List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe the over-the-top Stengle love here. He's had one good season and it was off the back of having Cameron, Hawkins, Meiers and Close in the same forward line and each of them having a great season.

Not doubting his talent, but he'd struggle to produce it in our forward line.

Is Brad Close gettable? A far better fit.
I swear people make no allowance for any nuance around player's off-field conducts, team/club circumstances etc when floating ideas.

Like we're going to a recruit a player with question marks into a bottom side, likely consigned to another few losing seasons while building up with a leadership structure that is finding it's feet - and said player will just blossom and thrive.

On the rare occasion a wayward talent does go to a lowly side for cash, it rarely goes anywhere positive.

Mitch Clark to Melbourne comes to mind.

Clayton Oliver
Tyson Stengle
Rory Lobb

I love the notion these guys are just going to lob (ahem) over to Arden Street v2025 and be consistent quality players with no downside.

LDU's final year is next year as a RFA.

I think, from LDU's pov, why not take a 2 yr, maybe a mill a year, if the team is still stuck at bottom in 26, he's at his absolute prime of his career, been here for almost 10 years it's an each way bet really - if we're on the verge of top 8 then he'll probably sign a contract that sees his career out at North but if we're still rooted to the bottom, then we'll get a 1st rounder at a min and l don't think many would be grudge him chasing a flag?

That's a more likely outcome, similar to josh kelly's contract.

I swear people make no allowance for any nuance around player's off-field conducts, team/club circumstances etc when floating ideas.

Like we're going to a recruit a player with question marks into a bottom side, likely consigned to another few losing seasons while building up with a leadership structure that is finding it's feet - and said player will just blossom and thrive.

On the rare occasion a wayward talent does go to a lowly side for cash, it rarely goes anywhere positive.

Mitch Clark to Melbourne comes to mind.

Clayton Oliver
Tyson Stengle
Rory Lobb

I love the notion these guys are just going to lob (ahem) over to Arden Street v2025 and be consistent quality players with no downside.

oliver is the only player i would take as an 'last chancer' type recruit.

In the even we're not trying to retain him:

1. Start sowing the "required player" seeds in media
2. Give him a few ballwinner mid games in VFL or AFL
3. If other clubs make approaches- offer minimum cash 1 year deal
4. Clarkson runs with media messaging of "top 3 pick" "invested lot of time" "have a deal on the table, don't want to lose"
5. Hope a club takes the bait and overpays

If there are multiple clubs wanting his service then his price will rise up.

Like we're going to a recruit a player with question marks
What question marks? The heroes down at the cattery fixed him mate. 100% sorted.
Get on board.

In all seriousness though, I agree with all that you said. We’re screaming out for a player like stengle though so makes sense people (myself included) wanna go for him. It’s all irrelevant anyway, no chance in hell he comes to us

What are you expecting to receive for Whilphil?
I think he's worth more than just being delisted. I'm hoping he gets some AFL minutes later in the year and bumps up his trade value but perhaps 3rd round or using him to upgrade picks.
Not opposed to keeping him either but perhaps its best to move on now with Colby and FOS/Smillie likely to be added in the middle long term.

NM Pick 57 and Phillips for Tigers 40 or 41. Values him pick 52 or pick 54.
NM Pick 39 and Phillips for Tigers pick 32. Values him pick 61.
NM Pick 39 and Phillips for Bulldogs pick 28. Values him pick 54.
NM Pick 57 and Phillips for Dees pick 38 or 43. Values him pick 50 or 56.
Other options might upgrade to Saints 31, Hawks 33, or Cats 34.
WCE being interested, they only have pick 23 or 59.

Last edited:
I can't believe the over-the-top Stengle love here. He's had one good season and it was off the back of having Cameron, Hawkins, Meiers and Close in the same forward line and each of them having a great season.

Not doubting his talent, but he'd struggle to produce it in our forward line.

Is Brad Close gettable? A far better fit.
Lol have you cast your eye over his current season? One good season? This is such an uneducated post.

Lol have you cast your eye over his current season? One good season? This is such an uneducated post.

Yeah, it seems that my limited casual observations of Geelong this year and last have led to the incorrect conclusion that he hasn't maintained his 2022 standard. I'll cop to the 'uneducated' call.

I'll move to what troubles me about the suggestions of throwing Stengle the godfather deal - I just don't see that it's a good signal to the playing group if he comes in as our highest paid player.

Beware the footballer who is only interested in the highest bidder for his services. If this is true it's a red flag for me.
Right now they are the only A grade players we will get

Otherwise to clarko’s point it’s fringe players and veterans looking to extend their career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not across the stengle stuff. Why is all of a sudden gettable? Out of contract I understand, but surely he’s a required player down at whiskas stadium and they’ll give him 3 farms to keep him?
Yeah, pretty sure as soon as he gets genuine offers from other clubs, the cats will Cotton On pretty quickly and find something to keep him down there...

I think he's worth more than just being delisted. I'm hoping he gets some AFL minutes later in the year and bumps up his trade value but perhaps 3rd round or using him to upgrade picks.
Not opposed to keeping him either but perhaps its best to move on now with Colby and FOS/Smillie likely to be added in the middle long term.

NM Pick 57 and Phillips for Tigers 40 or 41. Values him pick 52 or pick 54.
NM Pick 39 and Phillips for Tigers pick 32. Values him pick 61.
NM Pick 39 and Phillips for Bulldogs pick 28. Values him pick 54.
NM Pick 57 and Phillips for Dees pick 38 or 43. Values him pick 50 or 56.
Other options might upgrade to Saints 31, Hawks 33, or Cats 34.
WCE being interested, they only have pick 23 or 59.
unfortunately if it comes to parting ways, I think these are the range of options

What?!

He was basically traded for a pick in the 60's by GC in the first place.

He's played 5 games since the end of 2022.

I like the idea of going after him and replacing Greenwood's spot on the list, but for a token pick only.

A token pick isn't getting it done, no matter what he was traded for before. It's not like a team trading on potential, he has produced elite numbers already.

He got injured after a stellar season and can't break into one of the top midfields in the league. It happens.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not really a valid comparison. How many goals would Larkey be averaging if he played for Geelong?
Probably around the same. He’d be targeted less due to their other big forwards. The point is that Stengle is a proven goal kicker and would improve us considerably given where our small fwd stocks are at. Not a perfect fit given we are crying out for more defensively pressure minded small fwd but I’d say the list team should give him consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back