Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small sample size with Marchbank - he's only had 5 one on ones this season, so it's literally 4 from 5.

3 of those were in the first North game, 1 v Sydney, and none against the Dogs.

If the MC have seen enough of Kemp and Marchbank in the second tall role, I can understand the rationale. Durdin comes in as the second tall, Marchbank drops back to be the intercept player which he does do very well.

Would love to see Kemp used as a forward in the VFL. The current role isn't playing to his strengths and he's well done on confidence.

Still not convinced that Marchbank hasn't checked out mentally but happy for the MC to give it him another go and see if he can build into form.

Kemp should be competing with JSOS for the third tall forward spot. What JSOS has over him in smarts, Kemp has over him in pace and athleticism. He'd be a great foil if he can stay out of the big boy's way like Jack does.

But Kemp can also be a good lead up down the wing and play part of the game like Mason Wood. I hurt for the guy. He's got so much upside.

Marchbank was atrocious the last time we played North.

Had 4 kicked on him in Q1 alone.

Kemp getting punished one week late after having a bag kicked on him against GWS?
Bloody good effort that considering the Roos only had 3 goals at quarter time from three individual goalkickers. From memory Marchbank played on Zurhaar who kicked one goal in the first quarter and ended with one for the day. Couple of riders though Marchbank was a bit shaky early and Zurhaar missed a couple and Marchbank was also cleaned up by Boyd and retired early.

Kemp's ideal role is back pocket playing on mid/smaller defenders.

But instead of playing him there, we roll him out to play on the gorillas every week just so Weitering and McGovern can play to their strengths.

Good luck to Weitering this week who is going to have to deal with Larkey solo.

And Larkey has Weitering on the lead all day long. No Kemp or Gov to help out in that regard. If our midfield can't win this week, I don't expect our defense to win the game for us.

Not sure what to make of team selection at the minute

Feels like we’ve lost some momentum with the “tweaks” made last two weeks

Motlop in for williams
Cunningham for cottrell
Hewitt in for Pitto/TDK (if injured)

I think this says it best with Kemp.

His floor and ceiling are so far apart that he is part of the problem of our defence shipping goals. In a contested moment Kemp is either an 8 or a 2. We need defenders with a floor and ceiling in a much better range.

This good and bad propensity is core to most of our defenders. Newman can get possessions and metres gained but he simply cant close gaps when its fast overlap transition by the opposition. Again it leads to goals. But Newmans stats look great like Kemps intercept marks.

I'm glad you two are besties now. But ... get a room.

The players and coaches had a complete "look each other in the eye" meeting on their team defence early this week. They would have identified the issues.

The mission for the next 5 weeks will be to keep the oppo to the 80-85 we were doing for about 5 weeks, and not the 100+ of the last 2 weeks.

The leaders will have had their say about any concerns, everyone will have been put on notice, and actions will speak loud now. I think our Flag dash will ramp up from now. No panic, we've had our ups most of the year, we've had a small lapse, they've looked each other in the eye, and the Flag run starts now.

Good time to be a Blue.

Okay, I'm going to move on from my Kemp crusade, unless taunted to return. I had to get it off my chest.

I am concerned about the form of several other players, and I wonder why they aren't held to account. We don't make changes like other teams do, and when we experiment, it's usually with the same favoured players. I'm thankful that Cincotta got a gig when he did, because he was also in and out last year. He's trailed off too however, but we need his pace and aggression.

Cuningham and Motlop deserved their call ups. Cunners will probably titillate me a couple of times, and frustrate me many more times. Hewett was missed and didn't deserve his omission in the first place.

Ollie was better last week than the week before so I'll give him another week. Cottrell is there for endurance but running up and back while not affecting the play, is not the way. We'll probably get old about unrewarded running and all, but there is a reason some players aren't rewarded, and that is because we don't trust them with the ball. This is why Acres gets rewarded for his run, because he is smarter with the ball, even if he does turn it over now and then. We don't use both wings anywhere near enough, because one wing isn't up to the level.

Fogarty is there to pressure and tackle to keep the ball going our way. His tackle numbers are way down, and he isn't getting a lot of the pill either, so he needs to lift or make way for ... someone.

Boyd is on the bench and Cincotta named down back this week. Boydy is there for his disposal and it's been atrocious of late. His drop in form might be about to be punished, but maybe not. Either way, the naming of the side is a shot across the bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody good effort that considering the Roos only had 3 goals at quarter time from three individual goalkickers. From memory Marchbank played on Zurhaar who kicked one goal in the first quarter and ended with one for the day. Couple of riders though Marchbank was a bit shaky early and Zurhaar missed a couple and Marchbank was also cleaned up by Boyd and retired early.
North got their first three goals all from free kicks, each one was against Marchbank (who was panicking).

