2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't have Sicily close at this stage. Missed 2 games and wasn't in great form before his injury. He hasn't even been the best Hawthorn defender this year
Was okay before injury, but since then has been by far the best Hawthorn defender and would be top 3 easily for the competition. Continues this form and he makes it.

No mention of Sicily? He has been the best defender in the month, which at his best he’s significantly better than anyone else.
33rd amongst defenders for score involvements
17th for score launches
=16th for intercept marks
=12th for intercepts

Nah, he's nowhere near where he needs to be for AA. Wouldn't be in the squad at this point.

17th for score launches
=12th for intercepts

Nah, he's nowhere near where he needs to be for AA. Wouldn't be in the squad at this point.
= 12 for intercepts is surprising I'll need to double check that. I thought he had been better at the offensive side than that.

Edit: I have him on equal 4th for int possession but that's AVG if you have totals.

I think AVG is better but with a game filter for 70% of the season players like Mac Andrew and Sam Taylor have only played 11 games but are elite interceptors.

Last edited:

= 12 for intercepts is surprising I'll need to double check that. I thought he had been better at the offensive side than that.

Edit: I have him on equal 4th for int possession but that's AVG if you have totals.

I think AVG is better but with a game filter for 70% of the season players like Mac Andrew and Sam Taylor have only played 11 games but are elite interceptors.
Totals are more relevant than averages.

17th for score launches
=12th for intercepts

Totals are irrelevant.

I’d like to see the averages of these, but disagree.

^^^

Averages are relevant, totals aren’t.

Totals are more relevant than averages.
I think it's more nuanced than that, totals would be more important than an avg of some player who has only played a handful of games against a subset of the competition but if it's set around 70% of the season which is a criteria for AA than avg is more relevant.

Just so you know I'm not here campaigning for sics selection I was just surprised by your stat.

Totals are irrelevant.

I’d like to see the averages of these, but disagree.
You don’t need to play all games to make AA, missing games automatically puts you behind players in total, but that doesn’t diminish the quality of the season.

Averages are much more relevant than totals.
No, they aren't. You just want them to be because it lends to your argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, they aren't. You just want them to be because it lends to your argument.
🤣 I have always said this and always will continue to, in any conversation or discussion. Averaging something out is a much more effective tool than total, whilst also taking into account games played.

Youre just doing totals because its lending to your “argument”, see how dumb it sounds?

One of the worst kicks in the league - sheesh!

Drinking bath water in Adelaide has a whole new meaning - have you seen their water, pre-bathing?
Yet he's got 53 coaches votes in 10 games 🤔 the 2nd highest per game to only Heeney

Lol, you both know his kicking is terrible. No one can dispute that. And his efficiency his boosted by his long kicks to contests which are classed as effective.

There are 18 midfielders with a higher player rating, despite Walsh being #3 for average disposals. Only kicked 3 goals for the season as well.

Sorry he doesn't deserve AA, every non Carlton Fan agrees.

Lol, you both know his kicking is terrible. No one can dispute that. And his efficiency his boosted by his long kicks to contests which are classed as effective.

There are 18 midfielders with a higher player rating, despite Walsh being #3 for average disposals. Only kicked 3 goals for the season as well.

Walsh's kicking has been poor compared to normal this season, no one is disagreeing with that. But his impact on games has still been immense, hence why multiple coaches have chosen to tag him already.

Coaches votes, Brownlow predictors etc are testament to his impact this season despite his ordinary kicking most weeks.

No I think “terrible” is overkill & shows your hand - a whole lot of nada.

He’s come off back issues pre-season and a late start as an outcome.

He’s suffered some heavy tags - worked through those & had another brilliant game last week.

Must be a reason coaches & footy journos disagree with you?

What could that be?

Like say, totals?
Totals favour players who play every game and aren’t a be all and all in regards to quality. Averages using games is a much more specific and effective way to measure quality.

Player 1
Totals - games (12/14)
350 disposals
25 goals
Avg
29.1 disposals
2.08 goals

Player 2
Totals - games (14/14)
395 disposals
27 goals
Avg
28.21 disposals
1.9 goals

2 games discrepancy, 1 better averages, 2 better totals.

No I think “terrible” is overkill & shows your hand - a whole lot of nada.

He’s come off back issues pre-season and a late start as an outcome.

He’s suffered some heavy tags - worked through those & had another brilliant game last week.

Must be a reason coaches & footy journos disagree with you?

What could that be?

All the top mids get tagged, and his preseason limitations are not relevant in AA discussion

Totals favour players who play every game and aren’t a be all and all in regards to quality. Averages using games is a much more specific and effective way to measure quality.

Player 1
Totals - games (12/14)
350 disposals
25 goals
Avg
29.1 disposals
2.08 goals

Player 2
Totals - games (14/14)
395 disposals
27 goals
Avg
28.21 disposals
1.9 goals

2 games discrepancy, 1 better averages, 2 better totals.

Yes players who play every game are more valuable than players who don't play every game.

Because the player who plays every game winds up with more output.

It's not really a difficult thing to grasp and I am sure you would be fine with it if it didn't happen to go against your argument.

Quality, by the way, is a concept that means nothing without a definition.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back