2024 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Knowledgable posters of basketball.

I invite you to contribute and enjoy the basketball during and in the

2024 Paris Olympic Games basketball thread (XXXIII Olympiad)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spurs / furphy is the perfect fit each way.

Great place for Johnny to land and spurs now need to add shooting wings.

Spurs no chance with their 2 2nd rounders so need to trade up.

Those 2nds arent enough tho, they would need to trade future picks

And just like that he's awfully close to the Spurs 2nd rounder.

Damn, did not expect to bring in a top 10 pick. Connelly :fire:

If 2030 is a protected pick swap as has been hinted it’s a pretty good gamble by wolves. A protected pick swap is nothing more than a 1st pick upgrade a few spots really.

So hinges on whether that 2031 pick falls, don’t even think spurs will still own the pick by then.

Feel bad for Furphy and his family to sit through all that for nothing. But I was staggered he got a green room invite. He's not elite in any one area. No idea why some outlets(looking mostly at Australian media) were gassing him up as a "shooter" when he went at 35% from 3 and is totally unable to create his own shot.

He's not a primary or secondary playmaker. His handle is very poor. Very skinny. Defensively poor(stands too upright). The aforementioned shooting question marks. Bad wingspan to height ratio. Very bad testing at the combine for speed, agility and vert, the list goes on...

Feel bad for Furphy and his family to sit through all that for nothing. But I was staggered he got a green room invite. He's not elite in any one area. No idea why some outlets(looking mostly at Australian media) were gassing him up as a "shooter" when he went at 35% from 3 and is totally unable to create his own shot.

He's not a primary or secondary playmaker. His handle is very poor. Very skinny. Defensively poor(stands too upright). The aforementioned shooting question marks. Bad wingspan to height ratio. Very bad testing at the combine for speed, agility and vert, the list goes on...
Bloody hell sounds like he won't get drafted at all reading this yet some mocks had him top 20...

Must be something there to be rated top 20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If 2030 is a protected pick swap as has been hinted it’s a pretty good gamble by wolves. A protected pick swap is nothing more than a 1st pick upgrade a few spots really.

So hinges on whether that 2031 pick falls, don’t even think spurs will still own the pick by then.
I think it's a good swing. Realistically we have massive limitations on our ability to add pieces because we're at the second apron, so it was either run it back with worse rotation guys or take a gamble on bringing one of our remaining picks forward. With Ant only 29 in 2031 you'd hope we're either still good, or that shit hit the fan and Ant wanted out - in which case you'd think we'd end up loaded with picks anyway.

We've obviously invested big in this group's ability to win a chip but I think it's gone under the radar a bit that we now have 11 players <25 on the roster. Some of them are definitely not going to make it, but if Ant/JMac/Naz continue to improve and one or two of the others can become rotation players, we would be starting to look OK in the post-Conley/Gobert/KAT era.

Lot of water to go under the bridge until then though.

I think you are over rating his weaknesses a little, he is not terrible just average. He had a really strong stretch of play this year which someone decided was enough to get drafted. Likely he should have gone back to Kansas(?) and back himself to show 15ppg/40% for a whole season, not 10 games. And sure, defence technique is fixable.

Spurs drafted a glue guy at 4 who is not going to really make them better now. So they can target the stronger talent draft next season. Get pick 4-8. Plus they have our 1st and now assets from ditching pick 8. They are in great position to draft or trade up and draft a Robin for the Batman.

Also damn it is there a chance they never had any interest in trading up for Risacher or Sarr? They would rather draft an energy guy and kick their other pick down to 2031 rather than bank one of those guys? This does not bode well.

I think you are over rating his weaknesses a little, he is not terrible just average. He had a really strong stretch of play this year which someone decided was enough to get drafted. Likely he should have gone back to Kansas(?) and back himself to show 15ppg/40% for a whole season, not 10 games. And sure, defence technique is fixable.
Yeah i think he is a legitimate first round/ early 2nd round prospect but if you have genuine first round buzz i think you should nominate for draft, bank the money while you can

Not sure they refered to him as a shooter. More like basketball superstar!

Knicks traded 2025, 2027, 2029 and 2031 unprotected 1sts

Jalen Brunson is 27
Julius Randle is 29
Mikal Bridges is 28

all these guys will be mid 30s for those latter two years of 1st round picks.

It's a massive all-in/overpay for the Knicks... but I don't think it brings them relatively close to getting over the top of Boston still?

He's good, but Bridges is older than the Jays and has never been an all-star or made any sort of all-NBA team.

You're not taking some facts into account.

Part of the appeal of Bridges is that he's on a cost-controlled contract. It's very difficult to add players of his calibre on a contending team without giving up significant non-draft pieces. He's also the right age, fits almost any team or line-up and rarely misses games. There's a reason multiple teams were lining up offering multiple firsts for him.

Also he's not supposed to be their Tatum - he's their Derrick White. It's also a bit pointless comparing them with the Celtics in a vacuum when they never got a chance to play you straight up these playoffs. Maybe next year it'll be the Celtics with multiple injuries, or Horford and/or Holiday will finally go into decline. It's also not like it's the 2016/17 Warriors, where there's seemingly little point. Six different teams have won the championship since 2018.

Further. at least three of those five firsts they traded will also likely of marginal value. Effectively they're betting on themselves to be competent in five years time. It might end up being an overpay, but I don't think it's egregious at all. And unlike say, the Suns, they still have multiple avenues to making further trades down the track if they need to juggle personnel.

What a turd of a move that is for New York. Im assuming they plan to play Bridges at SG? He is just too similar to OG as well in both defense and offensive ways

Just feels like a move out of desperation whereas patience was probably better

OG misses a lot of games.

Gives them OG, Bridges, DiVincenzo and Hart as wings. That's pretty damn good.

The same Donny who never did anything with a good Utah team and then Cavs team being the main guy on both? He doesnt defend either plus more expensive. Way more bullish on this Bridges move as I would be getting Donny tbh

I've defended Mitchell a lot. I think he cops some undeserved flak, it's incredibly difficult being an offensive creator at his size, even in a pace-and-space, small-ball league. His efficiency actually stands up, but he's never really had another true scorer alongside him. He basically was Cleveland's offence in the playoffs.

That said, I don't think his fit with Brunson would be great, as others have said. Plus the salary cap implications as you mentioned - just adding Bridges will probably cost them Hartenstein. Adding someone on a Mitchell or Tatum/Brown level contract would cost them other players, PLUS the draft capital.

Absolutely absurd really. With the acquisition of Bridges, they basically have 2 players primed for the same role I feel.. They also have went with OG, when for that same money + capital they could have easily rolled that into well a much much better playe then OG

When OG actually played, the Knicks had the top offence AND the top defence in the league. Considering they gave up RJ Barrett, who was a net negative, and Quickley, who is equally in line for a massive payday, they did fine.

You're also assuming that there are star players available who would fit the Knicks team. Mitchell wouldn't really fit their team, and it doesn't sound like he's available anyway. Most of the top echelon players aren't available, they rarely are. Who's available? Trae Young? Darius Garland? Brandon Ingram? LaMelo? Kuzma? Ayton?

The only genuine stars that are remotely gettable at the moment are old and gonna be on huge contracts - Paul George or Jimmy Butler types.

It's definitely a gamble going for a versatile, deep team over a star-driven roster, but it's worked for them so far. I think it's actually exciting, in a sense. I'm genuinely curious to see if going back to the future in terms of roster construction and focusing on chemistry, depth and versatility could become a viable thing in the NBA again.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back