Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Just as a hypothetical, should we look at potentially trading out our 1st round pick to ensure that we don't burn it on Ben if he gets bid on before our 1st rounder. You can bet your arse that Dodoro or ol' mate SOS will place a bid on him ahead of our 1st if it benefits them.

Off the top of my head, trading in someone like a Conor Stone or a Jacob Konstanty for pick 17, with a 2nd rounder coming back our way. Possible shuffling of later picks, but that'd be the guts of it.

Gives us additional points to cover the Campo bids as well as ensuring a quality player to address our needs without compromising our future draft picks. Take another pick late in the draft.

Happy to get shot down in flames for this ridiculous suggestion though :)

At this stage looks like being very little chance of a first round bid on campos. It’s possible now that they are not bid on before pick 30. The draft has depth and the campos are not standouts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just as a hypothetical, should we look at potentially trading out our 1st round pick to ensure that we don't burn it on Ben if he gets bid on before our 1st rounder. You can bet your arse that Dodoro or ol' mate SOS will place a bid on him ahead of our 1st if it benefits them.

Off the top of my head, trading in someone like a Conor Stone or a Jacob Konstanty for pick 17, with a 2nd rounder coming back our way. Possible shuffling of later picks, but that'd be the guts of it.

Gives us additional points to cover the Campo bids as well as ensuring a quality player to address our needs without compromising our future draft picks. Take another pick late in the draft.

Happy to get shot down in flames for this ridiculous suggestion though :)

As i see us firmly in our premiership window and i think we will be for the next few years, trading our first round pick for a top 10 player, makes heaps of sense to me, but only if we can get a player that improves our starting side for a decent amount of time.

I think you’re overrating Stone and Konstanty, any player who’s been on a list several years and isn’t getting a game, doesn’t need the use of a 1st round pick, use Fisher as an example, regular senior player and he got us not much at all.

SOS would be crazy to bid on Ben with the Saints first, as it will be a high pick and Dodo isn’t in charge at * anymore, the Saints second pick is where the risk from SOS would come from.

I’d love for us to target Garcia, Konstanty or Stone types but all should be available for 2nd or 3rd picks, targeting kids in the first round, even if we get the pick right, will have little to no impact on a push for a flag in 2025-26

Stains 2nd round pick is (currently) 25. Add a few on to that for bids on other players (Ashcroft, Lombard, Marshall) and you're up to pick 28. Or 29 if * get access to Kako. Can just about bet on SOS bidding on Ben C at 28/29 if he's still on the board then. But there's no way he'll use their first round pick on him. And doubt even Dodo would if *'s pick comes in around 15 or so.

The other one to watch would be Sydney, who have two late first round picks (after ours), and have a history of bidding on players to buy time for negotiating other deals.

Stains 2nd round pick is (currently) 25. Add a few on to that for bids on other players (Ashcroft, Lombard, Marshall) and you're up to pick 28. Or 29 if * get access to Kako. Can just about bet on SOS bidding on Ben C at 28/29 if he's still on the board then. But there's no way he'll use their first round pick on him. And doubt even Dodo would if *'s pick comes in around 15 or so.

The other one to watch would be Sydney, who have two late first round picks (after ours), and have a history of bidding on players to buy time for negotiating other deals.
Even if they do, getting Ben for a pick in the late 20s/early 30s is a good result given the discount. If someone bids on him within 15 I'd let them take him. Getting a stab at a top 15 kid this year will give us a good chance of picking up someone good. The first 20 kids in this draft are all fairly similar in ability imo, top 10 probably just more guaranteed output rather than more 'talented' per se.

We'd need to have a very high pick, or even a miracle, to get the right 'now' player, IMO.

I think the 'need of the year' focusing actually backfires because (I believe) it encourages groupthink and a kind of 'allocation' mentality. It potentially prevents us from bringing in the best kids to develop at their own pace and in the position they are best suited to. Not everyone is Nick Daicos; they should be starting to play their best football in three to four years, not the year following their draft year. I would have hoped having some quality F/Ss coming through would actually free us up a bit.

I only specified talls because the stars might actually be aligned that way, as they were in 2015, albeit to a lesser degree this time.
The 'right now player of quality' i was referring to the lotto free agency win.

