Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay so they are not small forwards then.

Small forwards who are not small but what we would traditionally class a forward pocket or midfielders who can rest forward and kick goals.
Papley 10 disposal 1 goal
Cameron 14 disposal 1 goal

Ginnivan, Watson got shown up when pressure was applied.

Lohman is 185cm not a small forward

Elite midfielders win finals. Period

This so called small forward fad will be found out next year in the season proper just as those who go down that path were exposed in the heat of finals.

Brisbane dominated in the middle, it provided a lot of opportunities for their forwards. Class matters.

As you said, Lohman is 185cm, he isn't a small forward, he is just not useless when the ball hits the grass.

Sheezel is 185cm and has shown he can tear teams up when playing forward, it is hard for us to play him up forward whilst our midfield and backline are dogshit.

Curtis is 185cm and very capable when the ball hits the turf. He kicked 30.21 and had 18 goal assists despite the dogshit delivery into our forward 50. If we can address that I think he is capable of increasing his output.

Zurhaar and Duursma are 190cm, they are on the bigger side of non-KPFs

We then have Ford and George that somewhere in between those at 187cm and 189cm.

I think we have good smaller options, our major issue is how our midfield functions and the ability to launch inside 50s with the ball kicked to the advantage of our players instead of towards the opposition or just mongrel punts to nobody in particular. When we use the ball well and move it quick enough we look good, it just doesn't happen often enough or consistent enough for it to become a pattern.

Last edited:
Brisbane dominated in the middle, it provided a lot of opportunities for their forwards. Class matters.

As you said, Lohman is 185cm, he isn't a small forward, he is just not useless when the ball hits the grass.

Sheezel is 185cm and has shown he can tear teams up when playing forward, it is hard for us to play him up forward whilst our midfield and backline are dogshit.

Curtis is 185cm and very capable when the ball hits the turf. He kicked 20.21 and had 18 goal assists despite the dogshit delivery into our forward 50. If we can address that I think he is capable of increasing his output.

Zurhaar and Duursma are 190cm, they are on the bigger side of non-KPFs

We then have Ford and George that somewhere in between those at 187cm and 189cm.

I think we have good smaller options, our major issue is how our midfield functions and the ability to launch inside 50s with the ball kicked to the advantage of our players instead of towards the opposition or just mongrel punts to nobody in particular. When we use the ball well and move it quick enough we look good, it just doesn't happen often enough or consistent enough for it to become a pattern.

Our smalls and mediums lack zip. Height is somewhat irrelevant

Boomer wasn't very fast in a straight line, he had agility and good vision. He was an exceptional smaller forward. As I said, class matters.

If we don't address the midfield issues, it wont matter if you line our forward line with the all time small forward greats, we don't get it inside 50 often enough and we don't give our forwards the opportunity to thrive.

If we can address that... then we will get a lot more out of the players we already have and you wont think of them as poorly as you obviously do at the moment.

id be staggered if the f1 for houston talk is real. there must be a lot more to it. im amazed that anyone in here is in favour of that, let alone the majority of posters seemingly. it would be a disastrous trade, one of the worst of all time.

psicosis and sphynx have covered it. im not gonna get mad yet because theres no way its real. not even we are that stupid.

Ford, Zurhaar and Curtis are quite quick in a straight line, but all of them lack the tank to provide pressure for more than a quarter or two.

It might be a little bit of defensive structure too, but they just fail to get to dangerous areas where they can tackle.

id be staggered if the f1 for houston talk is real. there must be a lot more to it. im amazed that anyone in here is in favour of that, let alone the majority of posters seemingly. it would be a disastrous trade, one of the worst of all time.

psicosis and sphynx have covered it. im not gonna get mad yet because theres no way its real. not even we are that stupid.
Please use the shift button. I know it isn’t a valid request, but I have problems.

Ford, Zurhaar and Curtis are quite quick in a straight line, but all of them lack the tank to provide pressure for more than a quarter or two.

It might be a little bit of defensive structure too, but they just fail to get to dangerous areas where they can tackle.
We're desperate for good players and mature bodies. We have to overpay in order to win the signing. We could walk away but the coaches / club obviously feel the now is very important to build for our future. I assume they are in a position where they are extremely concerned with what another year of 3 wins will mean for this group.

F1 = Pick 2 from where I sit.

I don’t need to dig up posts involving F1, despite there being plenty. The fact the club is apparently offering it + the fact we always overpay is enough for me to condemn it.
It's pick 2 if we don't get quality players that are match hardened leaders through the door. May be pick 6-8 if we do with improvement from our youth.

The key position of 95% of posters wanting to use f1 is getting Poortas f1 back as far as I can tell. I'm up for the death ride if we can land him.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's pick 2 if we don't get quality players that are match hardened leaders through the door. May be pick 6-8 if we do with improvement from our youth.

The key position of 95% of posters wanting to use f1 is getting Poortas f1 back as far as I can tell. I'm up for the death ride if we can land him.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nope there are some nuffies giving it up straight up
Some with maybe a token second rounder given back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no way we give up a future first without their future first and something else coming back.

So what. NM 2025 R1 for Houston & PA 2025 R1.

If ours in 2025 is #2 & PA's is #13 it values Houston at #12

If ours stays at #2 & PA win the flag (#18), it values Houston at #9

If ours stays at #2 & PA miss the finals (#9), it values Houston at #17

Death ride of the century.

So what. NM 2025 R1 for Houston & PA 2025 R1.

If ours in 2025 is #2 & PA's is #13 it values Houston at #12

If ours stays at #2 & PA win the flag (#18), it values Houston at #9

If ours stays at #2 & PA miss the finals (#9), it values Houston at #17

Death ride of the century.

giphy.gif

North F1 + F3 > Houston + Port F1.

(Pick 2-5+40-44 > Houston + 12-16)

Houston weighted as pick 7-14 depending on the finish.

Let Port work their own way back into the 2024 draft.

We still have a F1+F2 to play with next year.

Ultimate Deathride 2.0
Like it.

Ludowyke looking better this quarter kicks the sealer after a big mark

Duursma playing midfield this quarter, surprisingly versatile

I don’t think we should be trading our future first, the top end looks stronger next year (Sharp, Duursma, Ludowyke, Greeves, Onley, Dalton, duff-tytler, hetherton, Josh lindsay)
Would be a really bad call to trade our F1..

Not keen trading our future 1st unless we get another future 1st back. I like Houston, but in trading terms top 5 picks should be left for genuine gun midfielders, or gun key position players, not 28 year old flankers. We’d be better served splitting this years pick to get a top 7-8 pick and Houston with the later pick.
Smacks of desperation if we part with our F1 for Houston.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back