VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is way ahead of L Rankin.
censorship GIF

Good, and much needed, win against a depleted Bulldogs outfit. I thought we defended pretty well - good pressure and tackling. However we didn't move the ball crisply like our senior team does. Lots of missed handballs, poor kicks, fumbles etc.

Our KPPs were great. Francis (clearly our best player in this game), Edwards and Snell are owning the backline. Hamling is killing it forward (19 goals from 5 games playing forward). Total ruck dominance. (Former Swan Cameron Owen playing for the Bulldogs didn't make much impression, apart from kicking 2 goals).

Corey Warner had a good return from injury. Ben Edwards has been a beast all year - our best VFL listed addition (maybe even our best VFL-listed player?). Mitchell was good, especially that goal in the first.

Cleary, Kirk and Konstanty were ok but nothing more.

Konstanty is a good player at VFL level but not a star like other AFL listed players with a couple of seasons under their belt (to be fair it's only his second season and he was injured last year). Gets a fair amount of ball, gets a few goals, tackles and applies pressure. But not enough of any of them to get excited about. Am I being too hard on him? It was frustrating when he and Hamling twice combined for great goal scoring opportunities and stuffed them both. The first time Hamling kicked inside 50 beautifully to Konstanty's advantage. Konstanty pounced but (in large part due to outstanding pressure from Dogs defender Lewis) stuffed up the chance to get a goal which I would have thought would be his bread and butter. A while later Konstanty returned the favour and kicked to Hamling close to goal. Hamling picked up the ball pretty well but it was just slightly in the wrong place and in the rush to steady he muffed the shot. Great ball use by the kicker on both occasions but the skills execution was slightly off and they paid the price.

Vickery wasn't as good as the week before and was mostly anonymous.

Solid game from Hanily.

Apart from B. Edwards, I like Geddes and Bartholomaeus from our VFL listed players. Hamish Morrison's highlight was his only tackle - a beauty, very late in the 3rd quarter.

After a good season last year I feel like Lachie McAndrew isn't really progressing. He's a good tap ruckman. He's a good tackler. He can mark the ball, but not reliably. His ball skills are horrible. Can't kick well and even his handballs are underwhelming.

Ladhams is mercurial. And he doesn't seem that committed to being a good AFL footballer and ironing out the unevenness in his game. However, he is someone we could call on if Grundy was injured. Has great ball skills and throws his weight around mostly helpfully in the midfield.

Lugsdin was disappointingly quiet. Maybe he needs another week off?

Here's hoping we can beat GWS this week and consolidate our place in the top 10. If we do, and the Zebras (the only other team on a half a win, like us - they also drew with the Suns) lose, we could leapfrog them on percentage (which would be handy given they are the only other team whose percentage we need to worry about at this stage). Otherwise we play the Zebras away on 7 July and that will be a super-important game for our finals chances.

Last edited:
Good, and much needed, win against a depleted Bulldogs outfit. I thought we defended pretty well - good pressure and tackling. However we didn't move the ball crisply like our senior team does. Lots of missed handballs, poor kicks, fumbles etc.

Our KPPs were great. Francis (clearly our best player in this game), Edwards and Snell are owning the backline. Hamling is killing it forward (19 goals from 5 games playing forward). Total ruck dominance. (Former Swan Cameron Owen playing for the Bulldogs didn't make much impression, apart from kicking 2 goals).

Corey Warner had a good return from injury. Ben Edwards has been a beast all year - our best VFL listed addition (maybe even our best VFL-listed player?). Mitchell was good, especially that goal in the first.

Konstanty is a good player at VFL level but not a star like other AFL listed players with a couple of seasons under their belt (to be fair it's only his second season and he was injured last year). Gets a fair amount of ball, gets a few goals, tackles and applies pressure. But not enough of any of them to get excited about. Am I being too hard on him? It was frustrating when he and Hamling twice combined for great goal scoring opportunities and stuffed them both. The first time Hamling kicked inside 50 beautifully to Konstanty's advantage. Konstanty pounced but (in large part due to outstanding pressure from Dogs defender Lewis) stuffed up the chance to get a goal which I would have thought would be his bread and butter. A while later Konstanty returned the favour and kicked to Hamling close to goal. Hamling picked up the ball pretty well but it was just slightly in the wrong place and in the rush to steady he muffed the shot. Great ball use by the kicker on both occasions but the skills execution was slightly off and they paid the price.

Solid game from Hanily.

Apart from B. Edwards, I like Geddes and Bartholomaeus from our VFL listed players. Hamish Morrison's highlight was his only tackle - a beauty, very late in the 3rd quarter.

After a good season last year I feel like Lachie McAndrew isn't really progressing. He's a good tap ruckman. He's a good tackler. He can mark the ball, but not reliably. His ball skills are horrible. Can't kick well and even his handballs are underwhelming.

Ladhams is mercurial. And he doesn't seem that committed to being a good AFL footballer and ironing out the unevenness in his game. However, he is someone we could call on if Grundy was injured. Has great ball skills and throws his weight around mostly helpfully in the midfield.

Here's hoping we can beat GWS this week and consolidate our place in the top 10. If we do, and the Zebras (the only other team on a half a win, like us - they also drew with the Suns) lose, we could leapfrog them on percentage (which would be handy given they are the only other team whose percentage we need to worry about at this stage). Otherwise we play the Zebras away on 7 July and that will be a super-important game for our finals chances.
Should beat GWS as they battled to beat a disappointing Port

Solid game from Hanily.

