Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt he could, he can play almost anywhere so doesn't need to be a 100% mid which is part of the appeal.
Yep it’s another reason Smillie stands out
Can play mid and as a utility

With his size he’s very unique and a point of difference that gives a list flexibility

Would Smillie have value as a half back? Playing that Sheezel role, except 194cm.

If he can be a gun at that then he'd fill that need without having to put another undersized player back there.
No chance he’s a HB. Doesn’t have the leg speed. He will naturally get faster in a FT environment but not quick enough for HB. Pure mid is the kid.

Can’t take another sub 180-182 midfielder unless they are the next Gary Ablett.

We need a big powerful mid to balance us out.

i think think this is the year we trade out first and second and get a gun mature mid - like brisbane did with lackie neale

The only gun mature mids in the right age bracket for that type of draft capital are currently:

Nick Daicos
Matt Rowell
Caleb Serong
Zak Butters
Noah Anderson
Errol Gulden
Chad Warner
Tom Green
Jai Newcombe
Will Day
Hayden Young
JHF

So which one are we getting?

In fact, based on CD and AFL ratings we already have 4 that belong on that list in LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw and Powell (just below Young).

The left field option I wouldn’t mind exploring at the end of the year is Adam Treloar when ignoring age and someone who I think might be undervalued.

Can’t take another sub 180-182 midfielder unless they are the next Gary Ablett.

We need a big powerful mid to balance us out.

FOS is basically a more athletic McCluggage with better contested ability and better overhead.

Think a slightly less mecurial Daniel Wells but with the same engine as Sheezel or McKercher.

He’s someone we could fit in I think….

I think the entire strategy will surround if we legitimately think LDU resigns next year.

I think this board is a bit harsh on Smillie. There's a lot of focus on what he isn't, and perhaps not enough appreciation for the offensive impact that he is having in the Coates league.

That said, I wouldn't mind FOS being the pick. I think he has the highest floor in the draft, and barring injury is an incredibly safe bet to be a 200+ game gem. He fits in with the types we have very well, and I've mentioned it before in this thread but FOS, Sheezel, and McKercher is an outrageous combination of class and running power that we'd be combining in the middle.

We're putting the final touches on our next premiership midfield and taking FOS feels like such a layup in this situation, compared to the risk that comes with Smillie.

Going back to Sheezel and McKercher, Rawlings and Clayton rated them both incredibly highly, which I think suggests they made lean towards FOS here.

I don't think many realised how huge of a call taking Sheezel over Wardlaw was. It ended up not mattering, since thanks to JHF we took both, but it does give some insight into what we're looking for at the top of the order. I think a healthy Wardlaw was easily a better prospect than Smillie, and FOS against Sheezel is a fun debate that I'll leave for those who were higher on Sheezel at the time.

Anyways, a quick google search shows Twomey having Wardlaw ahead of Sheezel back in July of 2022, and we may see history repeat with us flipping the top of the order yet again.

Gerryn is one too watch. 199cm freak athlete, plays mainly as an athletic ruckman in the colts, but finally played forward in the champs and it paid off with him kicking 3. Elite below his knees, big spring in his jumping, contested marking threat. Plenty to like there.

Not guaranteed No1 pick. Louge back soon. Mc Kercher back. Duursma ready to go after some VFL time. KPF maybe at 1st pick then. Gee looked to make a big difference on the weekend with other tall forwards next to Larkey
Yeah. Early days still but we had a tough first half of the year and were always likely to improve after the break. Given the large improvement we've had you wouldn't be betting on us not overtaking a team or two.

So excited with your view point…..the Koroit locals here have HUGE wraps on him…l hope we do….pick the best talented footballer ….
And another like Sheeze and Kerch who have aerobic capacity and smarts to make immediate impact.

McKercher Sheezel O’Sullivan

That is a centre line with some spunk right there.

The only gun mature mids in the right age bracket for that type of draft capital are currently:

Nick Daicos
Matt Rowell
Caleb Serong
Zak Butters
Noah Anderson
Errol Gulden
Chad Warner
Tom Green
Jai Newcombe
Will Day
Hayden Young
JHF

In fact, based on CD and AFL ratings we already have 4 that belong on that list in LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw and Powell (just below Young).

