Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayZac Williams
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshAdam Cerra
Interchange from:Alex CincottaOrazio FantasiaGeorge Hewett
Brodie KempMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Caleb MarchbankJesse MotlopMarc Pittonet

I see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure dropping the perennial sub after not having any impact a few times as making a statement.

It very, very easily could be the 23rd guy being dropped when his replacement (Motlop) is fit and has some form in the 2s.
Agreed that its not as big of a statement as it could be if it was a more prominent name, but when you hear many of the players talk about trust in one another you simply need to stamp out these little acts before they become widespread.

It also sets the tone on the run in to finals that even if we're 10 goals up in the last, standards need to be maintained from the first picked to the 23rd.

Admittedly I could be reading more into it but it's just too big of a coincidence that he's out of the team.

Last edited:
Punt Rd Ferals Board :tearsofjoy:
Charlie got some frees last week because his opponent was hopelessly undersized

He gets frees against Darcy Moore pretty often too because Darcy lends too long of a rope, defenders only infringe when they’ve been beaten badly as a last ditch attempt to win or halve the contest

Of course you’ll get a lot of frees if you’re a great forward

EDIT:
Josh Kennedy and Charlie had similar output in 2016 and 2023 respectively, both also had a similar rate of FK’s

Similar size, similar style (though Charlie obviously jumps a lot more)

They both get the hands right out infront and leave the defender no choice but to infringe

Last edited:

Charlie got some frees last week because his opponent was hopelessly undersized

He gets frees against Darcy Moore pretty often too because Darcy lends too long of a rope, defenders only infringe when they’ve been beaten badly as a last ditch attempt to win or halve the contest

Of course you’ll get a lot of frees if you’re a great forward

1 poster in particular is obsessed with #FREEKICKCURNOW

Agreed that its not as big of a statement as it could be if it was a more prominent name, but when you hear many of the players talk about trust in one another you simply need to stamp out these little acts before they become widespread.

It also sets the tone on the run in to finals that even if we're 10 goals up in the last, standards need to be maintained from the first picked to the 23rd.

Admittedly I could be reading more into it but it's just too big of a coincidence that he's out of the team.
My point was that it's not really a coincidence at all, but rather makes sense and was almost predictable.

Twice as sub, had barely any game time, and in the limited time he has had he's had little impact. Meanwhile, Motlop in the 2s has have a few games now and seems to have form. Dropping him to the 2s for match time and promoting Moltop likely would have happened whether Durds made the effort or not.

At least Cerra isn't coming back in a game where he has to play really well. Just seems like he always returns in games where he has to be one of our top players for us to win.

I'm interested to see what his role will be. A lot has happened since he has been out.

Hewett has picked up a lot with his form.
Kennedy has picked up a lot with his form and onball game. Found a role as a defensive mid and done it well.
E Hollands has been given a lot more onball time and has been outstanding. It's made him as a player.
Cripps and Walsh have taken their game to their peak.

I still think Cerra will spend a lot of time in another position. Probably half forward. This will effect our wing rotations, so I expect to see more of E Hollands on the wing and probably Cerra himself.

Finally we can keep our entire midfield fresh which IMO is such a massive key to our success.

I actually would not be at all surprised to see Williams spend a little time in the midfield, probably on a wing if Cerra is rotating forward.

Our tactics are going to be fascinating.

I really hope we don't take E Hollands midfield minutes away from him.

This is going to be very exciting to watch. I don't think we have fielded a side this strong since we won our last flag.
I wouldn’t hate it if Cerra got Hollands mid minutes, and played him more half forward and wing. His ball use in open play is an absolute weapon, potentially as good as anyone in the front half of the ground. Work rate is never an issue either, so they could play him anywhere and he will find the ball

My point was that it's not really a coincidence at all, but rather makes sense and was almost predictable.

Twice as sub, had barely any game time, and in the limited time he has had he's had little impact. Meanwhile, Motlop in the 2s has have a few games now and seems to have form. Dropping him to the 2s for match time and promoting Moltop likely would have happened whether Durds made the effort or not.
Pretty sure that Vossy said that Mots is not in the team this week.