With our draft hand id be trying to move as high up the board as possible

Totally agree, SOS aint gonna risk a top 4 pick bidding on Ben. Dodoro likely the same if * keep slipping down the ladder.

The issue we have is that there's a trade period in between, so anything could happen. If one of them end up with a pick only one or two spots in front of our 1st, I'd expect a bid forthcoming. They know we're gonna match it, so denies us taking a 1st round pick, and the draft order moves up one spot which benefits them.

Which is why I suggested we could trade out of the 1st round to eliminate that possibility. Personally, I see it as a risk as a number of form guides have Ben in that tricky spot at around 16-18 - but I'm sure Austin and his crew have worked through all the various contingencies.

Totally agree, SOS aint gonna risk a top 4 pick bidding on Ben. Dodoro likely the same if * keep slipping down the ladder.

The issue we have is that there's a trade period in between, so anything could happen. If one of them end up with a pick only one or two spots in front of our 1st, I'd expect a bid forthcoming. They know we're gonna match it, so denies us taking a 1st round pick, and the draft order moves up one spot which benefits them.

Which is why I suggested we could trade out of the 1st round to eliminate that possibility. Personally, I see it as a risk as a number of form guides have Ben in that tricky spot at around 16-18 - but I'm sure Austin and his crew have worked through all the various contingencies.
Must remember when taking into account of rankings, which teams are actually in need of a handball first defensive midfielder? Even if Ben is ranked a better talent than others, the likelihood of him being of high interest to other teams is rather low

Smart move would be to have a back-up plan - trade the pick on the night if/when a bid comes in.

Why exactly would sos bid on Ben Camporeale?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me introduce you to...

What am I going to do for a fun debate this draft period. We agree on too much.

Definitely want a decent KPD prospect
Harry O’Farrell 196cm (3/5/‘06) Bit light and missed much of season with injury, but has all the attributes needed.
Matt Whitlock 199cm (16/5/‘06) Both Whitlocks developing daily. Has the tools. Not finished product, but growing on me.
Clancy Dennis 195cm (28/12/‘06) All Australian took plenty of scalps. Combative, smart and talented. Late foal. Upside plus.
Trainor will be top 5, Mraz is a maybe and SA boy Charlie Nicholls likely to be better back than forward.

Midfield pace, outside of likely top 10. Inside/ outside type
Xavier Lindsay 183cm (3/8/‘06) is the standout for mine, possibly in our draft range. Leftie is a bonus.

Sam Lalor 187cm (30/8/‘06) Hybrid mid/forward likely goes too high for us.
But medium hybrids
Hamish Davis 190cm (2/5/‘06) Lean developing type with big upside. Forward/Mid
Cooper Hynes 190cm (28/2/‘06) Burly, but plenty of dash, not sure of tank. Genuine mid/forward x-factor type.
right in our wheelhouse.
Then we have smaller forward/mid hybrids with plenty of dash
Taj Hotton 180cm (17/6/‘06) Early season A.C.L. so expect back mid year or earlier. Was pushing for top 5 in draft.
Joe Berry 180cm (18/4/‘06) Forward first, but genuine midfield pinch hitter. Leftie. Kicks goals for fun.

Medium defenders
Tobin Travaglia 187cm (26/10/‘06) A star, will be out of our reach.
Harrison Oliver 181cm (15/6/‘06) Is a decent defender, but spectacular distributor/rebounder with a deadly left peg.

I too like
Harry Armstrong 194cm (14/6/‘06) Literally kicking goals is the late comer going up boards. Too high for us most likely.
but, my key forward/3rd tall standout, and less hyped is
Jobe Shanahan 194cm (2/8/‘06) Great lead up worker, also capable one on one. Think is a little under the radar.

194cm winger Jack Ough has had some great moments, WA wing/defensive distributor Jaxon Artemis and powerful SA small forward (inside mid at club level) Jacob Newton are other watches for me. Would love Newton to last until rookie draft.

Would love a couple of the above, along with the Camporeale twins.

Matt Whitlock, although I think he'll do a Ben King/Aaron Naughton which is okay by me.

Last edited:

Harry O’Farrell 196cm (3/5/‘06) Bit light and missed much of season with injury, but has all the attributes needed.
Matt Whitlock 199cm (16/5/‘06) Both Whitlocks developing daily. Has the tools. Not finished product, but growing on me.
Clancy Dennis 195cm (28/12/‘06) All Australian took plenty of scalps. Combative, smart and talented. Late foal. Upside plus.
Trainor will be top 5, Mraz is a maybe and SA boy Charlie Nicholls likely to be better back than forward.

