List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We also got Henry remember.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he can play regular footy like yesterday and the Pies game it was a bargain. It's not a bad draft to have a pick early second round but North priority picks, FS, academy etc are going to push them out a fair way. Even Battle compo could drift out to a mid 20s pick by the time it's been picked over.

At the moment our second rounder is pick 32. If you add in those FS, academy and north priorities our pick should be around 39 which is where we got Battle.

Hawks are the one. They are offering dollars and look ahead of us on this year's form.
If he goes we just have to hope that it generates band 1 for us.

Otherwise we are going backwards.

Battle will be a rock in defense for many years yet.

We may finish bottom 4, but we may also now sneak up the ladder a bit now that we have more players to select from to be more mid table. Unless some more creative selections occur.

If he goes we just have to hope that it generates band 1 for us.

Otherwise we are going backwards.

Battle will be a rock in defense for many years yet.

We may finish bottom 4, but we may also now sneak up the ladder a bit now that we have more players to select from to be more mid table. Unless some more creative selections occur.

I can't see it being any more than end of first round like Gresham. A pick around 22 to 24.

I understand that there is a cut off point though. If it ends up that we stinge on $50k or something you'd think that we'd be insane though.

With 8 of our last 9 games at Marvel and some key best 22 players coming back to fitness I very much doubt we finish 4th or 5th last

I'm sorry to be that person but if we don't finish 15-16th I'll go full Terry Wallace.

Play all the kids, play people out of position. Play test anything and everything you can.

There is ZERO to be gained from moving up the ladder this season. In fact it would actually set us back even further.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to be that person but if we don't I'll go full Terry Wallace.

Play all the kids, play people out of position. Play test anything and everything you can.

There is ZERO to be gained from moving up the ladder this season. In fact it would actually set us back even further.
So if we could qualify for finals, that’s zero in your eyes?

So if we could qualify for finals, that’s zero in your eyes?
What are you smoking and can I have some ?

....Let me humor you for mathematical shits and giggles. Yes, yes it is absolutely zero in my eyes. I would rather get draft pick ~4 and get a genuine midfielder than get absolutely smacked first round of finals and waste another year with a putrid midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't remember which knee Max injured when we played the Giants, was it the same one?

After last year was wrecked or at least severely hindered with the ongoing shoulder issue, we are starting to see a pattern emerging.

Often throughout his career we have questioned Max's endeavour, noone has doubted his ability. But with ongoing question marks and a body that isn't holding up for an entire season, is it time to cash in on our great white hope, the King of Moorabbin?

A week or two ago I asked the question, what would we give up for 2 of Andrew, Lukosius, Anderson or Rowell? I was anticipating more of a response, but the question fizzled out.

The question was somewhat loaded, as I was expecting someone to suggest Max and our first. I know a trade like that could blow up our club, but in open to anything to win a flag in my lifetime!

We have a small window to fix the midfield with top end talent before Tassie comes in and compromises the draft.
If we can get band 1 for Battle and we have say 4 and 5, we'll, as much as I love Josh, we just have to fix the midfield.

If we languish mid field to 2027, we won't be competitive again until the mid 30's, that would be 2 decades in the wilderness.

If we can purchase a frdp I would do that as well.

I don't understand Stav's thing about North and Trainor. They have no.1 pick, why the need to trade that down to get him, just use pick 1 if they are that desperate.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
In a word, yep.
Easier to replace a backman.

Perhaps Seb is playing a role. Doubt Lyon would carry anyone. Kids offer more in some ways but often it's the small stuff that you don't notice the older players doing that lets the kids run free. Otherwise young sides would all be brilliant and win every game. Getting the balance right is how you come up with a winning side. Geelong has tipped over now their youth and experience quota has increased.

Losing Batts is pushing the cliff out further. We have already let Gresham walk. We've stacked the mid career tier with GOPS at the moment and most don't have much scope for improvement. Battle still has his best 5 years of footy coming up.

WQe said we would match Gresham if he didn't get us a pick straight after our FRDP and it didn't happen. We got Collard who doesn't even look definite to stay in Melbourne let alone become a player of equal value.

If Lyon bottoms us out I think we need to look at the decision makers including the president. We are a bit off top 4 but we shouldn't be anywhere near bottom 4.
If we bottom out the whole admin will take the blame as they exit but they'll have done the hard work and set us up before Tassie come in.

I'd prefer keep Batts too but good defenders, wingers and forwards* are useless if your mids are crappy.

Like this post if you are FOR the full tank

I think we finish 15th regardless.

WLD%
1.Sydney2030133.8%
2.Carlton1850117.0%
3.Collingwood1562108.3%
4.Geelong1580108.8%
5.Melbourne1580108.8%
6.Essendon1481105.4%
7.Fremantle1391118.7%
8.Port Adelaide13100108.1%
9.Western Bulldogs12110115.1%
10.GWS12110106.1%
11.Brisbane Lions11111105.4%
12.Gold Coast1013098.8%
13.Hawthorn1013095.4%
14.Adelaide9131103.7%
15.St Kilda716092.9%
16.West Coast617077.6%
17.North Melbourne320063.1%
18.Richmond122064.8%
QF1: SYDNEY v Geelong
QF2: CARLTON v Collingwood
EF1: MELBOURNE v Port Adelaide
EF2: Essendon v FREMANTLE

