List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We coughed up a first rounder for Howard because good full backs are really hard to come by, saying they’re easy to replace doesn’t match up with our actual experience.

Delaney, Wilkes, Brown, Frawley - all duds and I’m sure I’ve missed a few.

Howard came second in the B and F in 2020 didn't he? He's certainly not the problem. Our backline is the only line that has performed adequately. If you lose Battle and Howard at the end of this year we are instantly a much worse back 6 and with Webster getting on he's not going to be more reliable. Even his back up in Paton likely to go and we really look vulnerable.

I hope Battle signs and saves us from ourselves.

To me we look like we need a player like Stengle and a bridging midfield option to go with a drafted kid. That would make us competitive next year. Culling all senior depth and altering the back 6 looks like the way to go backwards.

Anyway if Lyon can't make his list fire he wears the consequences and hopefully lives and dies by his list decisions. It doesn't buy him time or excuses. He had injuries but so did Ratts and Richo when they got shown the door. If we don't start competition while we have our senior core I don't think we will for a long time.
I didn’t say he was easy to replace. I said Howard was bang average.

I said replacing a third tall defender is a lot easier to replace and ultimately if the club moves Howard on - which is a fair assumption at this point. They would have to replace him.

Lyon has 2 more seasons. He won’t go before that point.

If Battle and Howard are moved on I’m tipping we finish lower next year than this year.

If we turn battle into the next Chris Judd, I’ll shout everyone a beer.
And if we do keep them we could still be in the same position next year.

Thats the whole entire point of this stupid argument.

And if we do keep them we could still be in the same position next year.

Thats the whole entire point of this stupid argument.
Not really, we played finals last year and have since added some high quality players who will be hitting their peak.

Losing best 22 players in consecutive years means we are heading in the wrong direction.

Not really, we played finals last year and have since added some high quality players who will be hitting their peak.

Losing best 22 players in consecutive years means we are heading in the wrong direction.
The entire premise of the argument that you have conveniently omitted.

Is that whilst Battle is a good footballer. Him leaving could give us the ability to attain a second top 5/6 pick.

we haven’t had a pick that high since King in the draft. So the expectation would be flawed to say the kids we have taken should in fact all be delivering and pushing into the AFL side as one pick may not be enough of a high end talent injection with Tasmania on the horizon.

We may be back in the same or similar situation in 12 months and we would still in effect be 1 top 5/6 pick down from the chance infront of us as we won’t be able to let a Battle go for significantly more than he is worth.

The entire premise of the argument that you have conveniently omitted.

Is that whilst Battle is a good footballer. Him leaving could give us the ability to attain a second top 5/6 pick.

we haven’t had a pick that high since King in the draft. So the expectation would be flawed to say the kids we have taken should in fact all be delivering and pushing into the AFL side as one pick may not be enough of a high end talent injection with Tasmania on the horizon.

We may be back in the same or similar situation in 12 months and we would still in effect be 1 top 5/6 pick down from the chance infront of us as we won’t be able to let a Battle go for significantly more than he is worth.
I think I’m across the concept of compensation thanks stav.

You’re forgetting that the draft is a lottery, Battle is a better footballer than most of our first rounders of the past 20 years.

I don’t think we’ll end up with pick 5, more likely 8-9, so we’re around the Clark/a Coffield range.

Ryder was a garnish so we got a 2 place upgrade on 12 and lost 18, it was a decent amount of capital for a bloke running around in the SANFL.

How many gun fill backs have we landed in the last 20 years?

Well, we had two of the best six defenders last season as judged by the AFL. Both drafted inside the last 20 years.

Howard is still a solid role player. The problem with him not reaching previous heights is he’s playing out of position. When he won the B&F in 2020, he played as a 2nd tall CHB with Carlisle as the full back. This is why I’m happy to let Battle go - to move Howard into CHB and bring in a Butts or lockdown full back to free him up to intercept more. Maybe this is what moving Caminiti back could be for. Doug doesn’t have the foot skills of Battle, but he did fine in 2020 playing within his limits. Full back + Doug + Wilkie + Arie could work

You’re forgetting that the draft is a lottery, Battle is a better footballer than most of our first rounders of the past 20 years.

I don’t think we’ll end up with pick 5, more likely 8-9, so we’re around the Clark/a Coffield range.
To end up in that range. We would need to jump the 3 sides ahead of us.

They have a 2 win advantage. That appears to be very very unlikely

Here is the ladder to help you understand. As you clearly don’t grasp the situation we are in.

1719549301844.png

You really think we can push up to 11th and overtake Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Suns?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To end up in that range. We would need to jump the 3 sides ahead of us.

They have a 2 win advantage. That appears to be very very unlikely

Here is the ladder to help you understand. As you clearly don’t grasp the situation we are in.

View attachment 2032528
Sometimes I feel bad when you run away for a break, but I need to remember that you’re a condescending flog a lot of the time.

Howard is still a solid role player. The problem with him not reaching previous heights is he’s playing out of position. When he won the B&F in 2020, he played as a 2nd tall CHB with Carlisle as the full back. This is why I’m happy to let Battle go - to move Howard into CHB and bring in a Butts or lockdown full back to free him up to intercept more. Maybe this is what moving Caminiti back could be for. Doug doesn’t have the foot skills of Battle, but he did fine in 2020 playing within his limits. Full back + Doug + Wilkie + Arie could work
I think we go after 2 new dour key talls. Wilkie plays on a third tall and intercepts. (In the event Howard does leave, they will let him shop himself like last year)

Wouldn’t be surprised if they go after the likes of Butts Tomlinson etc.

Cheap. Solid. Can actually play on bigger players.

Sam Berry put contract talks off...and immediately gets named starting on ball for the croms.

Big chance they're wary of him leaving and would we be interested?
I hope not. Not sure how old he is, but he struggles a bit

I think we go after 2 new dour key talls. Wilkie plays on a third tall and intercepts. (In the event Howard does leave, they will let him shop himself like last year)

Wouldn’t be surprised if they go after the likes of Butts Tomlinson etc.

Cheap. Solid. Can actually play on bigger players.
I think we’ll recruit 1 if one of Battle or Doug stays; 2 if both leave - one via a cheap trade with some upside, one DFA

I’d still keep Doug tho, think he has more to offer than what we’d get in a trade for him especially if we move him into the CHB role again

I think we’ll recruit 1 if one of Battle or Doug stays; 2 if both leave - one via a cheap trade with some upside, one DFA

I’d still keep Doug tho, think he has more to offer than what we’d get in a trade for him especially if we move him into the CHB role again
I think it shows a clubs desire when they haven’t got a deal infront of a player at round 15.

That’s just ominous for the relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back