The left field option I wouldn’t mind exploring at the end of the year is Adam Treloar when ignoring age and someone who I think might be undervalued.

how the hell are sheezel and wardlaw mature?...not to mention half the list you provided.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Daicos
Matt Rowell
Caleb Serong
Zak Butters
Noah Anderson
Errol Gulden
Chad Warner
Tom Green
Jai Newcombe
Will Day
Hayden Young
JHF

Treloar is my smoky for the Brownlow. The dogs might have to go all the way for him to consider it.

Not guaranteed No1 pick. Louge back soon. Mc Kercher back. Duursma ready to go after some VFL time. KPF maybe at 1st pick then. Gee looked to make a big difference on the weekend with other tall forwards next to Larkey
100% at this rate we could easily finish above tigers and end up with pick 2

how the hell are sheezel and wardlaw mature?...not to mention half the list you provided.....

How the hell was Lachie Neale mature at 24 when he moved from Freo? Which is the post I responded to.

You aren't trading Pick 1 & Pick 19 for a 28 or 29 year old midfielder like Bontempelli, Cripps, Josh Kelly or Petracca.

Butters, Serong, Rowell, Anderson, Warner & (LDU) are pretty much the only mids 22-25 that are worth that outlay.

Everyone else is too old, or not good enough, to command that level of trade value.

How the hell was Lachie Neale mature at 24 when he moved from Freo? Which is the post I responded to.

You aren't trading Pick 1 & Pick 19 for a 28 or 29 year old midfielder like Bontempelli, Cripps, Josh Kelly or Petracca.

Butters, Serong, Rowell, Anderson, Warner & (LDU) are pretty much the only mids 22-25 that are worth that outlay.

Everyone else is too old, or not good enough, to command that level of trade value.
I'd probably pay that for Sheezel and there's probably a few others but yeah, fair call IMO. Trades like that have to be for a player moving right into their prime, fit and ready to deliver minimum 5 years of peak football.

I'd probably pay that for Sheezel and there's probably a few others but yeah, fair call IMO. Trades like that have to be for a player moving right into their prime, fit and ready to deliver minimum 5 years of peak football.

Thats right.

Ideally spending that draft capital you have a midfielder entering or just into his prime with 100-150 games in the tank.

Get Smiles with pick 1 and then figure out the rest after that.
Kids a gun and our midfield will be all first rounders with majority in the top 5 range.
Freakish stuff there.

Get Smiles with pick 1 and then figure out the rest after that.
Kids a gun and our midfield will be all first rounders with majority in the top 5 range.
Freakish stuff there.
At some point in the next 18-24 months a highly rated kid is going to come in, look around and see Sheezel, Wardlaw, LDU, McKercher et al with 50-100+ games under their belt and get an absolute ride of a first season playing 5th fiddle to some absolute guns. Will be a lot nicer career start than some of these guys had to endure.

Playing predominantly forward, Gerreyn showed how dangerous he can be as a threat in the air and on the ground. At 199cm he's still capable of swooping on loose balls to create scoring opportunities for himself or his teammates with lovely skills by hand or on either foot.

He is going to be a monster once he fills out. Hawkins/Dixon mould.

At some point in the next 18-24 months a highly rated kid is going to come in, look around and see Sheezel, Wardlaw, LDU, McKercher et al with 50-100+ games under their belt and get an absolute ride of a first season playing 5th fiddle to some absolute guns. Will be a lot nicer career start than some of these guys had to endure.

If LDU leaves or is thought to be gone, Smillie makes sense this year. It gives him 12 months under LDU and another year into Wardlaw in the mean time.

In most other scenarios FOS makes sense.

FOS, McKercher and Sheezel is an unmatched running engine room in the comp with LDU (possibly), Wardlaw and Powell inside of them.

If LDU leaves or is thought to be gone, Smillie makes sense this year. It gives him 12 months under LDU and another year into Wardlaw in the mean time.

In most other scenarios FOS makes sense.

FOS, McKercher and Sheezel is an unmatched running engine room in the comp with LDU (possibly), Wardlaw and Powell inside of them.
And another like Sheeze and Kerch who have aerobic capacity and smarts to make immediate impact.

McKercher Sheezel O’Sullivan

That is a centre line with some spunk right there.

Yep…lm quietly hoping O’Sullivan is in 💙🤍

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back