Nice summary Callipygian

I have to say, I’m becoming a real Ben Edwards fan. He’s certainly not losing anything in comparison to the AFL listed mids.

Sadly, I do agree with regards McAndrew - his progress looks to have stalled, as some fundamental skills are letting him down.

Solid game from Hanily.

Quality summary of where players are. Would add only that

• Magor was again very handy, hope he is recontracted
  • I hope we encourage Ladhams to look elsewhere end of the year
  • Vickery and Konstanty are up for delisting or trade
  • Kirk needs to show more
  • Green shows good skills and toughness

I haven't watched much VFL this season. If you could only keep one as back-up to Grundy next year would you prefer McAndrew or Ladhams? Based primarily on their form/development this season.

Also, with Green impressing you, would you think that say halfway into next season, he would be a viable ruck back--up for Grundy? or would still be too early for him?

Ladhams contracted next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't watched much VFL this season. If you could only keep one as back-up to Grundy next year would you prefer McAndrew or Ladhams? Based primarily on their form/development this season.

Also, with Green impressing you, would you think that say halfway into next season, he would be a viable ruck back--up for Grundy? or would still be too early for him?
I know you didn't ask me but I'll answer anyway.
McAndrew is a reasonable ruck but appears to be reaching the limit of his other skills. He is OOC this year
Ladhams is stronger and more skilful but something of a loose cannon. For more than a game or two he is the better bet for seniors.
Green is showing well but is still skinny. Hard to say how fast his development will progress. Halfway through next year? Big ask. 2026 maybe.
My guess is that we'll offer McAndrew one year or bite the bullet and delist him. My choice would be the one year, then at the end of next season delist either him or Ladhams. By then Green should be OK to ruck VFL if necessary.
Both Buller and Edwards are handy cutouts

Prefer Big Mac. Better at the contest than Ladhams and a much better tap ruck. Had a hand injury which held him back early in the season.

Green would need a massive off season to put on the kegs. I would be happy if he gets more time in the ruck in the 2s next year.

Prefer Big Mac. Better at the contest than Ladhams and a much better tap ruck. Had a hand injury which held him back early in the season.

Green would need a massive off season to put on the kegs. I would be happy if he gets more time in the ruck in the 2s next year.
Fair point of view. Bit of Sophie's choice. Green 2026 after the additional preseason should be up to VFL. To me he looks a great draft choice.

McAndrew, if recontracted for next season, does need to be elevated onto a senior list that looks tight for spots.

I agree with others' observations that he's not shown much progress this year, but there's still a couple of months to play out. I'd be taking a wait-and-see approach to him. If the club wants to retain an extra ruck on the list next season and McAndrew is less effort than seeking out a mature ruck from elsewhere, I'd delist him and pick him up again in the rookie draft. There's a pretty low risk of another club stepping in to steal him, IMO.

I don't want to bash him as I firmly believe you can never write someone off if they haven't played a game (see: Dane Rampe.)

But... Cooper Vickery has been underwhelming so far.

For a pick 27, I'm yet to really see anything that justified our interest in him. There's no stand-out attribute really. And not in a George Hewett-esque "does the basics really well" kinda way. More just a, "What's he doing?" kinda way.

That's pretty much the question I keep finding myself asking when I watch him play. What's he actually doing for us? What's his role or the quality that possessed Beatson & co to think "we HAVE to have that kid!"?

He does an okay job in that small defender, shutdown role, but doesn't exactly have any real big wins in that aspect. He doesn't look that quick or athletic or skilful whenever he's been up around the ball.

He was a name that was virtually anonymous when announced on draft night, and the assumption was he'd follow in the footsteps of so many other Beatson picked that would end up proving their pre-draft anonymity wrong by being revelations. I don't see even any indication of that being the case with Vickery at this stage. Instead he completely looks the part of someone who wasn't factoring in many people's draft conversations.

It's very puzzling. Hope he can show something and come good.

Some excellent comments people.

I can add that from my point of view the VFL back line seems very settled with Francis, Edwards, Snell, and Magor all gelling well.

Also in terms of current acceptable depth in case of injury it seems that of the players in that team the only ones that we could confidently consider would be Ladhams, Francis, and Warner with Edwards, Mitchell and Magor as outside chances.Its a good thing we don't have a few more injuries.

I was also impressed with Hanily, who got about 20 possessions and looks like a real competitor with a good tank and decent skills.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

McAndrew, if recontracted for next season, does need to be elevated onto a senior list that looks tight for spots.

I agree with others' observations that he's not shown much progress this year, but there's still a couple of months to play out. I'd be taking a wait-and-see approach to him. If the club wants to retain an extra ruck on the list next season and McAndrew is less effort than seeking out a mature ruck from elsewhere, I'd delist him and pick him up again in the rookie draft. There's a pretty low risk of another club stepping in to steal him, IMO.
Can we do that Liz? Delist him from the rookie list then re-rookie him? Big chance if we can. Senior spots are gold.

Some excellent comments people.

I can add that from my point of view the VFL back line seems very settled with Francis, Edwards, Snell, and Magor all gelling well.

Also in terms of current acceptable depth in case of injury it seems that of the players in that team the only ones that we could confidently consider would be Ladhams, Francis, and Warner with Edwards, Mitchell and Magor as outside chances.Its a good thing we don't have a few more injuries.

I was also impressed with Hanily, who got about 20 possessions and looks like a real competitor with a good tank and decent skills.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
I would personally add Hamling to that list of players I'd be ok with filling in for seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back