Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect you don't know what a priority pick is.

None of the North players you listed were priority picks.
The closest is Duursma, who was acquired as a compo pick for Mackay (pick 3 pushed out to 4).
All the others were from finishing way down on the ladder (and 1 of Wardlaw/Sheezel from a pick trade involving JHF).

Sydney, GC, GWS and to a lesser extent Brisbane have been gifted star draftees on the cheap thanks to the AFL's desire to artificially maneuver/keep the non-football states at the top end of the ladder.

The one bit of priority you did get, was the 2 second rounders that you were compelled to trade away (Fisher and Stephens, I think).

Sorry for the intrusion, but this is my hobby horse. I hate that the game has been stuffed by the AFL's draft tampering (and de-regulation of player movement). It sucks and is getting worse. The fact that so many idiots (including a bunch on our Hawks board) were up in arms about the pissy compo North got, is depressing. People are genuinely stupid.

Sarcasm not lost on you.

It was very much dripping in sarcasm with the face with rolling eyes emoji in the post, referencing how opposition supporters think we were given these players as assistance. The clickbait headlines are mostly to blame.

Ah. My bad.
I am not emoji literate, unfortunately.
Can read the wink emoji and the turd emoji, and that's about it.

Ah. My bad.
I am not emoji literate, unfortunately.
Can read the wink emoji and the turd emoji, and that's about it.
Again, I bring in we should have a sarcastic emoji to remove misinterpretations such as these

I dunno, im no draft guru. I just really like what I see. Been looking at the drafts since we’ve been shit but never really had a huge interest in it before that. Just the top picks. This Gerreyn kid is something else.

All the rage is small forwards, but if you have a 200cm brick shit house in that 50 with vice like hands and can kick the leather off it with accuracy.. thats an impressive unit.
This comes from very good mail Duck, KG’s life plan is a long AFL career, so he definitely wont be leaving any stone unturned in his pursuit of success.

Pretty much every club has spoken to him too.

Early crow. Willem top 3

I don’t know what the fuss is about with young Willem. Needs to find a position and needs to go harder in the contest.

I’ll back Louie Emmett or Cooper Duff-Tyler to be ahead of Willem this time next year.

Sharp will be 1 though. You can take that to the bank.

I dunno, im no draft guru. I just really like what I see. Been looking at the drafts since we’ve been shit but never really had a huge interest in it before that. Just the top picks. This Gerreyn kid is something else.

All the rage is small forwards, but if you have a 200cm brick shit house in that 50 with vice like hands and can kick the leather off it with accuracy.. thats an impressive unit.
I'm all aboard the G-Train.
Cbs Fbi GIF by Wolf Entertainment

Yeah but what’s the G’s spot?
It's a myth (jokes). No idea where he'll get taken in terms of the draft.
ESPN has him at 17 from memory. Twomey has him outside 40 so no real consensus.
You'd think Freo at 16, WCE at 23 (if they don't have to give that up for Baker), Freo at 27, NM at 40 would be unreal.
Saints (24), Essendon (28), Hawks (30), Pies (33), Cats (35), Demons (38), Tigers (39).
Other than that the other teams around that have key forwards so it'll be very interesting to see when Gerreyn is picked.
Really hard to know because some other teams might have different priorities in the 20-40 range.

