Preview 2024 Rd 19 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sunday 21st July 4:40PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the life of me I can't understand the reluctance of some people to acknowledge that we are a good team, we aren't second on the ladder without reason.

HERE......NO ROMANTICS!!!

Does Vossy come across a bleeding-heart romantic to you? :think:

I would THINK NOT!

Trust in Voss and Co.
Being a romantic in a game of sport has nothing to do with being a "bleeding heart", to use your words.

Being a romantic of the game, is getting Murph to 300 games due to his service to the club (I was in support of his 300th).

Being a romantic of the game is Jason McCartney’s comeback match eight months after suffering burns to 50 per cent of his body in the 2002 Bali bombings, only to immediately retire from football after the Kangaroos’ three-point win

Being a romantic of the game is watching Paddy McCartin coming back to the game and playing in a grand final with his brother after concussion resulted in his retirement for the first time.

Being a romantic is Sam Docherty kicking a goal outside 50 in his return to the game after going through chemo after his cancer came back. You would be hard pressed to find a AFL fan who didn't celebrate that moment for him.

They are all moments that go outside what team you support and you are just there to take it all in and celebrate

That's what I meant by being a romantic of the game.

Getting Marchbank to the grand final to potentially get a winners medal after all he's been through injury wise could be another example of this

I trust Voss but there are moments I question decisions made. We are far from a perfect team and when moments need to be assessed, constructive thoughts are welcome in my books. And let's be realistic if we didn't then these board would be dead

Anyway back to the team. Hoping Motlop doesn't well and shows why he shouldn't be dropped. Oh and here's to winning 😀

We are a better performed team than that one, if we play Sydney we will be playing on more equal terms. Essendon was streets ahead of us, they just got cocky and paid the price.
In 1999 we finished 6th with 12 wins and then got beaten by Brisbane by 73 points in a final. Stayed in because the finals system was totally flawed. Two weeks later we beat * in a prelim to make a grand final and advanced further than the team that beat us by 73 points.

Even if so (and I can't be bothered going back to check because the British Open is on at one of my favourite courses in Troon) I was responding to a poster who said that Marchbanks direct opponent had kicked 4 goals (in a quarter where they only kicked three).
Yeah, he was wrong by one goal. Directly conceded the first three goals.

In 1999 we finished 6th with 12 wins and then got beaten by Brisbane by 73 points in a final. Stayed in because the finals system was totally flawed. Two weeks later we beat * in a prelim to make a grand final and advanced further than the team that beat us by 73 points.
Yes, I had noted that in my original reply which Michael quoted, there's no comparison to be made in my opinion.

Last edited:
Fogarty is there to pressure and tackle to keep the ball going our way. His tackle numbers are way down, and he isn't getting a lot of the pill either, so he needs to lift or make way for ... someone.
Re Fogarty, it's incredibly hard to apply pressure and tackle if the structures aren't right. Teams are so good at pinging the ball around and finding the loose man. They're the new buzzwords, but it really is about team defence and connection.

Starting Cincotta forward and having him move into the middle means we're often outnumbered in our front half, and the opposition are rebounding so easily. Cottrell's been AWOL, whereas Fantasia was doing a decent job defensively. We've struggled with forward half loose balls because we're failing to get enough numbers to the drop.

We probably are persisting with role players who are out of form but at the same time we need to setup correctly to give our pressure players a fighting chance.

Kemp over commits, flying for balls when he should be bodying an opponent.

Doesn't read hand overs as well as others. Peels off at the wrong time to impact a marking contest

When he is good, he is very good, when bad, it costs goals

Nothing new, it's been happening for 12 months

I hope he players 3rd tall forward at VFL level

You must've missed how many goals Marchbank cost us last week...

Cottrell has been a ghost for the most part and is not in form... should've had to build up in the 2's
Pitto is bad for balance... didn't even take a mark against the Dogs...
Marchbank was terrible... goes to ground too easily, would have met zero kpis last week (unless getting through a game uninjured has become one for him now)
Ollie needs more time, will be a ripper once he gets a couple more preseasons under his belt but we aren't going to get much more from him than what he's showing

Last edited:
I'm thinking the final bench will be Motlop, Hewett, Cuningham, Boyd, and Durdin, with one of Boyd (to rest) and Cuningham as sub. Cincotta can defend if required, especially given the presence of Zurhaar and Ford.
Whoever was picked out of Kemp or Marchbank would have to play on the 204cm forward/ruck in Teakle. Against Collingwood we dropped Kemp and they had the Cameron/Cox resting ruck. A bit of a trend now showing us that the MC don't rate Kemp defensively against those types. Last time he made way for Young and this time it's Marchbank.
You'd think that would be Sam Durdin's role. Marchbank is a whole 1cm taller than Kemp, with nowhere near the leap. He's also not great in one on one wrestles. The point would be valid if it were Kemp vs Young.
Yup, agree that Durdin will come in and play on Teakle, but imagine he'll get exposed in terms of getting to position for any other kind of defensive play.

