Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Very happy to see Wingerz kicking the ball. Smooth moves by Ginny, Meeks tackle on Weddle was very nice. Hardwick in the forward line could be a fantastic move. Chol grabbing it high was delightful. I hope the big forward Mitch has an injury free year as he is so important to how our forward line will fire.
Thx for the vid, luvd to see it

Hi guys, come in peace

And this is nothing to do about round 1

But im trying to wrap my head around this side

Worpel did an interview recently saying CMACdonald is more fwd than mid. Then all ive read is Hardwick training fwd.

Chol
Lewis
CMAC
Ginni
Watson
Hardwick
Breust
Moore

8 doesnt fit into 7 (6 Field/ 1 Bench)

The wingers i assume would be Morrison, Jiath and then maybe a 3rd like C.Mackenzie if W.Day is out and Ward moves inside with Worp, Nash and Newcombe

But then i cant see any of those 8 fwds mentioned not being in the 22, whether actual forward or not

Hi guys, come in peace

Worpel did an interview recently saying CMACdonald is more fwd than mid. Then all ive read is Hardwick training fwd.

Chol
Lewis
CMAC
Ginni
Watson
Hardwick
Breust
Moore

The wingers i assume would be Morrison, Jiath and then maybe a 3rd like C.Mackenzie if W.Day is out and Ward moves inside with Worp, Nash and Newcombe

But then i cant see any of those 8 fwds mentioned not being in the 22, whether actual forward or not

Wingmen will seemingly be CJ, Ward (best 22) and maybe Weddle.

Morrison, Massimo and Butler are depth options that may/may not be in the side.

Hi guys, come in peace

Chol
Lewis
CMAC
Ginni
Watson
Hardwick
Breust
Moore

Don’t forget Gunner!

Hi guys, come in peace

Chol
Lewis
CMAC
Ginni
Watson
Hardwick
Breust
Moore

You forgot Gunston and then Wingard to come back at some point as well.
Butler has been going well in pre-season too (finished 2nd in a recent time trial I think).
We are seeing some real competition for spots which is what is giving a lot of the Hawk supporters some real hope moving forwards.
CMac might be used in the midfield rotation and there is conjecture about Hardwick being forward. It seems the club will be playing him forward, but he has been such a good small defender some are wondering if it is just a change of pace for pre-season and as you allude to the forward options seem to now be abundant and Sam Mitchell seems pretty intent on players being able to play 2 positions.
Doesn't really answer your question but most Hawks supporters are asking the same question.

Didnt forget Gunston just think there are 8 others that are either ahead, or not far enough behind where there upside isnt greater than Gunstons in 6-12 months time

If people are saying Ward is wing then without Day which is the point, CMack or CMAC must be onball or one of those 7 forwards are either backline (Hardwick) or not best 22 (Watson/Ginni)

Some good problems to have the coach has turned the list as quicj as possible and i think the up tick will actually come with Ward, CMAC, Hustwaite and CMACK taking over from Worpel and Nash who become VFL footballers if they dont improve enough or arent getting the job done

Wingard inj** assume very much eased into the middle of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didnt forget Gunston just think there are 8 others that are either ahead, or not far enough behind where there upside isnt greater than Gunstons in 6-12 months time

If people are saying Ward is wing then without Day which is the point, CMack or CMAC must be onball or one of those 7 forwards are either backline (Hardwick) or not best 22 (Watson/Ginni)

Some good problems to have the coach has turned the list as quicj as possible and i think the up tick will actually come with Ward, CMAC, Hustwaite and CMACK taking over from Worpel and Nash who become VFL footballers if they dont improve enough or arent getting the job done

I think it is highly unlikely Nash or Worpel become VFL footballers. They finished 3rd and 4th in the PCM (club b&f) last year and Worpel is a past winner. Trade maybe (Worpel has been linked to Geelong in the past because he comes from that area). Hustwaite is 195cm and good overhead so he can play as a utility.

You could make the case that we are overstocked with quality mids and small forwards but most have the athleticism and footy brain to play more than one position

Worpel and Nash will be mainstays all year. Absolutely in their prime years now.

I think it is highly unlikely Nash or Worpel become VFL footballers. They finished 3rd and 4th in the PCM (club b&f) last year and Worpel is a past winner. Trade maybe (Worpel has been linked to Geelong in the past because he comes from that area). Hustwaite is 195cm and good overhead so he can play as a utility.....
Yes. Tall utility. He is one of those blokes who finds space and seem to stop time, unteachable stuff. I think he has some forward craft, I don't know if he has played back at all, but that's mostly teachable stuff.

Hi guys, come in peace

Chol
Lewis
CMAC
Ginni
Watson
Hardwick
Breust
Moore

Yep headaches. That bench will be interesting and very likely that we will see moving chess pieces during games far more this season.

Seems like JoS and Bennetts are also training really well, where do they fit in I wonder?
Butler mentioned that JoS was playing in the midfield during the intraclub. Let's see where he goes when Box Hill hit the park.

NOTE WELL. I am responding here to a poster who implied worpel and Nash without improvement will find themselves in VFL

IF you disagree reply to this poster not me
——————————-

Would not blame Worpel or Nash to look elsewhere. They won’t be vfl standard for several years yet.

But I believe the club does not share this view which pops up in here now and then

Last edited:
Worpel and Nash will be mainstays all year. Absolutely in their prime years now.

Entering into their prime, but also have improvement left in them as well, both individually as players and also collectively in terms of continuing to gel as a midfield. Worpel seems so much more confident in himself than 2 years ago, not even comparable.

Would not blame Worpel or Nash to look elsewhere. They won’t be vfl standard for several years yet.

But I believe the club does not share this view which pops up in here now and then
The club doesn't share this view? Conor Nash has been kept in the senior side and persevered with in spite of his performances, at least up to last year, not necessarily warranting selection.

I can't think of a player who is more obviously in Sam's plans than Nash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back