Happy to trade with anyone provided the 2 selections they send allow us to select 2 of the 3 I mentioned
Its going to be so intriguing this draft, I'll be quite shocked if we pick two small forwards with our first two picks, I totally get what your saying and in a way I agree, but a key forward with our first pick if we can split it in my opinion is a must in this draft, and our second pick then be used on Berry, Hotton, Reid or Hannaford. Just in case someone wonders why those four players, this is why;
Berry: Quite simply, one of the two best kicks in the draft, add that Alastair loves guys that can use the footy in that way + he's a real old fashioned rover, can go in the middle and knows how to kick a goal, what is there not to like?
Hotton: The "X factor", gee whiz what would he have gone had he not had an injury before the champs? What if he took the championships by the scruff of the neck and said, "This is what I can do, at the national draft, pass on me at your own peril"!
Reid: Smart, clever and quick thinking are what I would use to describe Murphy, he's not fast but he's not slow, like the other two, knows where the goals are and can play further up the ground.
Hannaford: "The surprise packet", his ferocity at the contest would please recruiters as well as his ability to kick goals from anywhere, real little dynamo and is sprinting up the draft board quicker than "Black Caviar", like all of the boys has some things to work on but a real little pest who will create problems for opposition defenders that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its going to be so intriguing this draft, I'll be quite shocked if we pick two small forwards with our first two picks, I totally get what your saying and in a way I agree, but a key forward with our first pick if we can split it in my opinion is a must in this draft, and our second pick then be used on Berry, Hotton, Reid or Hannaford. Just in case someone wonders why those four players, this is why;
Berry: Quite simply, one of the two best kicks in the draft, add that Alastair loves guys that can use the footy in that way + he's a real old fashioned rover, can go in the middle and knows how to kick a goal, what is there not to like?
Hotton: The "X factor", gee whiz what would he have gone had he not had an injury before the champs? What if he took the championships by the scruff of the neck and said, "This is what I can do, at the national draft, pass on me at your own peril"!
Reid: Smart, clever and quick thinking are what I would use to describe Murphy, he's not fast but he's not slow, like the other two, knows where the goals are and can play further up the ground.
Hannaford: "The surprise packet", his ferocity at the contest would please recruiters as well as his ability to kick goals from anywhere, real little dynamo and is sprinting up the draft board quicker than "Black Caviar", like all of the boys has some things to work on but a real little pest who will create problems for opposition defenders that's for sure.
Yeah there is no doubt if we are able to split our 1st we will be drafting a tall and a small forward with those picks.

Yep it's going to be a fascinating trade week. Do we pull the trigger on sliding back from pick 2 or trading our F1 then or wait until draft night? West Coast kinda made the call in trade week which conditioned the fans.
Is that the right thing to do when we don't exactly know who Tigers will pick so we might wait until draft night.
Could there be extra leverage from the offers from other teams if somebody is on the board at 2 they really want?

We might not be able to get Hannaford or Berry if we can't get another teens pick from 2, 22 & F2 or our F1.
Perhaps that's why we're considering sliding from 2 or putting the F1 on the table because our 2nd rounder would be so far back at around 24/25 after compo picks for Battle, Perryman and Cumming potentially either after their 1st or end of 1st.
I'd be targeting GC pick 26 with our F2 if we don't move our F1 and we can't get into the teens.

Yep it's going to be a fascinating trade week. Do we pull the trigger on sliding back from pick 2 or trading our F1 then or wait until draft night? West Coast kinda made the call in trade week which conditioned the fans.
Is that the right thing to do when we don't exactly know who Tigers will pick so we might wait until draft night.
Could there be extra leverage from the offers from other teams if somebody is on the board at 2 they really want?

We might not be able to get Hannaford or Berry if we can't get another teens pick from 2, 22 & F2 or our F1.
Perhaps that's why we're considering sliding from 2 or putting the F1 on the table because our 2nd rounder would be so far back at around 24/25 after compo picks for Battle, Perryman and Cumming potentially either after their 1st or end of 1st.
I'd be targeting GC pick 26 with our F2 if we don't move our F1 and we can't get into the teens.
I've got a feeling that if Dan does select Carlton that our future first could still be used for this draft whether we can split or not, we can if we're able, with the players in this draft to GET EVERYBODY WE WANT, its like people don't care or are too set in their ways, trust me folks, if ever there was a draft to fast forward our rebuild, this is it! By the way, for people who talk about next years draft I'm well aware who's in it and that is another reason to do it, I always look one to two drafts ahead to see what's the talent like and should we actually do it?

For a long time {maybe apart from Harley, I was for it if we wanted to give up the draft capital required to get him but also wanted Colby and the Whiz, but I knew we were going to pick Zane, we had to} I have said to people "no", don't split, don't trade, this is the first time in a long time where it makes perfect sense to split and the quality of players we would be getting , talent wise is extremely high, and spread out into positions we are craving for, its a win/win situation. Worst case scenario is we trade in a future second rounder so there's plenty of ways we can go, keep your eyes on the trade period because that just might be a clue.

While I think we'll go a key forward then a small forward, the only spanner in the works in my opinion is one player, that player while quite raw is dripping with potential and that "spanner" is Alix Tauru, "the flying Viking" or as I call him "the cool swede", and no he doesn't play tennis.

