List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Contracts are out of control these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to pull out all the stops to simply lock him down before the Saints tried to sign him on a $50M deal 'til 2040.
Fun fact: There's a reasonable chance that a kid drafted this year will still be playing in 2040.

I don't think most people are saying just get kids. It's don't get C graders like Fisher and Stephens.
Experienced players from successful programs who have won a flag would help the group, it just depends what the trade capital cost is. If you can bring a few in without stalling the development opportunities of the young guys we have and address the long term needs through the draft at the same time, then that's a good balance imo.

If people are talking about Fisher and Stephens they need to move on.

Agree we need to get quality but then we will need to pay. But people not pick at every option put forward comparing them to a potential new Sheezel which is unrealistic.

Many are saying we need to go to the draft for another year or two. many.

Many think our 18 year olds won’t be getting AFL games but is developing in the VFL a disaster.

Many expect A grade quality for B grade prices and it’s silly talk. North needs to pay full value - we are bad

Last edited:
If people are talking about Fisher and Stephens they need to move on.

Agree we need to get quality but then we will need to pay. But people not pick every option out forward comparing them to a potential new Sheezel which is unrealistic.

Many are saying we need to go to the draft for another year or two. many.

Many think of N 18 year old isn’t getting AFzl games but is developing in the VFL it’s a disaster.

Many expect A grade quality for B grade prices and it’s silly talk. North needs to pay full value - we are bad
The reason I think we still need to go to the draft is to get in before Tassie starts drafting/trading in 2026.
There's no going back to that well necessarily during the 2026-2030 years if it's compromised.
There's a balance to be had as to how many 18 year olds vs mature draftees or trades.
This year we might not get a Houston, so it's 3-5 kids in a deeper draft and a couple of experience guys in late trades.
Next year who knows, we might feel like we've got enough in that Wardlaw/Sheez age group and we start trading a 1st out for a Lever/May type if we're better like Dees did and draft a Fritsch in the 2nd round at the same time.
That's up to the list and recruiting team to figure out what the balance is each year.

Last edited:
OK, I'm convinced. I still know nothing about the value of draft picks, but next time I'm going to give the chicken Bahn Mi a go. Never say bigfooty doesn't broaden your horizons.
Go to a Chinese restaurant near you or that sells chicken in lemongrass & chilli with a large fried rice and if you like Chinese, that doesn't change your life, your a hard taskmaster. ;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got back from lunch with Clarko, I promised him that I wouldn't leak any information but there was one thing he said that I was allowed to post… The letter J.

Awesome.

J-Mascis-007.jpg

Clarko obviously after some free guitar lessons.

Keep banging. We went into this season without a game plan. Yes, 'Northball', I know. But we can't shoot Clarko just yet. But we should acknowledge that it could have been a bigger issue than a lack of senior players to teach our kids how to play 'Northball'.

How about we try to do what everyone else does:

• develop a game plan around the strengths of our best players
  • recruit players to fill in the holes
  • shed the dead wood
  • balance the list

And then see how we go.
lol Northball wasn’t an actual thing mate. It was a throwaway line/joke that Georgie said over the summer, and the media and north plans clung onto it thinking it was going to change our fortunes. I’m certain it’s never been mentioned within the club.

If you don’t think the club is actively doing all of the things you’ve mentioned (spare ruck and small forward in MSD, recruiting Pink to fill a short term KPD gap, bringing in Steven’s and Fisher for run and carry, cutting Jed, Turner, etc) your not watching closely enough.

lol Northball wasn’t an actual thing mate. It was a throwaway line/joke that Georgie said over the summer, and the media and north plans clung onto it thinking it was going to change our fortunes. I’m certain it’s never been mentioned within the club.

If you don’t think the club is actively doing all of the things you’ve mentioned (spare ruck and small forward in MSD, recruiting Pink to fill a short term KPD gap, bringing in Steven’s and Fisher for run and carry, cutting Jed, Turner, etc) your not watching closely enough.
I know the name was a joke. But whether you call it Northball or not, we went into the season with a gameplan and it not only didn't suit our list, but would have required eight Harry Sheezels to execute. It took half a game to be worked out and exposed. No amount of experience would have been able to get it to work under sustained pressure, this is being used as a distraction.

And I have been watching. Watching us use the MSD, and late picks or DFA to fill our biggest holes. This was never going to cut it. We have just clogged our list with garbage and unbalanced it further. Unless there is a superstar available, logic says you should use your biggest assets to fill your biggest holes as it improves your team the most.

Go to a Chinese restaurant near you or that sells chicken in lemongrass & chilli with a large fried rice and if you like Chinese, that doesn't change your life, your a hard taskmaster. ;)
Went to make some fried rice last night. Used chicken, but figured I'd pre- roast it with some red dye and five spice in lieu of pork (tapeworm aversion).

Could not find Chinese red dye in the spice containers so I opted for the next best thing... Indian tandoori colouring. After all it is just red food dye.

I discovered that a little goes a long way.

A teaspoon full turned the chicken magenta and when I added it to the rice and gave it a stir, well let's just say... Fire engine special red fried rice.

Start with picks 2, 22, 40, 58 & 64

1. Pick 64 to West Coast for Darling.
2. Stephenson to Sydney for Parker.
3. Picks 2, 40 & 2025 2nd pick to Gold Coast for picks 6, 12, 20 & 38.
4. Picks 22, 38 & 58 to Brisbane for picks 18 & 53.
5. Lazzaro and pick 53 to Adelaide for pick 42.

Finish with picks 6, 12, 18, 20 & 42.

At the draft:

7 - Armstrong
15 - Berry
22 - Hannaford
27 - Gerreyn
46 - Mraz

Out: Thomas, Greenwood, Nyuon, Taylor, Stephenson, Lazzaro & Pink (re-rookie).
In: Darling, Parker, Armstrong, Berry, Hannaford, Gerreyn & Mraz.

Rookies:
Out: Shiels, Free & Sellers
In: Pink

Start with picks 2, 22, 40, 58 & 64

1. Pick 64 to West Coast for Darling.
2. Stephenson to Sydney for Parker.
3. Picks 2, 40 & 2025 2nd pick to Gold Coast for picks 6, 12, 20 & 38.
4. Picks 22, 38 & 58 to Brisbane for picks 18 & 53.
5. Lazzaro and pick 53 to Adelaide for pick 42.

Finish with picks 6, 12, 18, 20 & 42.

At the draft:

7 - Armstrong
15 - Berry
22 - Hannaford
27 - Gerreyn
46 - Mraz

Out: Thomas, Greenwood, Nyuon, Taylor, Stephenson, Lazzaro & Pink (re-rookie).
In: Darling, Parker, Armstrong, Berry, Hannaford, Gerreyn & Mraz.

Rookies:
Out: Shiels, Free & Sellers
In: Pink
Print this off and fax it to the Snoz pronto Rooler.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back