Disappointed for Kemp when he should have slot straight into the 3rd defender role instead. Hopefully he's being rested, because if he's playing as a dour defender in the VFL again, the MC have a lot to answer for.
For the life of me I can't understand the reluctance of some people to acknowledge that we are a good team, we aren't second on the ladder without reason.
That would probably be due to the fact that we've tossed away a huge opportunity to secure 2nd on the ladder repeatedly, but we're hardly alone in terms of teams underperforming in 2024. The gap between 2nd and 13th is current two wins. Let that sink in.

We had a successful series of tactics, yet we keep going back to dabbling with the old ones - that repeatedly had us fall away in games - for no discernable reason other than the personal obsessions of a select few coaches.

North arguably have the worst forward line in the game - and leave themselves defensively wide open to try and fix it - so we've probably got this one in the bag, but we've made it hard for ourselves at times.

Kemp over commits, flying for balls when he should be bodying an opponent.

Doesn't read hand overs as well as others. Peels off at the wrong time to impact a marking contest

When he is good, he is very good, when bad, it costs goals

Nothing new, it's been happening for 12 months

I hope he players 3rd tall forward at VFL level
i had to read the first word again, as I felt that was about McGovern.

Kemp gets the tallest forward every bloody week, and we won't try him anywhere else on the ground. Despite this, he is not as shaky as Marchbank, contests everything in the air ... unlike Marchbank, actually holds his mark ... unlike Marchbank. I truly hope another club comes for him, and he leaves. He gets shafted far too much. When Marchbank is omitted, we sugar coat it with 'managed'. When Kemp is omitted, we let everyone know he's our nominated scapegoat.

Marchbank, Cottrell, Boyd, Fogarty, Ollie Hollands ... horribly out of form, but a good chance that none or maybe one of them is out of the side.

This selection committee plays favourites.

Nothing that happens against 17th placed North is going to change my mind on this. I'm incredibly frustrated.

After the last two losses where we lacked intensity and were scored on heavily due to the sheer volume of inside 50s the defenders had to endure, we drop a defender who was in better form than one who stayed, we have one forced change through injury, and we will probably leave our a ruckman as we don't need two this week.

Some players have endless credits and some are first out when anything goes wrong.
Joke that Kemp has to play on key position forwards.

Even crazier that we leave him out for Marchbank.

You couldn't blame him if he felt like leaving.

What are the chances Marchbank can put together 10 consecutive games to get to the grandfinal? Next to zero.

We are putting our faith in the wrong guy. We've been consistently show for years he can't be relied upon.

Re Fogarty, it's incredibly hard to apply pressure and tackle if the structures aren't right. Teams are so good at pinging the ball around and finding the loose man. They're the new buzzwords, but it really is about team defence and connection.

Starting Cincotta forward and having him move into the middle means we're often outnumbered in our front half, and the opposition are rebounding so easily. Cottrell's been AWOL, whereas Fantasia was doing a decent job defensively. We've struggled with forward half loose balls because we're failing to get enough numbers to the drop.

We probably are persisting with role players who are out of form but at the same time we need to setup correctly to give our pressure players a fighting chance.
Fogarty went from dud bound for delisting to undroppable.
He’s nether of those things - probably a 18-25 ranked player.
Still, he’d provide the grunt if this is our first choice forward line:

E Hollands Curnow Fogarty
Martin McKay Motlop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup, agree that Durdin will come in and play on Teakle, but imagine he'll get exposed in terms of getting to position for any other kind of defensive play.

Disappointed for Kemp when he should have slot straight into the 3rd defender role instead. Hopefully he's being rested, because if he's playing as a dour defender in the VFL again, the MC have a lot to answer for.
I think the MC do rate Kemp higher than Marchbank as a 3rd defender which is why I don't think Durdin is coming in. If Durdin was to come in I think they would have dropped Marchbank and played Kemp as the 3rd. I think Kemp being dropped is to avoid him having to play on Teakle and the 2nd tall.

Guess we will see tomorrow - if Pink plays I think it opens up the door for Durdin

Last edited:
Whoever was picked out of Kemp or Marchbank would have to play on the 204cm forward/ruck in Teakle. Against Collingwood we dropped Kemp and they had the Cameron/Cox resting ruck. A bit of a trend now showing us that the MC don't rate Kemp defensively against those types. Last time he made way for Young and this time it's Marchbank.
Kemp can and could have played the 3rd role on a medium forward. Don’t buy it, sorry.

outside of weitering our defenders are carrying the can for each other until we get lucky and stick a 2nd tall. kemp gets the most games because he's better than young and marchbank/durdin never gets on the park, gov gets to do what he wants. kemp certainly been the most successful though not the ideal fit.
hope he can go back and get some confidence at the lower level, could do him some good to get his hands on the ball.

time will tell if the game really has passed marchbank by. same for some of the other selections. we may (or not) see an orazio vs richmond like bump in performance before coming back to earth.

I've never thought Marchbank was that great a player and every time I see him now it looks like injuries have really taken a toll on him.

I hope that our defensive pillars come finals are Weitering Durdin and McGovern and Kemp finds a role up the field.

Cincotta on the ball and Kemp on a wing or 3rd tall forward would make us a lot lot better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back