Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All the same campaigners after every loss, two in a row they're microwaving their memberships! No doubt on the planet they are the same individuals who threw the baby out with the bath water last year! Yep the one where we made a run to the Pre-Lim final!!!!!
Give me a break, not supporters, merely barracker's.

Sack Voss
Sack Cripps
Sack Walsh
Sack Curnow
Move Harry down to the half back flank to free him up
Trade Weitering for a late second rounder
And play the kids for the rest of the year. Yeah play the kids

Get a grip everyone. We will probably still be inside the eight by the end of this round. And for those “switching off for the rest of the year” or handing in your memberships, when we start wining and make finals this year (which we will), you will be charged triple what every other loyal
I would like to know WTF is Voss doing with Kennedy?

Had a great pre season, is fit and running well. He has good hands, tough and a good ball user. Yet, is played third forward or HB and this week Sub. Just NUTS

Play him in the middle and let him play his best role. We will be much better for it
I suspect he thought that it was going to be a hard slog through the midfield for three quarters and a close game up until that point and wanted a fresh big body in the final quarter to dominate the midfield to get us acorss the line. It’s not completely without sense

Cripps is an excellent leader from a motivational standpoint than strategic …bit like Voss I think

We need smart experienced footballers on the field instructing.

The instructions are two fold…

1. To teach newbies about positioning and general advice. I think we are ok with this.

2. Identify tactical changes needed during the game to swing momentum our way. Basically an extension of the coaches voice on the field.

I’m not sure we have anyone on field that is good enough with point 2.
That was Doc.

All the same campaigners after every loss, two in a row they're microwaving their memberships! No doubt on the planet they are the same individuals who threw the baby out with the bath water last year! Yep the one where we made a run to the Pre-Lim final!!!!!
Give me a break, not supporters, merely barracker's.

The same people that keep boasting about a Premlin Finals as success also think losing is okay

Different people have different goals and definitions of success

I have also not seen or read anyone say they want to burn their memberships

From my perspective we are close but there are some obvious issues we need to address

Last edited:
And Newman’s continual kicks up the chimney.
I feel like that's the last resort kick to gain territory.

Throw it up and hopefully we either mark it halve the contest to either get a ball up or go out of bounds further up the ground. It makes sense, just isn't great when it seems continuous.

4 of the first 8 goals Carlton conceded were from basic defensive errors
1. Williams free on Elliot
2. Williams free on Elliot, no one marked maynard
3. Young over runs ball or does not bend down to pick it up
4. Young beaten by Cox in a 1 v 1. If Young can't halve aerials play kemp

In contrast pies errors were basically coridoor turnovers 90 meters from goal

Don't buy the lack of effort argument. Bad structure often manifests as a seeming lack of pressure.

Collingwood's defensive press and their ability to get more numbers to the contest made us look slow and ineffective. We're slow by foot but quick by hand, and when the opposition have +2 at the drop of the ball we're going to look dreadful.

That, plus an inability to break lines by foot or run from defence killed us. Not sure we had the personnel for the latter (maybe Walsh back instead of Cerra in the last was the go).

The former, Voss got out coached and failed to even up numbers at the contest. I'll take a slow, congested slog over what we saw yesterday.
Collingwood wanted it more. See the tackle count 80 odd to 54

As frustrating as it was watching Newman with his ball movement by foot, Boyd is a joy to watch- makes 50metre passes in traffic. We need a few more like him
Charlie’s 50m pass to Cotters, across the ground was also great to see.

It was a pleasant relief from watching forward entries kicked to outnumbered or out positioned teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s actually a bit to this. When I see him at the odd club gig he keeps telling me how much he wants to be a mid as did so frequently at juniors.

Maybe the extra 2 years is also about us seeing him as a sharper pinch hitting mid in the future?
If he has aspirations of joining the midfield he needs to start to get substantially larger amounts of the ball.

Last edited:
Hard to tell …

Is it mental ?

Or

Lack of strategy /poor skills?
Compromise Shrug GIF

If we are going to keep playing 2 rucks I would love to see Charlie have bursts up the field.

