Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

All except ruck work
He will never be a great tap ruckman that's true.

But Meek could still be a decent AFL ruck if he can be competitive in the ruck and good around the ground with his endurance and skills (bit like Ceglar was in his prime).

It's a puzzle to me why he struggles in the ruck, he's an absolutely massive unit.

Gee - you really think the guy with a 2023 AFL premiership medal in his sock drawer looks like a senior player at Hawthorn?

Colour me shocked.
Only just turned 21 and coming off an interesting season, yes he got the medal but not his best game.

Wasn’t that long ago Hardwick played like a senior player from a young age - but please colour yourself

season 3 pain GIF by Portlandia

Is that Will McCabe after being told he's playing FB all year?

Battle is probably one we will look at as a key sized FA. And who knows who will come up for trade.

We clearly want +1 KPD in the 19-23 age bracket so maybe we draft one or target one on the fringes from recent drafts. It will take more than one additional KPD to get list balance right. Even if Frost isn't best 22 we still need to replace his spot on the list sooner rather than later. Plus another poor year from DGB and we might move on from him. I expect us to be quite active
Battle is strong, reads the play well and distributes effectively, but, at 193cm is not a good match up on a 198-200cm KPF with good hands - and there are quite a few of them about.

interestingly in Hale's interview he specifically said something like "we're probably light on young, developing talls now" in reference to Blanck, rather than just KPDs overall. So I don't think the club is too concerned about this season's depth, i think Hale is alluding to a longer-term view of upgrading our KPD which cant really be done this season unless Phillips is a revelation.

For that reason Scrimshaw/Phillips and particularly DGB coming on as KPDs in Blanck's absence would be a godsend for more than just this season

Strange comment from Hale given we drafted a couple of likely ones. We all know they are not this season ready

I like the look of Bodie Ryan. He may surprise everyone with his upside.
Early days but the kid looks good.

Reminds me of Stratton the way he goes about his football. Interested to see how he goes against the Bulldogs. I feel like we’ll let him cook at Box Hill first half of the year.

Harry Morrison, the forgotten man, but he looked really good in the highlights.

Also, did I see him in the 'A' team as well?

The forgotten man is an apt description, he may be borderline underrated I feel. Always seems to pop up at keys moments.

I’ve seen it mentioned here before but I’m really starting to subscribe to it - he’s a great role player, the kind that wins you flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look - the world revolves.

A season wasn't over before Round 1 (or even opening round!) and although it seems grim today, Sam and the team have put us in a position to be able to adapt to these setbacks, and still have a fantastic season.

Will Day out - That becomes a great chance for Henry Hustwaite to become a best 22 player. For Ward and Frenchie to improve their centre mid minutes. For a complete bolter to have a shot?

Dylan Moore out - a chance to cement a 'front six' that would not have been thought possible without Moore and Wingard out. Can Ginnivan and Watson work together. Will Hardwick really perform as a forward. Does this open the door for Butler or Bennetts or even give someone like Brodie Ryan an early debut?

James Blanck out - Frosty gets a shot at redemption (I think he has delivered what was expected when he signed.No more no less) and can extend his career. Will Ethan Phillips finally get to live his dream? Is there a player shock on the cards - Gunston down back?
Will this give Serong or DGB a chance to play a run of games and grow as an AFL player?

CJ out - Think Cyril and his hammys. Perhaps this will persuade the club and CJ to reassess the treatments used, and as with Cyril, go back to square one and completely revamp CJ's running style - short term pain for long term gain. CJ is young enough to still enjoy a 10 yr career. This gives Sam the opportunity to try Weddle or Seamus or a Mass on the wing at the highest level. Harry M will never let us down.

I'm sure that today will be a sombre affair at Hawks HQ - but we have recruited well, the kids are waiting in the wings - time to shine, and make Moore & Day know they have competition for their spots and make CJ & Blanck really have to earn their place in the team upon return from injury.

Good teams adapt and grow from adversity - this is our time to do exactly that.

Day nd Moore the only ones from the 10-12 locks and the others from the next 20 ‘possibles’ not ideal but should shorten the length of selection meetings a bit
Day and Moore temporary outs

Main highlight that stood out for me from Watto was him decelerating OUT of traffic to set up an easier kick. I genuinely don't think people who don't actively play sport acknowledge how unreal that is as a skill.

