List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

He's got a long way to go to become a starting ruck
Couldn't care less about his hit out ability - as long as he can provide a basic physical contest in the ruck. What matters is can he take a mark, kick the ball and move around the ground. From the little I've seen, he has that kind of potential.

So what’s the chances of going after Mattaes Phillipou? He’s now the only SA kid drafted interstate who was a top 10 pick in the past 10 years that hasn’t requested a trade. Should try to get him purely to dissuade other states from recruiting SA lads in the future.
I think it sends a signal, esp to non “big clubs” about the inherent risk associated with drafting top SA lads. Both Power and us will be coming hard at any elite talent taken and coming hard early in their careers.

Now I acknowledge it may very well have little impact but it doesn’t hurt IMO - and there’s no downside - for interstate list managers when they have marginal calls to make to have that lingering doubt or concern.

Glad both clubs are going very hard at every SA lad in recent years and I am quietly confident we did with Mattie’s again this year (along with Day last year, and Powers ongoing speculated interest in Pickett). NWM another candidate over the next couple of years

Couldn't care less about his hit out ability - as long as he can provide a basic physical contest in the ruck. What matters is can he take a mark, kick the ball and move around the ground. From the little I've seen, he has that kind of potential.
He does, but he's a year away from that at least.

And you do need hit-out ability, all the best have that AND the other stuff

He does, but he's a year away from that at least.

And you do need hit-out ability, all the best have that AND the other stuff
He looks a really promising player does Toby. Getting both he and his brother are actually great ticks to our recruitment team, and if you look at how much Nick has improved since he was Toby’s age then he could end up a gem. He is also obviously taller so probably a year or two behind development wise.

His ability forward is also going to be a huge plus if he comes on, as it gives us the ability to get Tillthorpe involved in the game more if they say spend 50/50 forward and ruck. Ultimately Tillthorpe’s career will be severely limited if he spends most of it as just a tall forward.

We are also very keen on Sam Draper who is a FA next year, and he also has massive potential forward of the ball. So if we can get him, and Toby keeps improving, then we will have 3 really good options for rucking/forward going forward.

He looks a really promising player does Toby. Getting both he and his brother are actually great ticks to our recruitment team, and if you look at how much Nick has improved since he was Toby’s age then he could end up a gem. He is also obviously taller so probably a year or two behind development wise.

His ability forward is also going to be a huge plus if he comes on, as it gives us the ability to get Tillthorpe involved in the game more if they say spend 50/50 forward and ruck. Ultimately Tillthorpe’s career will be severely limited if he spends most of it as just a tall forward.

We are also very keen on Sam Draper who is a FA next year, and he also has massive potential forward of the ball. So if we can get him, and Toby keeps improving, then we will have 3 really good options for rucking/forward going forward.
I just dunno about Draper, his good is pretty good but his bad is worse than ROB

I just dunno about Draper, his good is pretty good but his bad is worse than ROB
Came to footy very late, but apart from his injury this year his trajectory has been really good. Size/power/athletisiscm combination is off the charts.

Will get even better when he realizes how bad that mullet is.

If we were smart and ruthless we’d open a spot for a ruckman by paying out Strachan. Is definitively not playing AFL next year if we bring in a Heath or Knobel type, so makes no difference whether we cop his salary now or next year, the result is a non-AFL player on our list regardless. Would be on a dirt cheap contract too. We lose a little cap space but gain a list spot.

Came to footy very late, but apart from his injury this year his trajectory has been really good. Size/power/athletisiscm combination is off the charts.

I'm stunned that you think that about Draper. He's 5% wow and 95% bottom 5 ruck in the AFL.

I'm stunned that you think that about Draper. He's 5% wow and 95% bottom 5 ruck in the AFL.
Not just me, I’m led to believe that the club is very keen on him. Obviously Has to get continuity on the injury side to unlock his potential, but 205cm with his speed and power if he gets it right, could be anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what’s the chances of going after Mattaes Phillipou? He’s now the only SA kid drafted interstate who was a top 10 pick in the past 10 years that hasn’t requested a trade. Should try to get him purely to dissuade other states from recruiting SA lads in the future.

I think he is one of these kids that is loving the footy mad lifestyle of Melbourne, and will be hard to encourage to come back to SA

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s your opinion and it’s fine, I posted it largely for your opinion as I know you see plenty of these guys. It was just a perspective I had not heard before, so was curious if others shared it. This source has worked in recruiting for a decade and has seen far more vision of these guys than most of us ever have, so when I heard this I thought it was worth sharing.
Let's hope so as if ROB is injured 2025 then we may need an option that can run out a game!

I think it sends a signal, esp to non “big clubs” about the inherent risk associated with drafting top SA lads. Both Power and us will be coming hard at any elite talent taken and coming hard early in their careers.

Now I acknowledge it may very well have little impact but it doesn’t hurt IMO - and there’s no downside - for interstate list managers when they have marginal calls to make to have that lingering doubt or concern.

Glad both clubs are going very hard at every SA lad in recent years and I am quietly confident we did with Mattie’s again this year (along with Day last year, and Powers ongoing speculated interest in Pickett). NWM another candidate over the next couple of years
This is very true. And it's a good thing.

It was also interesting that Fagan said Brisbane have made it a policy to draft Vic Country kids over Metro because they stay longer. Also that the actively try and draft friends together.
Sounds a lot like our plans as well (except for the friends bit perhaps).

This is very true. And it's a good thing.

It was also interesting that Fagan said Brisbane have made it a policy to draft Vic Country kids over Metro because they stay longer. Also that the actively try and draft friends together.
Sounds a lot like our plans as well (except for the friends bit perhaps).
Brisbane also tried to draft in pairs (e.g. McCluggage and Berry, Wilmot and Lohmann) to encourage retention. Get the best player first then use a later pick to pair him up, when the right player is available. Seems to have been an effective strategy.

If we were smart and ruthless we’d open a spot for a ruckman by paying out Strachan. Is definitively not playing AFL next year if we bring in a Heath or Knobel type, so makes no difference whether we cop his salary now or next year, the result is a non-AFL player on our list regardless. Would be on a dirt cheap contract too. We lose a little cap space but gain a list spot.
100%. I don’t know how he’s lasted 5-6 years on the list already.

I think he is one of these kids that is loving the footy mad lifestyle of Melbourne, and will be hard to encourage to come back to SA

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not so sure and I know we've put a lot of work into him. Something that could help is start putting plenty of work into his midfielder/forward brother Jevan who has also shown a heap of talent for WWT as an underager kicking big bags of goals when played forward. Made the 38 man squad for the Nationals this year so he's well and truly on the AFL radar.

Brisbane also tried to draft in pairs (e.g. McCluggage and Berry, Wilmot and Lohmann) to encourage retention. Get the best player first then use a later pick to pair him up, when the right player is available. Seems to have been an effective strategy.
I guess we tried to do that with McAsey/Worrell... can't say it worked out in full, though 😬

He'd be on a minimum wage, absolutely bottom dollar. We may need him one more year though esp. if TMurray is still filling out, but I'd like to see Murray start to play ruck in the SANFL this year if that's his trajectory.

I would still hate him

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back