Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 82.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best way for Max to learn is play him on the best. Greene was the only player who has really go hold of him in his debut year, so give him another crack.

Jones has locked down ok this year, just lost most of his offensive drive... so give him a role on Kelly.
Haven’t taken notice the last game or so but according to champion data a week or so ago Greene was the worst one on one player this year, from 18 one on one contests he hadn’t won one, unbelievable.

Haven’t taken notice the last game or so but according to champion data a week or so ago Greene was the worst one on one player this year, from 18 one on one contests he hadn’t won one, unbelievable.
Something wrong with him this year as a shadow of his AA year last season.

Perhaps we can get him back on track...

MM is a midfielder in the making, I want him in an area of the ground where he will be most valuable. It's the one move Nicks has made this year that I actually like.
I don't like it without any training. And he's not built physically yet to do it.
So I'm not a fan.

Can he be? I don't know. He hasn't showed it to date in his junior and senior career, so he'd have to learn a lot.

If we have Soligo, Rankine, Dawson, 2024 first pick, Pedlar, Rachele, Edwards, Nankervis all running around the midfield in a couple of years I'd be mindful of not robbing our defence of a potential all Australian defender if we can put together a top 8 midfield as per above.

I don't like it without any training. And he's not built physically yet to do it.
So I'm not a fan.

Can he be? I don't know. He hasn't showed it to date in his junior and senior career, so he'd have to learn a lot.

If we have Soligo, Rankine, Dawson, 2024 first pick, Pedlar, Rachele, Edwards, Nankervis all running around the midfield in a couple of years I'd be mindful of not robbing our defence of a potential all Australian defender if we can put together a top 8 midfield as per above.
We simply don't have room in our defence for all of Butts, Keane, Murray, Worrell, MM and Curtin. It's not a problem right now, with Worrell injured and Curtin still learning the ropes, but it is the picture we're looking at in the not-too-distant future.

If Max has the ability to play in the midfield, then doing so frees up a position for one of our other quality talls - we'd have room for Worrell, Curtin & MM, which we don't currently have.

I don't know if MM will make it as a midfielder, but there's a lot to gain - and very little to be lost right now - in giving it a go.

We simply don't have room in our defence for all of Butts, Keane, Murray, Worrell, MM and Curtin. It's not a problem right now, with Worrell injured and Curtin still learning the ropes, but it is the picture we're looking at in the not-too-distant future.

If Max has the ability to play in the midfield, then doing so frees up a position for one of our other quality talls - we'd have room for Worrell, Curtin & MM, which we don't currently have.

I don't know if MM will make it as a midfielder, but there's a lot to gain - and very little to be lost right now - in giving it a go.
Curtin is the more natural midfielder.

MM is one who does not seem a mid to me. As someone else said previously, he seems way more comfortable reading the play with the ball coming toward him.

Weirdly, I reckon in order of preference I would play MM in defence, then forward, then mid last.

Curtin is the more natural midfielder.
Who was drafted as a defender, and who has spent his whole junior career playing as a defender. I get that BF wants to turn him into a midfielder, but in all likelihood that's not going to happen. BF sees him as a future midfielder, the club clearly sees him as a defender.

MM is more advanced in his development, thus they have the flexibility to experiment with him more at AFL level right now. Maybe we'll be having this discussion about Curtin in the future, but for now the question is whether or not MM can be effective in the midfield, freeing up a position for Curtin in defence.
MM is one who does not seem a mid to me. As someone else said previously, he seems way more comfortable reading the play with the ball coming toward him.

Weirdly, I reckon in order of preference I would play MM in defence, then forward, then mid last.
I think they're experimenting, to see what he's capable of. We've also seen Borlase moved forward, with mixed success (decent marking, horrible goal kicking). If MM proves to be a competent midfielder then that's a bonus, and we can expect to see more of it. If the experiment fails, we haven't really lost anything, given that our season is already shot.

They know that we have a surplus of AFL-standard tall defenders, so now they're trying to find the optimal way of fitting them all into the side.

There's no way we pick Butts, Keane, Worrell and Murray in the same team though. Worrell and then pick 2.
Max would be the fourth defender playing half back providing dash whilst also being a top end intercept defender.
Then the 5th and 6th choice players probably become Hinge and Milera/Laird/Jones.

There's no way we pick Butts, Keane, Worrell and Murray in the same team though. Worrell and then pick 2.
Max would be the fourth defender playing half back providing dash whilst also being a top end intercept defender.
Then the 5th and 6th choice players probably become Hinge and Milera/Laird/Jones.
Totaly agree re Max. He is going to be a very high end medium defender that can also play on the best smalls for us for the next decade - absolute class act in the mould of Ben Hart. I would be looking at building that defence around him, Murray and Worrell. We simply have to be getting in a top end mid in the draft at seasons end and we have to hope Edwards and Taylor get their chance to show what they can do next year. But I am loathe to move Max from defence to Midfield for what he brings to our defensive structures

The reason i didn't like Max in the midfield was the week before he had just about 1 of his best games in defense. Against the Tigers he intercepted and provided a stack of run getting alot of the ball. Why change that against the top team to try the unknown of playing him in the midfield.
I have no problem if they see him a a future mid but wrong game to do it.

MM is a midfielder in the making, I want him in an area of the ground where he will be most valuable. It's the one move Nicks has made this year that I actually like.
I don't particularly like it, for mine he was just starting to add serious offence/attack to his half back role already having the defensive side of his game down pat. Half back is where most forward attacks seem to start in modern football hence why we chased Mason Redman hard with Smith coming to the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he? Seeing as he was a defender in all his draft profiles and has been a defender (and a bloody good one) in his short AFL career.