HMo, Mass and HH all looking for for the seniors this season- Harry to get to 100 games I reckon!

Sorry off topic, but hey barbster , it’s courtesy on this board to save your disagrees for the really shitty opinions, not every post you don’t endorse 100%. You can just ignore the posts you don’t agree with.

Carry on…
Particularly if you don't intend to engage in the conversation in any way.

Battle is strong, reads the play well and distributes effectively, but, at 193cm is not a good match up on a 198-200cm KPF with good hands - and there are quite a few of them about.
As I said we likely need more than one KPD. I'm sure we're hoping McCabe can be that taller defender in the next few seasons

The forgotten man is an apt description, he may be borderline underrated I feel. Always seems to pop up at keys moments.

I’ve seen it mentioned here before but I’m really starting to subscribe to it - he’s a great role player, the kind that wins you flags.

Hope he gets to 100 games this season. Great story of a guy taken late in a draft with no real athletic weapons or elite tricks, but pure effort, dedication and consistency.

D'Ambrosio looked super clean. I've got him best 22 and starting R1.

Really happy with this.

We desperately need a plan B exiting defence when under the pump. When teams clamp down on Sicily and he can't make the hail Mary 60m zone piercing kick we can get easily hemmed in.

Mass and Amon at half back brings us a lot of elite options out of D50.

My thoughts on the best performers of the intra club

Hustwaite - was fantastic all game, most of it against Newcombe and Worpel, was on gold team to begin and was benifitting from Reeves tap dominance, but later played in the 2nds group and still was a presence in the middle

Hardwick - had a big first half setting up goals and finished with 2-3 himself, his kicking is the best in the team which will benefit us at either end of the ground

Impey - provided a lot of good run and carry when he was out there, impact per poss

Worpel - played well early, generally liked how he went in the midfield, seems to be continuing good form from last season

Morrison - provided an outlet and hit targets, in good form

Reeves - dominant ruck, he has filled out and is hard to stop, his hit outs to adv a weapon

Ramsden - is filling out and very athletic, was all over the ground, good in the ruck, in fact the only 1 to really challenge Reeves, then had a big 3rd quarter playing in the 2nds/Box Hill team/set up kicking 3 goals against the senior team

C.MacDonald - had a big game floating between hbf and hff, his forward work is improving and he looks to be ready to take that next step in development

Chol - contested marking, good on a lead, looks to be a focal point, can play well in ruck also, generally good shot at goal too, showing signs of good effort

Ginnivan - had a burst of good form in the 2nd half setting up a couple and kicking a couple

Ryan - took a few intercept marks, had good positioning defensively, used the ball well, he was impressive

Watson - his acceleration and decelleration reminds me of Puopolo, good eye for goal, exciting talent

The rest I thought played average games with a handful playing below average

I thought 3 of our best players didn't perform at their best in Sicily, Newcombe and Lewis, but it is a scratch match and they have nothing to prove, so not a big issue...

The only negative at the moment is our growing injury list

Day - foot - month or so?
Moore - glandular fever - month or so?
S.Mitchell - Jaw - ?
McCabe - general soreness - ?
Blanck - Knee - season
Tucker - ?
JOS - ?
Wingard - Achilles - month or so?
Dear - ?
CJ - Hammy - 2 months
B.MacDonald - ?

Last edited:
Its funny how this time last year all of the discussion/hysteria with Hawthorn was about the midfield not being able to perform with the loss of O'Meara and Mitchell. Its amazing how quickly that has turned around, zero mention of it now.

I like James Blanck as a player, see his potential, but he is very Stephen Gilham to us, a good role player, his loss is disappointing but he has only played 24 games, he is not SOS. The most important and influential player in our backline I believe is Sicily, we lose Sic and we lose games. The loss of Blanck gives us the chance to see the potential of Serong and DGB and maybe see what Phillips can bring. I would really be interested to see how Ramsden would go in the back line - could be our Harris Andrews - very similar physical attributes.

Its a shame to lose CJ but it will mean we probably get to see D'Ambrosio on a wing with allegedly the best kick in the team against his old club with a big point to prove so can't wait to see that.

It is so awesome to see us with an exciting forward line again, it has felt so un Hawthorn like the last couple of years. My God if you compare with our forward line we will go in to round 1 this year to round 1 last year, what a transformation. I also don't think it is going to take that long for them to gel, it seems like the chemistry is already building.

