similar to a 200 game version of Jacob Hopper, Tom Rockliff (who peaked at AA level actually), Matt Crouch.
Something along those lines - a very good player but not a true superstar.

If things go poorly for him in terms of development from here he could end up battling his way to 100 games across two or three clubs like Darcy Tucker, Conor Blakely, Luke Dunstan. That’s probably a worst case scenario.

We have to be realistic here too - can’t expect a 200 game All Australian from every single pick we make in the first round. It just doesn’t work like that in the AFL, even allowing for how good David Walls is.

We have four very useful draft picks in this year's draft - this doesn't happen often. Whilst we can speculate about trading these picks to bring in some ready made players, with the team already on a promising trajectory we could think of the future. In the ideal world, we would have a long production line of solid players developing in the seconds ready to step into the firsts when opportunity arises and when some of the older players move on. In the long term, we need to have these guys developing without the need to throw them into the firsts before they are ready.

In addition, with Tassie coming into the competition soon and likely a few years of compromised drafts, it would be good to get a bit of a jump on other teams here.

We have four very useful draft picks in this year's draft - this doesn't happen often. Whilst we can speculate about trading these picks to bring in some ready made players, with the team already on a promising trajectory we could think of the future. In the ideal world, we would have a long production line of solid players developing in the seconds ready to step into the firsts when opportunity arises and when some of the older players move on. In the long term, we need to have these guys developing without the need to throw them into the firsts before they are ready.

In addition, with Tassie coming into the competition soon and likely a few years of compromised drafts, it would be good to get a bit of a jump on other teams here.
Do both. A couple for today (picks that is) a couple for tomorrow. I would be looking at bringing in guys now to cover those players coming in to their late 20's / 30's for tomorrow picks. We are pretty blessed not many of those and a young overall list with some even younger back up in the sheds. Pick for need now (small forward to replace Son Son, another winger?) or go all in for the Chad

my thoughts:
  • we have been in this comp 30 years for 0 premierships
  • we have the most talented team we have ever had across the 23.
  • we have solid depth when we need it
  • our age/experience profile is coming into the window over the next few seasons.
  • the next couple of years or so we have the most number of non-Vic teams facing up to finals

So, yes we could worry about our list profile in 5 years time (which will still be smart regardless), or
use some good picks to pull that final piece of the puzzle (star goal-kicking mid/forward and/or small goal kicking talent) that could be which gets us over the line at least once the next few years.
I suggest the latter. Whether it's The Chad, Petracca, Kosi, or anyone else we can crowbar out of their team, I don't care as long as they as good enough, fit our culture, and will make the difference, i.e. they need to be really worth it and make our team better (i.e. Jackson style). We saw what Bobby did at the Pies last year and in the GF. I would like someone who can do that please - the icing on the cake. I would rather be rebuilding in 5 years and spending my weekends watching re-runs of our GF wins.

This is exactly my line of thinking.

I imagine we'd need to be drafting in replacements for aging players that will retire/be poached during those compromised drafts.

Need a bit of a crystal ball to get it right I think. Or David Walls.

Need a bit of a crystal ball to get it right I think. Or David Walls.
It is inevitable that whatever picks we use to trade a player in, there will be posters here crying, 'but we could have drafted -insert young-gun players name here- for pick 12!'

Wouldn't want Walls job, but glad Walls has Walls job. He seems pretty astute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back