Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 29
  • Rumor suggests we are into James Peatling with some unknown factor that could work in our favour
  • Rumor suggests we will make a senior assistant coach announcement this week which isn't Brett Montgomery (link)
  • Forum rumor suggests Elliott Himmelberg will do a medical with GWS (link)

Last edited:
Johnson said Geelong would miss finals this year, Melbourne would make finals, Port and Sydney would go out in straight sets, GWS would make the GF, yet they're the straight setter.

There was another one I forgot, the guys were getting into him about on Fox.
Does he also rate Nicks?

LOL..we can make fun of them about things but their eagerness to try and improve their list you can't. We all know they invested heavily into their midfield and have essentially tried to trade in forwards and defenders to complete the list for a tilt at the flag. They finished 2nd after the minor round and made a prelim where they went down by 6 goals away having to play a cooked Dixon and missing their premier half backs and with a banged up Butters. Lukosius will come in and he will be better than any of their forwards they currently have. They may get Perryman who will help across half back. They are not far away and will get a decent return for shipping Houston that will allow them to both hit the draft in the 1st round this year and get Lukosius you would think.

Others might want to dig at them on their sometimes hit and sometimes miss recruitment, but they certainly get creative trying to improve their list which was a few injured players from a grand final. I hope that things don't work out for them..but it won't be for lack of trying.

lol - Perryman will join the Pies - bookmark it, and is not looking for a club to play HB

Luko kicked 23 goals this year and they will over pay In a contract and trade.

Houston will be a much bigger loss, than Luko is a gain.

Champion Data re-ranked everyone’s fixture and Port a top 4 team of 2023 ended with the easiest fixture of 2024

They are in serious threat of missing the 8 in 2025

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok, what will Jenny's news be?
Closest gets a Lachlan Murphy highlights package.

It's a loop of him letting Dawson take the Showdown kick after the siren.
Balme is confirmed.

I try to keep as central as I can. Nicks has his issues for sure, but I don't see everything being his fault as many do.

I also do know we are young and a lot of our improvement will come from players improving and maturing. Some think we're only going to improve if we bring new players in.

All of our young players have barely scratched the surface yet with learning the ropes of AFL, let alone turning into hardened, experienced teams like Brisbane etc.

The question is if our current setup, development, football dept etc has what it takes to get the high level out of these players and bring them on properly..
I dont need help

I dont need help

I really dont need help

You need help

OK give me some junior burgers I can mentor

You need more help

No

Yes you do

Youre getting help

OK

We dont need you any more

Ports list management woes started last year .....they're in for the quick fix, so they essentially took who was available

Now they're stuck with list cloggers on good money and long contracts

I agree with the boys here on SEN ....a very real possibility Port don't play Finals next year
I think Port and Sydney drop out.

Freo a certainty to come in. The other spot is up for grabs.

Wanna bet !

GEEL missed Finals last year .....COLL this year ....and both Clubs have more star players than Port

It doesn't take much to lose ground .....DEF is weak, FWD line, who?

Our list will be so much healthier & deeper next year, with the added experience and returning personnel
You've picked two sides that I think have less superstars than Port.

You've said this a few times .....weren't we still up amongst the best FWD lines in 2024 ? ......that doesn't happen with slow ball movement

Our problem was losing too many CBA's ....and having to start attacks from HB, without a recognised QB-HBF

I think you're confusing gameplan with a weakness in our midfield .....Soligo was dead on his legs the last 6 games, Rankine suspended / injured .....Dawson plugging holes around the ground

You also forget, we went into experimental mode once Finals were out of contention
I agree that we were losing a lot of CBA's, our clearance differential was bad this year. But firstly some forward-line facts (most of which are likely the result of poor entries, or general break-down of ball movement) - this year, we were:
  • 15th for shots at goal per game
  • 9th for scoring shots per inside 50
  • 11th for goals per game
  • 13th for points scored from stoppages
  • 13th for points scored from turnover
  • 13th for marks inside 50
Having watched the best teams (such as yesterday, for instance), one of the common factors is that they have a fluidity to the way they move the ball, whenever possible - a player gets an easy read of a 50/50 ball, dishes out to a runner (who is given the option to pass to a couple of other running mates if need), leading to a F50 entry where the defence is more likely to be unprepared. Either that, or they have multiple contested marking targets across the ground, if forced to constantly kick to contest

This is why I was so big on getting Cumming - he's a runner, and a very good kick. He'd fit like a glove in that Brisbane side from yesterday

A lot of guys that we have at the moment either aren't aggressive enough, or precise enough with the way they look to move the ball on. If Nicks is serious as a coach, he needs to throw anyone who has a tendency to slow the game down, no matter what the situation, to the wayside, and work to develop a gameplan around the more aggressive ball-users (by hand, or by foot) on the list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Port and Sydney drop out.

Freo a certainty to come in. The other spot is up for grabs.
I'd agree on FREO coming in, they look pretty balanced .....thoughts on COLL ? .....MELB will struggle

I try to keep as central as I can. Nicks has his issues for sure, but I don't see everything being his fault as many do.

I also do know we are young and a lot of our improvement will come from players improving and maturing. Some think we're only going to improve if we bring new players in.

All of our young players have barely scratched the surface yet with learning the ropes of AFL, let alone turning into hardened, experienced teams like Brisbane etc.

The question is if our current setup, development, football dept etc has what it takes to get the high level out of these players and bring them on properly..
I think this is a very rational view.

Read the part about he has his issues.
Many of them.

And the last part.
I'm no supporter of his.

Sometimes things get out of hand though and the coach gets blamed for global warming. It also doesn't help in the fight against him.

Also coach gets targeted, thrown out, rinse, repeat. We have issues deeper in the core than just churning coaches.
Coaches get too much credit for success and too much blame for failure.

Ok. So I’m in the car charging my phone…. Im not sure if I should say specifics. However, there are general things I can confirm. We are targeting the player we’ve heard about in recent days. There is a significant factor that could influence him to come here however it’s not a foregone conclusion. The other thing is related to our senior assistant coach appointment which should be announced this week.

Ok. So I’m in the car charging my phone…. Im not sure if I should say specifics. However, there are general things I can confirm. We are targeting the player we’ve heard about in recent days. There is a significant factor that could influence him to come here however it’s not a foregone conclusion. The other thing is related to our senior assistant coach appointment which should be announced this week.
Peatling and Montgomery?

So Peatling and Montgomery

Will PM you something re: Peatling

Peatling?
Bartel/Monty?

Having watched the best teams (such as yesterday, for instance), one of the common factors is that they have a fluidity to the way they move the ball, whenever possible - a player gets an easy read of a 50/50 ball, dishes out to a runner (who is given the option to pass to a couple of other running mates if need), leading to a F50 entry where the defence is more likely to be unprepared. Either that, or they have multiple contested marking targets across the ground, if forced to constantly kick to contest
You're talking about two very mature teams yesterday, whose players have played a lot of games together and know each others habits

You can't compare our inexperienced list, and a merry-go-round of players thru the side ....connectivity takes time & playing 42 players on our list isn't giving you that ......in fact at the Byes, we only had 9 players to have played every game to that point .....that's the impact of injuries

IIRC SYD had 16 players to the Bye, to have played every game

1727594200521.gif

So our assistant is locked in.

The other factor feels like Bartel in some role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back