VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Collard is either amazing or completely unsighted.

Needs to lift his poor games and that in turn will bring more consistency. Once that clicks he won't be playing state league footy anymore.

His body looks much improved than when he was drafted.

For someone like him I think he's done very well to even be playing regular senior state league footy.

who tf do we draft out of sandy

Hopefully after the draft, a heap of talented VFL players look at the spud we drafted and think....hmmmm i could do better than that donkey, i'ma gonnna go play for Sandy.

It's frustrating but Collard was always a massive wait and see. He's had some moments at VFL level but can absolutely disappear.

I reckon we'll find out more next year. Hopefully he can have a huge off-season and take the season by storm.

Nah, he’s just a skinny kid.

Didn't see all of the game but he had a couple of half arsed chases that were a bit disappointing while I watched. Looked half interested. Without watching enough to say that was his whole game, the stream dropping out might have highlighted his lowlights.

Its good we now get advanced stats for the VFL.

Heath 14 contested possessions. ( Fort 13 ).
Garcia 12 contested possessions.
Phillipou, Hipwell, and Hall 10 contested possessions.

Titanic the only Zeb to get two contested marks, multiple Lions including the mysterious SHADOW BRAIN.
They smashed us in intercept possessions , both Joyce and SHADOW BRAIN having an impact .
Pou had the most inside 50s of anyone on the ground, and Garcia not so shabby either.

The disposal efficiency list is , with a few exceptions, basically them on top, us underneath. Macpherson 100% Seaton 90% then 7 lions including Shadow Brain doing better than Paton's 80%.
then 5 lions better than Membrey's 75%.

AFL fantasy points is a crap way to rate players, but i'm doing it anywaay.
Collard 18
Allison 23
Hotten 23 Delist the latter two.
Lions had 6 players score over 100. We had none.
We had Byrnes, Phillipou, Hall and Heath score more than 90.
Lions had 3 players including SHADOW BRAIN.

I still think Shadow Brain should be a villain in the next spider man movie.

Watched about 3 qtrs

Maxy Hall - super impressive. Think he’ll debut soon. Just clean and strong. Can see why he was picked.

Pou - imo that’s his best game since his u18 days. Most importantly he seemed to make much better decisions. He also started to use his run to get in and out of stoppages. The goal a perfect example of that. He just took a few more steps and settled.

Still a few clearances that he just hacked away but performed much better.
He also looked to attack in the air a bit more. Hope he cracks 30 next time. Also would love for him to still get some easier marks but much improved.

Heath - I wonder if the club will keep him over TC.

Coops - started strong and then went a bit quiet. He’s too good for the level. Hope he cracks back in.

Occonel - quiet game but still bring hardness every game. Think he could be a decent defensive option.

Allison - tried in defence. Meh

Hotton - struggled

Byrnes - much better this week. Still 23-25th player.

Lance - quiet but that’s about right limited ops

Hastie - really like Hastie. He sees time and space very very well. Looking forward to seeing him develop

Hugo - Hugo is Hugo. Tough and contested. Like Pou would love to see him develop his uncontested game.

Pato same same

Gus - really like Gus and think in a different world he would’ve played already. He’s a great interceptor and a tough matchup. Disposal can be hit and miss.

Its good we now get advanced stats for the VFL.

Heath 14 contested possessions. ( Fort 13 ).
Garcia 12 contested possessions.
Phillipou, Hipwell, and Hall 10 contested possessions.

Titanic the only Zeb to get two contested marks, multiple Lions including the mysterious SHADOW BRAIN.
They smashed us in intercept possessions , both Joyce and SHADOW BRAIN having an impact .
Pou had the most inside 50s of anyone on the ground, and Garcia not so shabby either.

The disposal efficiency list is , with a few exceptions, basically them on top, us underneath. Macpherson 100% Seaton 90% then 7 lions including Shadow Brain doing better than Paton's 80%.
then 5 lions better than Membrey's 75%.

AFL fantasy points is a crap way to rate players, but i'm doing it anywaay.
Collard 18
Allison 23
Hotten 23 Delist the latter two.
Lions had 6 players score over 100. We had none.
We had Byrnes, Phillipou, Hall and Heath score more than 90.
Lions had 3 players including SHADOW BRAIN.

I still think Shadow Brain should be a villain in the next spider man movie.

They use the ball like an AFL team. We looked messy. They run out into space and hit up their kicks while we scrap it all out. I think part of it is that they have a side like Melbourne where they have a side made up of good kids and older depth players for a side in challenge mode.

I was keen to see Jarred Lyons and see if he had anything left. He didn't get much of it but looks like a pro player still Probably not worth chasing. Shadeau Brain actually looked pretty good from the bit I saw. Irish was good for them yesterday. He's playing the best he's ever played and he was always a very good VFL player.

Watched about 3 qtrs

Maxy Hall - super impressive. Think he’ll debut soon. Just clean and strong. Can see why he was picked.

Pou - imo that’s his best game since his u18 days. Most importantly he seemed to make much better decisions. He also started to use his run to get in and out of stoppages. The goal a perfect example of that. He just took a few more steps and settled.