The players and coaches had a complete "look each other in the eye" meeting on their team defence early this week. They would have identified the issues.

The mission for the next 5 weeks will be to keep the oppo to the 80-85 we were doing for about 5 weeks, and not the 100+ of the last 2 weeks.

The leaders will have had their say about any concerns, everyone will have been put on notice, and actions will speak loud now. I think our Flag dash will ramp up from now. No panic, we've had our ups most of the year, we've had a small lapse, they've looked each other in the eye, and the Flag run starts now.

Good time to be a Blue.
Yes. Yes it is.

Still not sure why Hewitt was dropped in the first place, I understand that Cerra was coming back but surely our midfield can accommodate both,
George is soo important to the way our stoppage and Centre square sets up, its irrelevant who's rucking if our mix in there isn't right,
Everyone was talking about our Bulls in the middle when we were dominating, Kennedy and Hewitt other than Cripps were who they were referring to,
Kennedy and Hewitt can play together and sick of one being sub or dropped just doesn't make sense

Okay, I'm going to move on from my Kemp crusade, unless taunted to return. I had to get it off my chest.

I am concerned about the form of several other players, and I wonder why they aren't held to account. We don't make changes like other teams do, and when we experiment, it's usually with the same favoured players. I'm thankful that Cincotta got a gig when he did, because he was also in and out last year. He's trailed off too however, but we need his pace and aggression.

Cuningham and Motlop deserved their call ups. Cunners will probably titillate me a couple of times, and frustrate me many more times. Hewett was missed and didn't deserve his omission in the first place.

Ollie was better last week than the week before so I'll give him another week. Cottrell is there for endurance but running up and back while not affecting the play, is not the way. We'll probably get old about unrewarded running and all, but there is a reason some players aren't rewarded, and that is because we don't trust them with the ball. This is why Acres gets rewarded for his run, because he is smarter with the ball, even if he does turn it over now and then. We don't use both wings anywhere near enough, because one wing isn't up to the level.

Fogarty is there to pressure and tackle to keep the ball going our way. His tackle numbers are way down, and he isn't getting a lot of the pill either, so he needs to lift or make way for ... someone.

Boyd is on the bench and Cincotta named down back this week. Boydy is there for his disposal and it's been atrocious of late. His drop in form might be about to be punished, but maybe not. Either way, the naming of the side is a shot across the bow.
How do you pm

This is nothing like 99, we won 12 games in the home and away that year, Essendon won 18. We were an ordinary team that year and lost a final by 73 points before making a Grand Final. The win against Essendon was something of a miracle, there are no similarities to Carlton of 2024.
No similarities between us needing everything to go right on the day to beat sydneyv like it did in 99' prelim against essendon?

No similarities between us needing everything to go right on the day to beat sydneyv like it did in 99' prelim against essendon?
We are a better performed team than that one, if we play Sydney we will be playing on more equal terms. Essendon was streets ahead of us, they just got cocky and paid the price.

The finished first on the ladder, won the flag and won an amazing amount of close games, the way they applied pressure and performed under pressure was astounding. Both Geelong and Sydney had to be really rally good to beat them in the finals series the year before. We are horribly underrating Collingwood.

We aren't at that level yet. We potentially could be if everything comes together from here on with our finals run but we have quite a bit of improvement to go before we are in this category.

In my opinion our midfield has not been firing well enough the last few weeks. Perhaps the mix or our tactics are failing. Or forward line is not good enough on paper but potentially could be awesome pending fitness. Our defence is going ok but IMO we are short one rebounding defender. This again could be remedied if Docherty returns successfully.

The part of the Brissy game that concerned me the most is the fact we jumped to a 5 goal lead and got absolutely smashed for the remaining 3 quarters. We have seen that a couple of times since then. To me, this happen when you have enough guns to get you out of the blocks but not enough quality through the entire team to sustain it.

Our celling is really high, our current side is mediocre, we need everyone out there to win the whole thing. Sydney will be meeting every side that is at least equivalent to our best 22.
We aren’t mediocre

How can this comparison be made? The Bombers were playing exquisite footy in the second half of 99. They were on a 15 game winning streak if I remember. They carried that form into 2000 playing some of the best footy you'd ever see. Sydney is nowhere near this level.

North got their first three goals all from free kicks, each one was against Marchbank (who was panicking).
Even if so (and I can't be bothered going back to check because the British Open is on at one of my favourite courses in Troon) I was responding to a poster who said that Marchbanks direct opponent had kicked 4 goals (in a quarter where they only kicked three).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back