Why not try drafting midfielders and play them in midfield? Rather than try to make midfielders out of defenders?

I don't particularly like it, for mine he was just starting to add serious offence/attack to his half back role already having the defensive side of his game down pat. Half back is where most forward attacks seem to start in modern football hence why we chased Mason Redman hard with Smith coming to the end.
Our issues aren't Max at half back, it's having a midfield to stop it coming his way 60 plus times a game.

Is he? Seeing as he was a defender in all his draft profiles and has been a defender (and a bloody good one) in his short AFL career.

Why not try drafting midfielders and play them in midfield? Rather than try to make midfielders out of defenders?
He has played some midfield in juniors, just like Curtin. I can see a midfielder in him, but he need a full pre season training there to start seeing consistent results.

While he’s a gun down back, to me it’s a far easier position to draft or trade for than a tall, attacking mid.

Once Worrell is back I think we are well and truly covered down there, so with the season shot let’s see if there’s a genuine midfielder in MM.

I think it's one of Butts/Keane, plus Murray and Worrell. However, the surplus of tall defenders means that we have the "luxury" (necessity) of trialing them in other positions around the ground. We have a shortage of AFL-standard tall forwards, really just Fog & TT, so any flexibility they identify could be very useful.

I agree that it's Butts/Keane, plus Murray, Worrell & Michelanney. The problem is that they'll eventually want to add Curtin to that mix. The best way of doing that is to find an alternative position for one of the other tall defenders - whether that's playing as a tall midfielder, or as a tall forward, is the object of this experiment.

Who was drafted as a defender, and who has spent his whole junior career playing as a defender. I get that BF wants to turn him into a midfielder, but in all likelihood that's not going to happen. BF sees him as a future midfielder, the club clearly sees him as a defender.
Wrong!!

Played plenty of midfield.

FIRST-ROUND draft prospect Daniel Curtin is looking to Fremantle legend Matthew Pavlich for inspiration as he prepares to begin his eagerly-anticipated AFL career.

Curtin grew up playing as a midfielder but has transformed into an exciting utility courtesy of a growth spurt that boosted his height to a key-position 195cm.

Pavlich, who stood at 192cm, was a six-time All-Australian, dominating as a full-back, goal-kicking midfielder and damaging key forward at different stages across a decorated career.

"I really like having that flexibility to be able to go to a few different positions," Curtin told Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio.

"Junior footy, I played a lot of midfield, but had a bit of a growth spurt around year 11 and turned into more of a key position.

Wrong!!

FIRST-ROUND draft prospect Daniel Curtin is looking to Fremantle legend Matthew Pavlich for inspiration as he prepares to begin his eagerly-anticipated AFL career.

Curtin grew up playing as a midfielder but has transformed into an exciting utility courtesy of a growth spurt that boosted his height to a key-position 195cm.

Pavlich, who stood at 192cm, was a six-time All-Australian, dominating as a full-back, goal-kicking midfielder and damaging key forward at different stages across a decorated career.

"I really like having that flexibility to be able to go to a few different positions," Curtin told Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio.

"Junior footy, I played a lot of midfield, but had a bit of a growth spurt around year 11 and turned into more of a key position.
Everyone in Footy sees Curtin as a mid, it is why he was so highly rated for most of last year. I guess the reason for dropping to pick 8 is his height, and the reality he will never be a KPD.

Only our coaches think defender.

If he was a few CM shorter, would have gone pick 2 and played ever game as a mid. Like Reid.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wrong!!

My recollection is that this is exactly what happened to Cripps too but they kept him in the middle after growing.

Agree with this, we have guys on our list who were drafted as midfielders who can't get a shot in the middle already. How about we give guys like Dowling, Pedlar, Rachele & Taylor a go in the midfield before we try and move one of our best defenders in there.

Max may well end up a good mid, be he could also end up one of the best mid sized defenders in the comp. You need stars all over the ground if you are going to push for a flag. We have found a very good defender in Max who could hold down that spot for 10 years, lets leave him there and actually try and find some quality mids to fix that problem.

MM is more advanced in his development, thus they have the flexibility to experiment with him more at AFL level right now. Maybe we'll be having this discussion about Curtin in the future, but for now the question is whether or not MM can be effective in the midfield, freeing up a position for Curtin in defence.

I think they're experimenting, to see what he's capable of. We've also seen Borlase moved forward, with mixed success (decent marking, horrible goal kicking). If MM proves to be a competent midfielder then that's a bonus, and we can expect to see more of it. If the experiment fails, we haven't really lost anything, given that our season is already shot.

They know that we have a surplus of AFL-standard tall defenders, so now they're trying to find the optimal way of fitting them all into the side.
Sorry to pipe in but curtin did not spend his entire junior career as a defender. Has played a significant amount of time forward and on ball.

Who knows what the clubs sees in his future but it is defence for now.

The reason i didn't like Max in the midfield was the week before he had just about 1 of his best games in defense. Against the Tigers he intercepted and provided a stack of run getting alot of the ball. Why change that against the top team to try the unknown of playing him in the midfield.
I have no problem if they see him a a future mid but wrong game to do it.
It's a good call. I'm all for stretching our young players and seeing what they are capable of, but we're doing it in a way that risks (and in some cases already has) destroying the confidence of the player. Look at what we've done to Peds - his trajectory completely changed after that ridonculously bad decision to play him on Stewart.

It's a good call. I'm all for stretching our young players and seeing what they are capable of, but we're doing it in a way that risks (and in some cases already has) destroying the confidence of the player. Look at what we've done to Peds - his trajectory completely changed after that ridonculously bad decision to play him on Stewart.
It almost feels like Nicks 100% blamed him for the move failing and completely wrote him off after that failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back