For anyone who is keen on trading our F1. Best to watch the u17 futures game to get an idea on what you might be missing out on. Some names that are high on my list include: Louis Emmett, Archie Ludowyke, Fred Rodrieguez, Dyson Sharp, Felix Kneipp, Cooper Duff-Tyrtler, Riley Onley and Tarion Ah-Mu.

Looking likely that next year is shaping up as a bumper draft class too.

TEAM HEPPELL​

#NAMESTATESTATE LEAGUE CLUBCOMMUNITY CLUB
1Thomas BurtonVIC MWestern JetsPoint Cook
2Charlie BanfieldWAClaremontSwanbourne
3Harley BarkerSASturtMt Barker
4Luke CandySAGlenelgBrighton
5Lachlan CarmichaelNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyMosman
6Samuel CummingSANorth AdelaideWentworth
7Willem DuursmaVIC CGippsland PowerFoster
8Bailey-Dean LatanisNSW/ACTGWS Giants AcademyIngleburn
9Josh LindsayVIC CGeelong FalconsNewtown & Chilwell
10Thomas McGuaneVIC MWestern JetsKeilor
11Dylan PattersonQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
12Kalen RussellNTNT Academy/SturtDarwin Buffaloes
13Wes WalleyWASubiacoWarwick Greenwood
14Daniel AnnableQLDBrisbane Lions AcademyRedland-Victoria Point
15Noah ChamberlainNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyEast Sydney
16Louis EmmettVIC MOakleigh ChargersGlen Iris
17Oliver GreevesVIC MEastern RangesVermont
18Matthew LeRaySACentral DistrictGolden Grove
19Archie LudowykeVIC MSandringham DragonsEast Sandringham
20Fred RodriguezWASouth FremantleFremantle City
21Aidan SchubertSACentral DistrictGawler Central
27Cody CurtinWAClaremontWest Coast
28Jasper HayTASTasmania DevilsClarence

TEAM SLOANE​

1Zeke UwlandQLDGold Coast Suns
Academy
Burleigh
2Jai MurrayQLDGold Coast Suns
Academy
Broadbeach
3Beau AddinsallQLDGold Coast Suns
Academy
Burleigh
4Jack DaltonVIC MSandringham DragonsCamberwell
5Raphael GeesuQLDBrisbane Lions AcademyRedland-Victoria Point
6Samuel GrljVIC MOakleigh ChargersOld Camberwell
7Noah Hibbins-HargreavesVIC CDandenong StingraysMornington
8Jack IsonVIC MOakleigh ChargersParkside
9Joshua ReicheltSACentral DistrictNuriootpa
10Dyson SharpSACentral DistrictBarossa District
11Toby WhanWASouth FremantleRoleystone
12Harrison WilsonNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersLavington Panthers
13Lucas WoottonTASTasmania DevilsLaunceston
14Felix KneippVIC MCalder CannonsFitzroy
15Koby EvansWAPerthKenwick
16Blake KellyWASwan DistrictsCaversham
17Taj MurrayNTNT Academy
North Adelaide
Nightcliff
18Riley OnleyVIC CMurray BushrangersShepparton United
19Ben RongditVIC CGeelong FalconsColac
27Cooper Duff-TytlerVIC MCalder CannonsWoodend-Hesket
28Liam HethertonNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersNorth Albury
29Kalani WhiteQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBroadbeach
30Tairon Ah-MuVIC CDandenong StingraysBerwick
Dyson Sharp = As a bowling ball 🎳
Luke Candy = Candy can’t let you go

I've got a feeling that if Dan does select Carlton that our future first could still be used for this draft whether we can split or not, we can if we're able, with the players in this draft to GET EVERYBODY WE WANT, its like people don't care or are too set in their ways, trust me folks, if ever there was a draft to fast forward our rebuild, this is it! By the way, for people who talk about next years draft I'm well aware who's in it and that is another reason to do it, I always look one to two drafts ahead to see what's the talent like and should we actually do it?

For a long time {maybe apart from Harley, I was for it if we wanted to give up the draft capital required to get him but also wanted Colby and the Whiz, but I knew we were going to pick Zane, we had to} I have said to people "no", don't split, don't trade, this is the first time in a long time where it makes perfect sense to split and the quality of players we would be getting , talent wise is extremely high, and spread out into positions we are craving for, its a win/win situation. Worst case scenario is we trade in a future second rounder so there's plenty of ways we can go, keep your eyes on the trade period because that just might be a clue.