Likely Cerra in for Durdin. I'd imagine that if things go o.k. Cerra gets subbed out in the third quarter. Not sure who the sub would be. Maybe Hewett or Kennedy. They might take it in turns the next couple of weeks.

Except for the fact that we've persisted with others as sub with limited game time and output for longer this year.

Doesn't appear as though we're bringing in Motlop for him either.

Except for the fact that we've persisted with others as sub with limited game time and output for longer this year.

Doesn't appear as though we're bringing in Motlop for him either.
I'm not sure we have. Who's been the sub more than Durdin?

The point still stands. Someone comes in and the 23rd player selected goes out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well either we trust the coach and match committee or we don't.
If they reckon Marchbank is the best option then we have to back that in. We love a lot of players but they can't all play always.
It's the way of things regardless of personal favourites us supporters develop.
Watched Marchy the last couple of weeks and he has been bog ordinary. No way in hell will he be picked ahead of Kemp, unless Kemp is too sore to play.

I wouldn’t hate it if Cerra got Hollands mid minutes, and played him more half forward and wing. His ball use in open play is an absolute weapon, potentially as good as anyone in the front half of the ground. Work rate is never an issue either, so they could play him anywhere and he will find the ball
I'm hoping that Hollands and Cerra rotate a fair bit together between the forward line and midfield. Both excellent mids. Both very good field kicks. Want the ball in their hands, especially going inside 50. Cerra's forward craft hasn't really been tapped into yet either. It's there, he will kick goals as well. The emergence of Hollands has changed a lot. Same with Cincotta and Williams. We are yet to see how Cerra fits into this.

Watched Marchy the last couple of weeks and he has been bog ordinary. No way in hell will he be picked ahead of Kemp, unless Kemp is too sore to play.
I suspect Marchbank will get a run in the firsts this year, i'd rather it be against Richmond than the first week of finals.

The Carlton 2024 version is as hard as granite. Whatever the scoreboard result, Richmond players know they will have a few bruises to nurse come Sunday evening.

Weiters and Marchy are the 2 pillars FB and CHB.

McG is the 3rd tall that has speed, keeps his feet and is a beautiful kick.

Kemp is 4th in line…
are we talking about the same McG that is always slipping over, being turned around and wrong footed.

I suspect Marchbank will get a run in the firsts this year, i'd rather it be against Richmond than the first week of finals.
Marchbank will play games but it’s best we get/retain continuity in our back six if possible

Our depth down back is commendable (Young, Marchbank and Durdin) but no need to use it if MC thinks we’ve got the right blend right now.

For mine, I’ve loved Moo and Ollie but they are vulnerable for a defensive position and a wing position - Orazio vulnerable as a HF

All been contributors though!

Guess we just have to be grateful of the position we are in currently and enjoy it while we last, trust the club to field the right side

Loved Voss comments when he was asking about Walsh.... offftt his face was scary!

Either Kennedy or Hewett unfortunately misses out I reckon and Motlop is made sub (to come on for Fantasia), or Kennedy and Hewett both play with one as the sub
Although Kennedy can play a few more positions, I'd prefer Hewett.... Think he's getting better as the season goes on..
Kennedy whilst he gets a bit of it, decision making can be interesting at times..

I'm not sure we have. Who's been the sub more than Durdin?

The point still stands. Someone comes in and the 23rd player selected goes out.
We carried Carroll for considerably longer, whilst he had a hot start to the year even as sub he dropped off and continued to be named.

Just on the Charlie free kicks "debate"

He averages 1.3 free kicks a game (I'd suggest most key forwards would average around 1 free kick per game, mark infringements are very easy to come by inside 50) and he averages 5.3 shots per game. Assume every free kick is a shot for goal (it isn't) he still would average 4.0 shots per game, which is still elite for a key forward.

In any case, it's obviously nothing but jealousy. But it's nice that fans are jealous of our players now and making excuses as to why they're good instead of why half our starting 22 are spuds.

Not that any of this matters too much (good sign to be arguing about this over losing games like we have been over the last 1000000 years)
The press today suggests Motlop has no form. He sounds a few weeks away at best based on output that voss wants from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back