Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any tall we can shift down back ….?
Would love to trial Nash there for the remaining pre season hit outs, he has the physical size, strength and speed. Can’t see the harm in it. He did play as a defender when he first joined Hawthorn and looked promising.
I’m sure I’ll get shot down here being told he is a pure midfielder, but 2 years ago we didn’t even know if he’d make it or return to Ireland.

5feab358ec90530a4c2434fa2365107ec1c4cb4f

Would love to trial Nash there for the remaining pre season hit outs, he has the physical size, strength and speed. Can’t see the harm in it. He did play as a defender when he first joined Hawthorn and looked promising.
I’m sure I’ll get shot down here being told he is a pure midfielder, but 2 years ago we didn’t even know if he’d make it or return to Ireland.
1708058070848.png

Takeaways from today:
  • Massimo said afterwards that he feels at home with the team and like he belongs here, which he didn't ever feel at the Bombers. Hale spoke glowingly about those two in the media conference as well

This is very interesting and great to hear. Thanks Newmo.
Hawthorn Football Club did it the hard way

Sam Mitchell did it the hard way

I know of a young fella training with us.
Sam pulled him aside & told him of his own story to HFC.

Said to him, “you might feel like you don’t belong here but you do”
“If anyone here ever says you don’t belong here, you let me know. I don’t expect it to happen but if so, I will sort them out”

When you have the coach driving a culture like that, you are in good hands

After watching the intraclub highlights on the club website, Max Ramsden starting to remind me of Nathan Thompson.

Hawthorn Football Club did it the hard way

Sam Mitchell did it the hard way

I know of a young fella training with us.
Sam pulled him aside & told him of his own story to HFC.

Said to him, “you might feel like you don’t belong here but you do”
“If anyone here ever says you don’t belong here, you let me know. I don’t expect it to happen but if so, I will sort them out”

When you have the coach driving a culture like that, you are in good hands

It feels like early Clarko days. I reckon that's the key. Coaches can't reinvent themselves. Clarko will prove this and Hardwick will be no better.

They're in the game too long they can't get back to what was successful early. They can't break it down to its simplest form.

You need proteges. Someone who experienced the tough times, the rebuild, the successes, to do it again.

Mitchell is the man.

Kingie loves the Wiz. During some of his possessions “he’s a star”, “you cant tackle him” while chuckling. Got excited every time he was near the ball. He asked Bucks how many goals will he kick in his first year 20, 30, 40? They then tried remembering other smalls in their first year and they even checked what he was paying for 40 goals 😂. The consensus was around 30. The thing with the Wiz if he only touches it 10 times …… he will still kick and/or set up 2-4 goals. He will be a high impact player as he has some very special traits that you can’t teach. Kid will be a game changer☝️. A couple of players they also talked up was HH, Chol and Kingie asked me who’s that blonde kid he looks alright …… was Bodie 👍.

From about 2.19 👍

Last edited:
It's robbing Peter to pay Paul. The harm in it is that our midfield is finally humming and Nash has played a pivotal role in that. The midfield is also where he finally looks truly at home as a player. His status 2 years ago is irrelevant. It's the present that matters and we don't have another midfielder like him. If we did, then maybe...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he is good enough overhead. His overhead marking is not much better than Birchall's was and when he was tried in the ruck he had trouble getting his hand to the ball. He is great in traffic and can extract and distribute. His tackling technique is superb. He also has decent speed and a good tank. However I just don't see how anyone with Nash's limitations overhead makes the grade as a KPD.

This is the year DGB either sinks or swims. We are very light on for tall defenders, so now is a perfect opportunity for Denver to cement a spot in our Best 22. He either plays as an undersized key defender, or an intercepting third tall. No greater opportunity to prove himself than now.
Who is he undersized for?. The absolute monsters yes but surely he can handle an Aaron Naughton type even JUH. Phillips will be a strong contender if we select him on Monday to alot straight in where Blanck would have played. Did a good job on Lewis so should give us a good gauge that he can handle the big boys. Mature body has quite a bit of durability and taken some hits so far in his career. No brainer we go down this path which would than balance out losing Blanck.

I don't think he is good enough overhead. His overhead marking is not much better than Birchall's was and when he was tried in the ruck he had trouble getting his hand to the ball. He is great in traffic and can extract and distribute. His tackling technique is superb. He also has decent speed and a good tank. However I just don't see how anyone with Nash's limitations overhead makes the grade as a KPD.
I’m thinking more about him spoiling the FF from marking the ball. Could have Sicily in the back pocket alongside him taking the marks. Blanck averaged 1.9 marks per game last year, so I wouldn’t say he was overly strong in that department.

I’m thinking more about him spoiling the FF from marking the ball. Could have Sicily in the back pocket alongside him taking the marks. Blanck averaged 1.9 marks per game last year, so I wouldn’t say he was overly strong in that department.
I wouldn't be confident about his spoiling. Aerial work of any kind does not seem to be in his repertoire. I think that he is making some progress but it is very slow - maybe worth a shot in a couple of years if we have not been able to acquire a genuine quality KPD and have an abundance of riches in the midfield.

I wouldn't be confident about his spoiling. Aerial work of any kind does not seem to be in his repertoire. I think that he is making some progress but it is very slow - maybe worth a shot in a couple of years if we have not been able to acquire a genuine quality KPD and have an abundance of riches in the midfield.
And that’s why I have suggested trialling him in the inter club, preseason games as to see if he has anything to offer in that space. To me he seems a quick learner, surpreme athlete and now has the nous of how the game is played. I think his actual capabilities are being underestimated.

He has a pretty awful leap as well which is a major reason why he wasn't good as a 2nd ruck in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back