While I think we'll go a key forward then a small forward, the only spanner in the works in my opinion is one player, that player while quite raw is dripping with potential and that "spanner" is Alix Tauru, "the flying Viking" or as I call him "the cool swede", and no he doesn't play tennis.
As you say we might pick up certain types in the trade period that may change our drafting needs so to speak or we get involved as a 3rd party with our F1 or F2 to get the picks we want this year.
Yes I'm very familiar with the cool swede. I wonder how much the talk we're keen on him is true, exciting prospect.

For anyone who is keen on trading our F1. Best to watch the u17 futures game to get an idea on what you might be missing out on. Some names that are high on my list include: Louis Emmett, Archie Ludowyke, Fred Rodrieguez, Dyson Sharp, Felix Kneipp, Cooper Duff-Tyrtler, Riley Onley and Tarion Ah-Mu.

Looking likely that next year is shaping up as a bumper draft class too.

TEAM HEPPELL​

1Thomas BurtonVIC MWestern JetsPoint Cook
2Charlie BanfieldWAClaremontSwanbourne
3Harley BarkerSASturtMt Barker
4Luke CandySAGlenelgBrighton
5Lachlan CarmichaelNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyMosman
6Samuel CummingSANorth AdelaideWentworth
7Willem DuursmaVIC CGippsland PowerFoster
8Bailey-Dean LatanisNSW/ACTGWS Giants AcademyIngleburn
9Josh LindsayVIC CGeelong FalconsNewtown & Chilwell
10Thomas McGuaneVIC MWestern JetsKeilor
11Dylan PattersonQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
12Kalen RussellNTNT Academy/SturtDarwin Buffaloes
13Wes WalleyWASubiacoWarwick Greenwood
14Daniel AnnableQLDBrisbane Lions AcademyRedland-Victoria Point
15Noah ChamberlainNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyEast Sydney
16Louis EmmettVIC MOakleigh ChargersGlen Iris
17Oliver GreevesVIC MEastern RangesVermont
18Matthew LeRaySACentral DistrictGolden Grove
19Archie LudowykeVIC MSandringham DragonsEast Sandringham
20Fred RodriguezWASouth FremantleFremantle City
21Aidan SchubertSACentral DistrictGawler Central
27Cody CurtinWAClaremontWest Coast
28Jasper HayTASTasmania DevilsClarence

TEAM SLOANE​

1Zeke UwlandQLDGold Coast Suns
Academy
Burleigh
2Jai MurrayQLDGold Coast Suns
Academy
Broadbeach
3Beau AddinsallQLDGold Coast Suns
Academy
Burleigh
4Jack DaltonVIC MSandringham DragonsCamberwell
5Raphael GeesuQLDBrisbane Lions AcademyRedland-Victoria Point
6Samuel GrljVIC MOakleigh ChargersOld Camberwell
7Noah Hibbins-HargreavesVIC CDandenong StingraysMornington
8Jack IsonVIC MOakleigh ChargersParkside
9Joshua ReicheltSACentral DistrictNuriootpa
10Dyson SharpSACentral DistrictBarossa District
11Toby WhanWASouth FremantleRoleystone
12Harrison WilsonNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersLavington Panthers
13Lucas WoottonTASTasmania DevilsLaunceston
14Felix KneippVIC MCalder CannonsFitzroy
15Koby EvansWAPerthKenwick
16Blake KellyWASwan DistrictsCaversham
17Taj MurrayNTNT Academy
North Adelaide
Nightcliff
18Riley OnleyVIC CMurray BushrangersShepparton United
19Ben RongditVIC CGeelong FalconsColac
27Cooper Duff-TytlerVIC MCalder CannonsWoodend-Hesket
28Liam HethertonNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersNorth Albury
29Kalani WhiteQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBroadbeach
30Tairon Ah-MuVIC CDandenong StingraysBerwick
Massively against us trading out of the first round of next year's draft.

If we can get Armstrong at 7 and Berry at that 13 I reckon we skip the pick two as I wouldn’t mind skipping a Luke Trainior. Plus people think we should not go for a midfield, of course we should. A Harvey Langford would be beautiful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back