Still a few clearances that he just hacked away but performed much better.
He also looked to attack in the air a bit more. Hope he cracks 30 next time. Also would love for him to still get some easier marks but much improved.

Heath - I wonder if the club will keep him over TC.

Coops - started strong and then went a bit quiet. He’s too good for the level. Hope he cracks back in.

Occonel - quiet game but still bring hardness every game. Think he could be a decent defensive option.

Allison - tried in defence. Meh

Hotton - struggled

Byrnes - much better this week. Still 23-25th player.

Lance - quiet but that’s about right limited ops

Hastie - really like Hastie. He sees time and space very very well. Looking forward to seeing him develop

Hugo - Hugo is Hugo. Tough and contested. Like Pou would love to see him develop his uncontested game.

Pato same same

Gus - really like Gus and think in a different world he would’ve played already. He’s a great interceptor and a tough matchup. Disposal can be hit and miss.

Byrnes was good agree probably just off the peloton. Heath and Campbell will be an interesting call. I'd keep both if we can't attract another ruck. Campbell is way too good for VFL and unlucky not to have played 100 more games. In another era he's a gun. Heath is developing which is exactly what you need form a young ruck.

I really like Garcia. He's a Geary type who just works this arse off. He lacks a bit of polish which might come with age but he won't fail due to lack of effort. If you could put his attitude into Collard you'd have the best small forward in the league.

Get Fitzroy and for a brief moment Saints player Grant Lawrie vibes about Hastie.
Lean, tallish, moves well and kicks well.
If he becomes that hellooo....

Still see Pou as a George Young lookalike. GY started on a flank bulked up a bit moved to FF.

Garcia hopefully becomes a Taylor Adams type....in and under and tackles anything that moves with an opposition jumper.

Ari see similarities with Swans Mark Bayes.

NAS is a younger version of Hill but who tackles as well.

Wilson the 21st century version of Robbie Flower....just to quick for many of that era. Keith Greig is another, Darcy not as good of the left as those two. Gerard Healy perhaps.

There's a bit to like about this year's and last years debutants.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously what AFL club makes an agreement to draft a player from a specific club each season. Let alone a club that has average local talent. What a stupid agreement

Hopefully after the draft, a heap of talented VFL players look at the spud we drafted and think....hmmmm i could do better than that donkey, i'ma gonnna go play for Sandy.
I'm with SS. This is an attempt to create a stronger alignment. I absolutely think it's worth trialling for three years to see if we start to attract more wannabe AFL players. We certainly should be trying absolutely everything to make Sandy stronger, and this is worth a shot. It's not surprising that it hasn't yet yielded dividends. It will take a while, but actually rookie-ing the first player this off season should prove that we're following through.

They use the ball like an AFL team.
From what I could see from the sketchy broadcast, effectively Brisbane have a second AFL team in the 2nds. The AFL have been pushing the Northern development so hard they now have overdone it. It's time to completely redo the draft so that teams that have had a talent drought can now access better talent. Not like last year when North just got an excessively generous handout, but something that redresses the imbalance. Maybe any team that doesn't get in the 8 gets a second first round pick before the rest?

From what I could see from the sketchy broadcast, effectively Brisbane have a second AFL team in the 2nds. The AFL have been pushing the Northern development so hard they now have overdone it. It's time to completely redo the draft so that teams that have had a talent drought can now access better talent. Not like last year when North just got an excessively generous handout, but something that redresses the imbalance. Maybe any team that doesn't get in the 8 gets a second first round pick before the rest?
and look at the result of that excessively generous handout at Marvel today. The wooden spooner spanking the premiership team.

Good idea. Has merit.

Still see Pou as a George Young lookalike. GY started on a flank bulked up a bit moved to FF.

A key reason George moved to FF was that he injured his knee.

However I have posted for a while that I think Pou will be a better player once he bulks/strengthens up. He is still very boyish in body.

Last edited:
How are people feeling about Pou's future as a mid? We really need him to become an A grader, is he following a path that others have gone on to become a gun?

Didn't catch the Brisbane VFL game, his numbers look good, keen to hear everyone's thoughts.

How are people feeling about Pou's future as a mid? We really need him to become an A grader, is he following a path that others have gone on to become a gun?

Didn't catch the Brisbane VFL game, his numbers look good, keen to hear everyone's thoughts.
His best game I’ve seen from him since joining the club. Much more composed around the ball. Was able to drive his legs and looked much more like he did during his u18 games. His marking also looked better.

Overall still needs to improve his work around stoppages, as there were a few hack kicks. Overall definitely improving. I’d say he’s following a simmilar trajectory to wi du last year. We see how well windy has done. So overall yes he’s showing a lot. His tackling has also stepped up this year imo. It’s a matter of time. Would love to see him get over 30 too think it will just be massive mentally.

EDIT
His clearance/ tackle numbers since playing VFL are
5, 9
5. 3
7, 13
1, 8
8, 4

Can see he is just finding the right balance.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back