He is a running star athlete and could have Kouta moments. Also changes us up a bit and make us less predictable while helping the midfield

I don’t know why we don’t try these things?
Agree to a extent, l think Charlie needs to become smarter & work harder when things are not going his way, too many times he is outmarked instead of bringing the ball to ground to create a contest.

Two rucks works for collingwood because they only have 1 tall forward…our three talls up there couldn’t put any pressure on collingwood running it out…won’t matter what half forward mix we have

It won’t happen but if love to see TKD to play at CHB and throw Kemp forward as the third tall

Pitto can get a chop out from H and TKD can ruck in the D50

Charlie should be the mobile 3rd tall but at the moment he’s playing like plugger in his return season…just wants to wrestle and try and get out the back……we need more of what he did to set up goals last night…leading out and marking on the HFF and then Lazer hitting 50m passes to McKay…etc…He’s our best kicker into the attacking 50….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collingwood as always have pace on the outside and they smashed us with it, as they mostly do.

I don't think having 3 195cm+ forwards is a good thing, too immobile and slow and kills our ground level game. Can't retain the ball in the forward half. Allows teams to exit too easily and good rebound sides like Collingwood will smash you. I think ideally the two talls and a ruck who can play forward a bit so DeKoning and one or two medium sized mobile forwards is where it's at. So far we haven't been able to put that together because of injuries and no depth in this area.

Collingwood use their leg speed to apply pressure. It's something I have always admired about them and been very critical about us.

In games like this, playing the better sides, those cream players we are missing hurt. It's no excuse, they had 3 clear best 22 players out.

They were just too good for us. I thought we may have been able to beat them at the contests and clearances but not the case. We're easily undone by the quicker sides around the middle. Teams like Collingwood and Adelaide have seemed to get a hold of us when we thought we were a chance. We have a very clear weakness here.

We're playing up the middle more, which is fine but you need faster defenders who can defend in space and one on one if you are going to do this because when you turn the ball over in the middle it creates these situations. We just need to get those quicker defenders back like Saad, Marchbank and McGovern.

Not sure we are up with the times tactically with our midfield. Think there is probably time for change in there. We just don't have the ability to go to a close checking pressure setup in there like Collingwood have the last few seasons. Think we just hunt the ball still or get blown away.

Don't want to see Young and Weitering in the same side again, it doesn't work. Play Durdin. TDK needs to work on his defensive game, his spoiling technique is shit.

It takes a player a long time to develop, our young defenders are still a few seasons off.

I think the weakest part about this game and the last few weeks has been our defence. Leaked like a sieve last week. We got beating in the midfield and we needed it to rebound and it wasn't quite there.

If we are going to keep playing 2 rucks I would love to see Charlie have bursts up the field.

He is a running star athlete and could have Kouta moments. Also changes us up a bit and make us less predictable while helping the midfield

I don’t know why we don’t try these things?
tactics aren't a strong point for us. Our coaching panel is made up of rejects and failures and it shows. A lot of very in the box thinking. We could improve a lot in this area. Think our midfield tactics are are outdated and one dimensional. We could do with a freshen up.

Collingwood wanted it more. See the tackle count 80 odd to 54
That's generally what happens when you get more numbers to the contest. Collingwood often had a +3 at stoppage.

Question is, was it instruction or workrate?

Is it really necessary to constantly moan about how much we miss JSOS and Doc and blame recent losses on this reality.
We are now 1/3 of the way through season 2024, they're not coming back...try to focus on players, positional moves, game plans that actually may have some benefit to our results this year.

Passengers

Hewett was horrible I mean really really horrible the worst game he has played for us - ever. In fact it is a continuation of very ordinary form.
Fantasia was the invisible phantam a ghost
Durdin runs fast in straight lines- usually nowhere near the contest
Cottrell has to improve his defensive efforts to match his offensive smarts
Young is just a waste of time

Coaching

stop trying to tap to Cripps who is being held back and try tapping to someone else who is unmarked FFS
Have to agree with these points. :arrowup:

Pitto only directs hitouts to Cripps, can't we mix it up a little bit, y'know to make it harder to defend.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Back