Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 27
  • Rumor of interest in Brandan Parfitt (link)

Last edited:

You would think it odd if we are going after Peatling why we would have rushed to sign up Berry? I understand Peatling may have been a hail Mary, but still, Berry contract could have been put on hold until we knew either way
Its all about depth. The very best sides have midfield depth coming out of their backsides. It creates a juggling act in terms of selection but you can never have enoygh AFL quality midfielders.

So if we bring in Cumming ANB and Peatling, they all improve our 22? Who goes out?

Cumming-Smith or Laird
ANB-Murphy
Peatling-Berry?
Honestly? I think it'll be the younger guys at first. Nankervis, Dowling, Berry. They want the age profile/experience level up.

You would think it odd if we are going after Peatling why we would have rushed to sign up Berry? I understand Peatling may have been a hail Mary, but still, Berry contract could have been put on hold until we knew either way
Crouch out of contract next year, Laird no longer seen as a 1st choice mid and still ? on Pedlar. Lose Berry and miss out on Peatling and you're potentially looking a bit thin in 12 months time in that role.

You can lock down an asset and then re-asses in 12 months time if you want to move them. If Berry isn't getting games he'll probably look elsewhere too.

Its all about depth. The very best sides have midfield depth coming out of their backsides. It creates a juggling act in terms of selection but you can never have enoygh AFL quality midfielders.
I think we've got too much quantity, not enough quality with our mids.

Laird, Crouch, Dawson, Rankine, Soligo, Berry, Taylor, Dowling, Curtin, Edwards and Schoenberg, plus Keays, ANB and Pedlar who can go in there.

With that list, pick 4 might even struggle to get decent midfield time, especially as Godden likes to give his favourite top up players time in the middle.

Ideally we move on a couple of the guys listed above (and get rid of Godden).

Honestly? I think it'll be the younger guys at first. Nankervis, Dowling, Berry. They want the age profile/experience level up.

Crouch out of contract next year, Laird no longer seen as a 1st choice mid and still ? on Pedlar. Lose Berry and miss out on Peatling and you're potentially looking a bit thin in 12 months time in that role.

You can lock down an asset and then re-asses in 12 months time if you want to move them. If Berry isn't getting games he'll probably look elsewhere too.
Its more about the list spots now though, locking Berry away means we are tighter on places and we could have held fire on berry and waited until we were past the point of knowing if Peatling was an option

I think we've got too much quantity, not enough quality with our mids.

Laird, Crouch, Dawson, Rankine, Soligo, Berry, Taylor, Dowling, Curtin, Edwards and Schoenberg, plus Keays, ANB and Pedlar who can go in there.

With that list, pick 4 might even struggle to get decent midfield time, especially as Godden likes to give his favourite top up players time in the middle.

Ideally we move on a couple of the guys listed above (and get rid of Godden).
Of that list of names id take Peatling ahead of Laird, Crouch (long term), Berry and Harry, probably Dowling too sadly enough. Pedlar to me is a wait and see, very important year for him. Edwards id love to see in the seniors early next season. He has some traits we lack.

I think we'll find a spot for Pick 4 in the seniors somewhere too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we bring in Cumming ANB and Peatling, they all improve our 22? Who goes out?

Cumming-Smith or Laird
ANB-Murphy
Peatling-Berry?
The million dollar question!

We could build an exciting, balanced team.

So port may have an uphill battle to trade their f1 for Lukosius. How about this trade then😉

Houston to St Kilda
Crows pick 4 to Port
Phillipou to Crows

Or it could be

Houston + pick 4 to saints
Phillipou to crows
Pick 8 + f2 to Port

F1 or nope.

Problem is we are trying to build a ferrari but having it driven by a pedal prix driver
The coaches need to accept that there is no reason to go backwards. There is nothing in our recent past worth clinging to.

Murphy small forward
Laird midfield
Smith rebounding defender
Milera in any role

All have either had their time or never quite made their mark.

Moving on from them however will mean that our 22 is very young (again) so I worry we'll try to squeeze all those guys above in and it will be the likes of Dowling, Taylor, Nankervis, Curtin, Pick 4 who miss out.

Do our coaches see ANB, Cumming and hopefully Peatling as replacements for under-performing mature-agers who lack leadership

Or do they see this as an opportunity to boost the age and experience of our 22?

Agree, not sure why we had to rush to sign him. He may have had interest from other sides during trade period.

Can see him spending a fair bit of time in the SANFL next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back