Xavier Lindsay 183cm (3/8/‘06) is the standout for mine, possibly in our draft range. Leftie is a bonus.

But medium hybrids
Cooper Hynes 190cm (28/2/‘06) Burly, but plenty of dash, not sure of tank. Genuine mid/forward x-factor type.
right in our wheelhouse.
Taj Hotton 180cm (17/6/‘06) Early season A.C.L. so expect back mid year or earlier. Was pushing for top 5 in draft.
Joe Berry 180cm (18/4/‘06) Forward first, but genuine midfield pinch hitter. Leftie. Kicks goals for fun.

Medium defenders
Harrison Oliver 181cm (15/6/‘06) Is a decent defender, but spectacular distributor/rebounder with a deadly left peg.

I too like
Harry Armstrong 194cm (14/6/‘06) Literally kicking goals is the late comer going up boards. Too high for us most likely.
Jobe Shanahan 194cm (2/8/‘06) Great lead up worker, also capable one on one. Think is a little under the radar.

194cm winger Jack Ough has had some great moments, WA wing/defensive distributor Jaxon Artemis and powerful SA small forward (inside mid at club level) Jacob Newton are other watches for me. Would love Newton to last until rookie draft.

Agree with your comments, l would trying to improve our draft hand, as there is plenty of nice prospects in the 1st 30.

But medium hybrids
right in our wheelhouse.

Medium defenders

I too like

The real question is how do we get two picks around the 12-15 mark to get a couple of these kids and address our KPD issue?

Getting 2 of Travaglia, Lindsay or Berry to go with the big bodies of the Campo twins would be a dream for me. Lindsay's kicking in particular is outstanding, happy to pull off corridor kicks at will.

The real question is how do we get two picks around the 12-15 mark to get a couple of these kids and address our KPD issue?

Getting 2 of Travaglia, Lindsay or Berry to go with the big bodies of the Campo twins would be a dream for me. Lindsay's kicking in particular is outstanding, happy to pull off corridor kicks at will.
Thinking we might be a chance for two second rounders, not sure we can get two firsts.

Not considering Travaglia as an option, and you know I want a KPD as the highest priority.

My SOMEWHAT realistic dream would be:
Lindsay with our first
Ben matched with our second
Dennis with an acquired second or our third
Lucas with third/fourth match.

Throw in Newton with a rookie pick and another mature or budget KPP option and I would be happy.

Factoring trading or delisting
Martin
Marchbank
Cuningham
Binns (sorry young fella)
Keep Owies unless his offers break the bank, kicking some goals, but still limited despite his commitment.
Rookies
Akuei
Mirkov
M.Carroll
S.Durdin
and Boyd upgrade.
Making some room for Duffy, Lord and a couple more.

Thinking Fantasia or Corey Durdin can be managed to rookie list to accommodate necessary Boyd upgrade.
Clearly if Owies leaves or we trade out someone else (J.Carroll) we get another pick in the N.D.

For the draft watchers out there would u ship off Bam Bam Owies or Motlop to package up with a future 1st to get in around 10-15 for a Travaglia, Berry, Lindsay?

Arr0w u know me and always wanting to trade up, keen to hear ur thoughts on that situation this year with the list and draft pool the way it's positioned ATM?

I can think of a way to get those picks, but you won't like it.

I can think of a way to get those picks, but you won't like it.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

For the draft watchers out there would u ship off Bam Bam Owies or Motlop to package up with a future 1st to get in around 10-15 for a Travaglia, Berry, Lindsay?

Arr0w u know me and always wanting to trade up, keen to hear ur thoughts on that situation this year with the list and draft pool the way it's positioned ATM?
Not sure I would be getting rid of Motlop.

I doubt Owies/Kennedy warrant a pick that high, so I just think we accept we're only getting one of those players.

Saints now have Simon D, ex Sydney draft guru. Unless SOS gets stubborn, i expect they will do well this year and wont be trying hold grudges against carlton.

Trade a F1, I don’t see how trading a top 15 player for an untried kid, helps us win a premiership next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back