Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Only problem with that is then you are definitely trading a top 5 pick on the chance you might get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
North F1 + F3 > Houston + Port F1.

(Pick 2-5+40-44 > Houston + 12-16)

Houston weighted as pick 7-14 depending on the finish.

Let Port work their own way back into the 2024 draft.

We still have a F1+F2 to play with next year.

Ultimate Deathride 2.0

Mate, they were a basketcase not long ago and they couldn't even retain players.

And we attracted guys like Higgins and Dal (yes he was at the end). Just start winning and players will come.
Guys were bailing out like they do from gold coast. Full credit to fagan for that. He made a place where the players want to be

How quickly people forget. They couldn’t convince a player to stay 8 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t forget. The Irish Brisbane player had a go at the players requesting trades.

And yes, Brisbane were crap and struggled to get retain talent.

But we are not Brisbane

Just watched Dyson Sharp’s U17- AFL National Futures
19 disposals
5 marks
3 clearances

Really solid performance would love him on the team and most definitely a future pick 1-3 for the next draft. Would love him on the team but I reckon we already have enough talented youngsters to start pushing 13-14th on the ladder

I don’t forget. The Irish Brisbane player had a go at the players requesting trades.

And yes, Brisbane were crap and struggled to get retain talent.

But we are not Brisbane

I’m not suggesting we are. I just find a comment that we will ‘never’ be Brisbane after what they were 8-10 years ago staggering. I mean why are you even here, if you have no hope?

I’m not suggesting we are. I just find a comment that we will ‘never’ be Brisbane after what they were 8-10 years ago staggering. I mean why are you even here, if you have no hope?

I have hope. Just recognise that we have to do it differently and get lucky.

And my god are we due some luck

Not keen trading our future 1st unless we get another future 1st back. I like Houston, but in trading terms top 5 picks should be left for genuine gun midfielders, or gun key position players, not 28 year old flankers. We’d be better served splitting this years pick to get a top 7-8 pick and Houston with the later pick.
Don’t want to trade a f1 unless we’re swapping it for wce/tugers f1 -most probably top 5 picks and the great unknown how strong the top end is.
Split 2 and give one of those if Houston picks us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone questioning how important having a quality small forward is. Only have to look back to Bobby Hill wining the Norm Smith and how close Ah Chee and Lohmann came to winning it this year.

Ahh Chee kicked 24 goals in 45 games for Gold Coast over 3 years before they traded him to Brisbane.
Bobby Hill kicked 34 goals in 41 games for GWS over 3 years before they traded him to Collingwood.

These guys made Paul Curtis look like a superstar by comparison.

You need a lot of other things to go right before you are going to get much out of small forwards.

Multiple Brownlows, Premiership captaincy, take your pick really. None costed pick 2.
Where is pick 2 coming from?

People are talking about our F1, which you'd value around pick 6-8 when you consider risk and academy & f/s players next year. And we'd be getting extra back.

So around pick 8-10 for Houston.

Neale was traded for about pick 3 value.

The idea is that we trade in Parker, Houston and whoever else this year. Then we look better next year, with young talent developing and actually winning games, and you start to appeal to the likes of Balta and Rowell in next year's free agents. Then you're on a run very similar to Brisbane.

Bring up a single post where someone suggested giving up pick 2 for Houston alone...

The waffle is ****ing monotonous

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
F1 = Pick 2 from where I sit.

I don’t need to dig up posts involving F1, despite there being plenty. The fact the club is apparently offering it + the fact we always overpay is enough for me to condemn it.

Where is pick 2 coming from?

People are talking about our F1, which you'd value around pick 6-8 when you consider risk and academy & f/s players next year. And we'd be getting extra back.

So around pick 8-10 for Houston.

Neale was traded for about pick 3 value.

The idea is that we trade in Parker, Houston and whoever else this year. Then we look better next year, with young talent developing and actually winning games, and you start to appeal to the likes of Balta and Rowell in next year's free agents. Then you're on a run very similar to Brisbane.
F1 shouldn’t be valued at Pick 6-8, it should be valued at 1-2.

I don't really class small forwards by their height (I don't think many do), as stupid as that sounds. It's the role he plays.

Apply defensive pressure in the forward half and get to the fall of the ball particularly in f50 contests to try and impact on the scoreboard.
Okay so they are not small forwards then.

Small forwards who are not small but what we would traditionally class a forward pocket or midfielders who can rest forward and kick goals.
Papley 10 disposal 1 goal
Cameron 14 disposal 1 goal

Ginnivan, Watson got shown up when pressure was applied.

Lohman is 185cm not a small forward

Elite midfielders win finals. Period

This so called small forward fad will be found out next year in the season proper just as those who go down that path were exposed in the heat of finals.

F1 shouldn’t be valued at Pick 6-8, it should be valued at 1-2.
If you're going to approach things from a fearful perspective of taking on absolutely no risk then you're not going to get anywhere and just be stagnant.

There is a risk that it is valued as pick 1-2 but a realistic evaluation is pick 6-8.

For starters, our pick is realistically falling in the 2-4 range.

Then, getting value from the pick 12 months in advance is worth 2-3 spots. Plus, adding Houston devalues our pick.

Then, you add in how heavy the top of next year's draft class is with academy picks...

If we start at 2-4, then add 2-3 academy picks, then add 2-3 for cashing in early... That's 6-10 range for our pick.

If you're going to approach things from a fearful perspective of taking on absolutely no risk then you're not going to get anywhere and just be stagnant.

There is a risk that it is valued as pick 1-2 but a realistic evaluation is pick 6-8.

For starters, our pick is realistically falling in the 2-4 range.

Then, getting value from the pick 12 months in advance is worth 2-3 spots. Plus, adding Houston devalues our pick.

Then, you add in how heavy the top of next year's draft class is with academy picks...

If we start at 2-4, then add 2-3 academy picks, then add 2-3 for cashing in early... That's 6-10 range for our pick.
This how I’d expect port’s list boss to think - not ours. At this rate they’re likely to squeeze out our current 2nd as well. Hey it’s only pick 8-10 next year and pick 30 odd this year.

This how I’d expect port’s list boss to think - not ours. At this rate they’re likely to squeeze out our current 2nd as well. Hey it’s only pick 8-10 next year and pick 30 odd this year.
Well, for a trade to happen both sides need to get roughly on the same page.

If you only do trades that are impossible to lose (valuing your F1 at pick 1-2) then you're just never going to get anything done. You've got to take on some risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back