Thanks to all those that have provided a training report much appreciated and as always look forward to reading them all 🙏. Apologise for not posting sooner had a busy arvo/evening but walked away with the following. Yesterday’s session was interesting that’s for sure. Some disappointment ……. but far out weighed by the positives. You gotta train the way you want to play. The boys went in hard yesterday with the tackling, smothers, Blanck and Lewis going at each other on the ground right in front of me! Injuries will happen as there is competition for spots so if a wingman, mid, small forward etc goes down you replace them with another soldier and move on that’s the Hawthorn way and confident that our depth is starting to look better these days.

Went with my son. He likes to sit up high to get a view of the whole ground. I like being close to the action walking around at ground level. Within a short time could see how much better we are having the likes of Dimma and the Wiz in the forward line with a couple of quick goals. Dimma leads strongly, is tough, smart, good above his head and a beautiful kick. Has all the trademarks of a forward. The Wiz just makes people look silly in the way he reads the play so much earlier than anyone else. That first goal ……. the two backs were goal side running back towards goal as was the Wiz. But the Wiz just quickly stopped (while the backs were still running back thinking the ball was going over his head I guess) sprung up high on the spot and took an easy mark while Amon and the other back just looked at each other 😄. Gunston is rejuvenated since coming back home he presented well for most of the day adds class and is ready to play. Re Chol …… if I hear another GC or Tigers supporter say that he’s lazy I will spew up all over them. Hits packs, his tackling, chasing, smothers for a man his size is impressive. In one piece of play Weddle went on one of his runs and Chol chased him down and tackled him. Please show me another 200+cm player that can do this? Never seen one of the King brothers do that!

CJ did look good early running around in the middle of the ground but so did Harry ….. with Ward, Amon, D'Ambrosio wings are hopefully covered.

At half time thought I’d better go back to say g’day to my son. As I got there he was surrounded by Kingie, Bucks and a couple of others who parked themselves right next to him. Son and I had a great time listening to these guys with some small chat over the last 3 quarters 😄

Kingie loves the Wiz. During some of his possessions “he’s a star”, “you cant tackle him” while chuckling. Got excited every time he was near the ball. He asked Bucks how many goals will he kick in his first year 20, 30, 40? They then tried remembering other smalls in their first year and they even checked what he was paying for 40 goals 😂. The consensus was around 30. The thing with the Wiz if he only touches it 10 times …… he will still kick and/or set up 2-4 goals. He will be a high impact player as he has some very special traits that you can’t teach. Kid will be a game changer☝️. A couple of players they also talked up was HH, Chol and Kingie asked me who’s that blonde kid he looks alright …… was Bodie 👍. We were both pissed off when Dimma took a big pack mark in front of goals but it wasn’t paid. Then in the last quarter Sammy walked up and parked himself next to Bucks. Kingie asked him about the Wiz for round 1. Sammy didn’t say yes or no but, “he’s making it hard not to get picked”. Reckon he’s in for rd 1 👍 as you can’t ignore the X factor he brings. Sammy also mentioned that they are trying to develop Frenchie and HH to have an inside/outside game where they can play through the middle or half back for versatility. Pointed out the club are also happy with Chol’s athleticism so it looks like the club are encouraging him to play to his strengths.

Some other players that stood out was Ramma. His 3 goals in the 3rd quarter was impressive and he looks bigger which is making a difference when using his body and holding his ground. He’s a very good mover for his size and has a tank. At one stage the forward line of Lewis/Chol/Ramma looked tall but still balanced as they all move pretty well for their size and had good smalls at their feet. Macca looked good at times and Frenchie was always busy. Newk, Worps, Nash our core unit of grunt work just do what they always do very well. HH showing great signs has amazing peripheral vision. He regularly finds ball in congestion and gets a hand ball away while getting tackled hitting team mates without looking at them! Impey showing a lot of leadership/maturity from giving CJ time/support and a big hug after his injury and then when he sat on the bench from half time he was encouraging and constantly talking to teammates ….. great leadership Jars 👏👌. Additions of Chol, Gunners, Wiz, Ginnivan with Lewis, Bruest, Moore, Wingard and Dimma ……. gotta feeling we will have an exciting forward line this season that will kick bigger scores. Go Hawks!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back