SF1: Geelong v MELBOURNE
SF2: Collingwood v FREMANTLE

PF1: SYDNEY v Fremantle
PF2: CARLTON v Melbourne

GF: SYDNEY v Carlton

WLD%
1.Sydney2030133.8%
2.Carlton1850117.0%
3.Collingwood1562108.3%
4.Geelong1580108.8%
5.Melbourne1580108.8%
6.Essendon1481105.4%
7.Fremantle1391118.7%
10.GWS12110106.1%
12.Gold Coast1013098.8%
13.Hawthorn1013095.4%
14.Adelaide9131103.7%
15.St Kilda716092.9%
16.West Coast617077.6%
18.Richmond122064.8%

Providing this plays out, it would have to be the first time ever the bottom side beats the eventual premiers for their only win of the year 😮

WLD%
1.Sydney2030133.8%
2.Carlton1850117.0%
3.Collingwood1562108.3%
4.Geelong1580108.8%
5.Melbourne1580108.8%
6.Essendon1481105.4%
7.Fremantle1391118.7%
10.GWS12110106.1%
12.Gold Coast1013098.8%
13.Hawthorn1013095.4%
14.Adelaide9131103.7%
15.St Kilda716092.9%
16.West Coast617077.6%
18.Richmond122064.8%

I could live with this.
A necessary evil.
( Well, everything except the Blues in the GF!
Imagine if they actually won it 😱)

A poster on another site seems pretty confident Battle has committed to Hawthorn and will be leaving at seasons end. He suggested he is a really popular player about the club and there are a lot of very unhappy players as a result of whats gone on. If true I gather that suggests the club havent offerred any where near what the Hawks have. If that is correct I will be extremely pissed with the club...Battle is all heart IMO.

If the above if correct Shoenmaker is the obvious long term replacement so lets hope he can do the work on his contested marking and defensive game, because there is no doubt he will be an attacking weapon.
Love Battle, but if he's making $200,000 a season extra at Hawthorn, then good on him.

We don't need to blow out our cap for a player who's position we have good depth in.

Schoenmaker stepping into the 3rd tall position for $600,000 a season less sounds fine to me.

With 8 of our last 9 games at Marvel and some key best 22 players coming back to fitness I very much doubt we finish 4th or 5th last

Our fixture is:
Gold Coast (H)
Brisbane (A)
Bye
PA (H)
Swans (H)
Adelaide (A)
West Coast (H)
Essendon (H)
Brisbane (H)
Richmond (A)
Geelong (H)
Carlton (A)

I don’t think we’ll win a game before West Coast, and by that stage we’ll be putting the cue in the rack sending players away for early surgery and the like as we look forward to 2025.

I think we’ll win only 3 games (West Coast, Essendon and Richmond). That’s 7 wins for the season which will be the same position we are now.

15th and pick 4.

That’s my take anyway.

Providing this plays out, it would have to be the first time ever the bottom side beats the eventual premiers for their only win of the year

No, it happened in 1963.

Fitzroy won only one game for the year and they beat the eventual Premier (Geelong) at the Brunswick Street Oval.

On the same day, Victoria lost to SA at the MCG.

Kevin Murray was captain coach of Fitzroy but missed the game because he was captain of Victoria the same day. Geelong’s coach, Bob Davis, was coaching Victoria. The irony of life.

Fitzroy didn’t win another game in 1963 or 1964. Murray moved to WA and captained East Perth in 1965.

No, it happened in 1963.

Fitzroy won only one game for the year and they beat the eventual Premier (Geelong) at the Brunswick Street Oval.

On the same day, Victoria lost to SA at the MCG.

Kevin Murray was captain coach of Fitzroy but missed the game because he was captain of Victoria the same day. Geelong’s coach, Bob Davis, was coaching Victoria. The irony of life.

Fitzroy didn’t win another game in 1963 or 1964. Murray moved to WA and captained East Perth in 1965.
Coached 34 games for 34 losses. Happened to be on Finey's quiz the other night. One caller amusingly guessed Timmy Watson. His record wasn't actually as bad as the lasting memory of his coaching.

There will not be a new offer to Battle. I told you all at the start of the season. We have a value for Battle in terms of salary cap and we have a value for Battle in terms of return on the market.

We are currently at our salary limit. He has a 6 year offer from us. Unfortunately a mixture of poor form and big offers look him leaving is the most likely option.

The situation as it stands has us of the belief it’s a first round compo - and that would exceed our external value (There isn’t a poster on here that wouldn’t think it’s good list management if you could nab a top 5 pick for Battle). That doesn’t mean we are happy he leaves (likely not guaranteed) just that the outcome is acceptable.

Feel like one of Ross or Membrey goes. Looking like Tim.

They are keen to see how much value Howard can recover for the rest of the year. Similar to Battle. Thing with key backs is that clubs are willing to offer overs on salary for free ones. Keep an eye on a few of Adelaide’s tall backs as a potential replacement.

No free agent this year as it stands. They are looking at older players on the fringes they can get for cheap for a year or 2 or 3 that don’t hinder the cap space. Doggies have one or two we like.

Expect a really decent turnover at years end. More focus on youth again.

Hypothetically if you have 2 top 5 picks in this particular draft. You are laughing. Draper and Jagga Smith?

We are also keen on a late first. Think Hotton could fall into that range.

I’ll also leave you with this. North Melbourne desperately wants Trainor. They are willing to trade back from pick 1 to land this kid. We are aware of this as long as it doesn’t cost first rounders.

Max Hall. No idea who he was the other week. But SOS and Dalrymple think he could be top 5 in the Liston trophy if it was happening today. Thats not saying he even makes it at the level. But they like some of the intangibles he has and is a different mix to our current listed players.

Hope you are all well. Footy is shit when your side sucks (again!) but this isn’t full rebuild. There is a few things coming to light now that the blowtorch is applied that needs to be corrected. It will be.
Great to see u back Stav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back