List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You need a mix
Unfortunately most of our older players either too old for this group - or pretty average. That’s why we need to be recruiting heavily

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed. It's the main reason our average age/games went backwards this year.
We had to start playing recently drafted kids.
Our list of over 100 games played is skinny in quality.
We only have 14 players in the 50-100 games played group.

Of those 14
Milera
Jones
McHenry
Schoenberg
Himmelberg
Then Rankine and Thilthorpe missed large parts of the season

Our over 100 games experienced players
Walker
Smith
Laird

Crouch
Keays
Dawson
O'Brien
Murphy
Fogarty

Add the high draft pick misses
Picks for Gibbs
Gallucci
McAsey
Milera
Pedlar
Jones
Mchenry
Schoenberg

Agreed. It's the main reason our average age/games went backwards this year.
We had to start playing recently drafted kids.
Our list of over 100 games played is skinny in quality.
We only have 14 players in the 50-100 games played group.

Of those 14
Milera
Jones
McHenry
Schoenberg
Himmelberg
Then Rankine and Thilthorpe missed large parts of the season

Our over 100 games experienced players
Walker
Smith
Laird

Crouch
Keays
Dawson
O'Brien
Murphy
Fogarty

Add the high draft pick misses
Picks for Gibbs
Gallucci
McAsey
Milera
Pedlar
Jones
Mchenry
Schoenberg
milera and pedlar are not misses

schoenberg was not first rounder

the rest fair enough. jones can still make it but 50/50

What does Melbourne do if we only offer an F2?

Say no and expect ANB to retire?

What ANB does is not their concern, under the rules, he suits up with them or sits out of the game. I think they'll be fair and F2 is plenty enough goodwill from our end. Too much really, it could be as low as early 20s. 3rd this year should do it, but we need the pick.

2020,2021,2022,2023,2024 that’s 5 years by my reckoning.
You're half-right. We're 5 years into the rebuild. That's a very different thing from saying that the rebuild was only expected to take 5 years. Complete rebuilds frequently take 7-10 years, and that's assuming you get things right the first time around.

Anything less than 7 years is abnormal. Not saying it doesn't happen - but it's rare.

2017-2019 we missed 4 firsts, of which 2 were pretty high. The jury is still out on Pedlar - so it could be 5 misses (I still hold hope) but that is what has completely derailed any average to above average rebuild turnaround (on top of losing Charlie, Mitch and Lever)

Drafting has clearly improved - but we are still paying the price
Add to that zero success stories from the 2016 draft too. Guys who would be entering their prime and FA era now.

Fingers crossed our younger draftees like Dowling, Taylor, Edwards etc can start to fill the voids we hoped that Gallucci, McHenry etc would fill.

You're half-right. We're 5 years into the rebuild. That's a very different thing from saying that the rebuild was only expected to take 5 years. Complete rebuilds frequently take 7-10 years, and that's assuming you get things right the first time around.

Anything less than 7 years is abnormal. Not saying it doesn't happen - but it's rare.
No one said that, drugs the post you replied to didn’t say that, the only thing we can go on is what the club has said during the year, which leads us to believe they think it’s done.

milera and pedlar are not misses

schoenberg was not first rounder

the rest fair enough. jones can still make it but 50/50

Pedlar was a pick 11 playing his 3rd season and was dropped to the 2s, he's currently a miss, but there's still hope. Milera is a miss, but mostly due to injury that has robbed him of years plus his pace. Even Jones' best year last year was a failure given the pick he was drafted at.

No one said that, drugs the post you replied to didn’t say that, the only thing we can go on is what the club has said during the year, which leads us to believe they think it’s done.
There's also a difference between having the players on the list, and having a team that's ready to contend. They may well think that they have the players on the list now (or most of them), but are still several years of development away from being a contender.

Don't forget that for most players there's a lag of several years between being drafted and playing anywhere near their best.

If rumours are to be believed and we’re after Peatling, on top of ANB, then no need for Owies.

Even if not, I think our draft and trade capital is better spent elsewhere.
Peatling would surely play as a mid, but either way I don't see a need for Owies. If there was a need for a small forward, it would be a young one with speed and ability to pressure

Amacca 23

Are you that stupid. I had my posting privileges removed from that thread.

I didn't disappear after getting called out. I left to keep the peace and avoid the back and forth pointless argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club insinuated the rebuild was done at the end of last season and throughout the preseason, after 0-4 though the messaging changed to a lot of “we’re still a very inexperienced side” lol

Last edited:
Pedlar was a pick 11 playing his 3rd season and was dropped to the 2s, he's currently a miss, but there's still hope. Milera is a miss, but mostly due to injury that has robbed him of years plus his pace. Even Jones' best year last year was a failure given the pick he was drafted at.
disagree they have both suffered ongoing injuries

pedlar showed plenty and not even being played as a mid

There's also a difference between having the players on the list, and having a team that's ready to contend. They may well think that they have the players on the list now (or most of them), but are still several years of development away from being a contender.

Don't forget that for most players there's a lag of several years between being drafted and playing anywhere near their best.

A week before our opening bounce Silvers was talking about returning to finals.

Yep and Nicks in his season launch speech.

After last year they definitely expected to make the 8 and were patting themselves on the back before the season even started.

I still laugh at the hubris when Tex said 'and we're better this year' off nothing more than internal trials and a preseason hitout.

So ideal list changes...

Outs
Sloane retired
Smith sanfl / sanfl assistant coach
Burgess delisted
Strachan delisted
Parnell delisted
McHenry trade for F4
Gollant for 3rd rounder

Ins:
(T Murray)
Cumming FA