Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 27
  • Rumor of interest in Brandan Parfitt (link)
  • Unverified Twitter poster with zero track record suggests we are close to securing Brett Montgomery as a senior assistant coach (link)

Last edited:
You only had to watch him .....same as Lachie Hunter, who joined MELB last year in terrific condition, career best ....this year, as the season progressed he was puffy & out of shape, ala Bulldogs condition

It doesn't take too much to work out his frame of mind .....suddenly retires now at 29
Umm you have heard about Hunters off-field activities?

So currently we are connected to James Peatling and Brandan Parfitt??

Have we made a big push for James Peatling as well?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Have an actual rumour for this thread. Heard we have spoken to Parfitt's management. Apparently we like his fit with our desired age profile + versatility. Issue being list spots and would need to do a medical. First time I've heard any info from this fella but he would have known Brandan in his North Adelaide days.

Would make sense given our reported interest in the past and his SA connection. Don't hate the idea but would probably mean no Peatling if it happened.
Desired age and experience because we are blaming our lack of experience for our shit year. Not the senior coach going rogue bonkers or pulling stupid moves or selections, nor underperforming or mediocre senior players, it was the kids.

We are all about trying to get a few more wins in 2025 to take the pressure off themselves and building a premiership list is second priority now.

The coaches need to accept that there is no reason to go backwards. There is nothing in our recent past worth clinging to.

Murphy small forward
Laird midfield
Smith rebounding defender
Milera in any role

All have either had their time or never quite made their mark.

Moving on from them however will mean that our 22 is very young (again) so I worry we'll try to squeeze all those guys above in and it will be the likes of Dowling, Taylor, Nankervis, Curtin, Pick 4 who miss out.

Do our coaches see ANB, Cumming and hopefully Peatling as replacements for under-performing mature-agers who lack leadership

Or do they see this as an opportunity to boost the age and experience of our 22?

I'm sure they see it as both.

We're not dropping Curtin, Nank or Pick 4. But equally, they're not immediately dropping Laird. He'll continue in his defensive 50 role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure they see it as both.

We're not dropping Curtin, Nank or Pick 4. But equally, they're not immediately dropping Laird. He'll continue in his defensive 50 role.
I think it's too early to see what will happen to Laird next year, his drop off this year was significant.

Over the pre-season he may well be overtaken in the match sim.

Imagine being 7 years into a rebuild, finishing bottom 4 and not being sure if you can pick up players because of list spots. Hilarious.
We're not seven years into a rebuild.

We didn't genuinely start the rebuild until the 2019 off season, when we cut deeply into the mature out of contract players.

We started 2019 thinking we could still contend.

We've had five seasons of the rebuild. Not sure what else people expected - this is exactly what rebuilds look like. They suck.

Peatling would be an assume get along with Cumming, but be staggered if GWS traded him
I think he's likely to go somewhere.

He hasn't been mentioned anywhere as being interested in a move here. So far, it's just an invention of this board - though he seems a good fit.

Last edited:
Seems like this has been on the cards for a while, just put on hold while he was going through the WCE interview process
Is this regarding Montgomery?

We didn't genuinely start the rebuild until the 2019 off season, when we cut deeply into the mature out of contract players.

We've had five seasons of the rebuild. Not sure what else people expected - this is exactly what rebuilds look like. They suck.
If they are done right

We didnt do it right

What will the excuse be next year? Still rebuilding?

7 years or 5 years, the points the same. For a side ranked 15th to be tight for list spots 2 years running is inexcusable. Stupid contracts, poor drafting and getting finished players to their trigger and then dropping them from a moron coach is why this rebuild sucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back