List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard from 'Smythe' that Elwood Peckett is playing well & delivering it well too. And he's not sure if Boston Everitt is even playing?
Playing for Carey Grammar who have won 2/7, only been named amongst the best once and kicked three goals for the season.

Looks like he's not for us.

the Gags one is super bizarre.

i looked into all the current list managers and not one has come from outside the industry. you are either a player manager jumping into club land or you already worked in an AFL football dept.

its very very strange.

Let's assume the speculation that we were on life support due to the previous board split re GT and Butts and our last effort was the first RTB stint where we essentially had a CEO who CBF speaking to anyone internal about anything or negotiating any sort of deals to have people mad exodusing the club when that stint reaped zero rewards.

Who, within industry, would want to go to that entity and be employed by them?

The crux of this era has us literally obtaining the sitting AFLPA chairman to become our CEO, this is the bloke that was negotiating with the entire AFL entity coming to our tiny little club, this would then follow up with ex what third in line for CEO of entire comp in Lethlean later.

To me, and I have been chair of a local club that worked largely on agreements made with local and volunteers, pokies and etc, that is not a club, that is an entity on its knees needing a handout and the AFL giving it in the only form it can; people who can negotiate instances with governmental agencies for sweet sweet national funding allocations.

This is core to why I consider we, as a club today, starts at Summers+Finnis. That's our zero point for this iteration, everything before it in the AFL era was one part being fine, one part being OK and multiple parts being hard trash, but this zero point was a crux of "we need help to ID ourselves, we are rebuilding this club ground up".

So Richo gets a pass as he got nothing to work with, just the players and the buildings, that's it.
Ratts gets a pass, as his work got shoehorned by Covid.
This is also why at the end of Ratts tenure, with Lethers, we started getting people who knew shit, ie Rath and the handover from Finnis (agreement, hey look at this entity you can bankroll and we'll sell out like whores so long as you give us money) to Lethers (I was previously heading the AFLW creation then replacing Mark Evans as OP head) only as we know, ideas changed, people didn't mesh, things happened and we have what we have now.

This is really our first chance at continuity with instead of continuity without.

Gags was a part of that, sure talent structures were still shizen, but it then spawned that review into that department holistically.

the Gags one is super bizarre.

i looked into all the current list managers and not one has come from outside the industry. you are either a player manager jumping into club land or you already worked in an AFL football dept.

its very very strange.
Nothing strange about it, he was Lethlean’s mate. He tried to disguise it with “oh he’s a bank guy he’s good with numbers”. Not only that he almost got a promotion. Lethlean is a real sly operator.

I think Gringo would go alright as our list manager. Would make it a high priority to draft mids.

Excuse me if I don’t share your confidence in such an appointment

JQO05K2.jpeg

Why would you give up a gun kid for an extra year of LDU when we're not even planning on contending in that year? What a complete waste

I would to be honest. Next year North could surge and he won't leave. This is an ordinary draft and unlikely to get a player as good with that pick. At 25 he should be good for 10 years and probably pushes us towards top 4.

2020 pick 1 JUH, pick 2 Riley Tilthorpe, 3 Will Phillips, 4 Logan McDonald, 5 Brayden Campbell, 6 Denver Grainger- Barass, 7 Ellijah Hollands, 8 Nick Cox. I'm not vibing on this draft and think it could be similar.

I would to be honest. Next year North could surge and he won;'t leave. This is an ordinary draft and unlikely to get a player as good with that pick. At 25 he should be good for 10 years and probably pushes us towards top 4.

2020 pick 1 JUH, pick 2 Riley Tilthorpe, 3 Will Phillips, 4 Logan McDonald, 5 Brayden Campbell, 6 Denver Grainger- Barass, 7 Ellijah Hollands, 8 Nick Cox. I'm not vibing on this draft and think it could be similar.
You're using the 2020 draft as an example which was affected by COVID. Additionally, none of those picks are mids except JUH who's a gun, Hollands who looks to be coming good, and Phillips who the modern game has moved past so just unlucky. Everyone else is a non-mid and are more speculative, especially with the talls

If LDU doesn't leave then so be it

If we keep the picks this year then we take two top 10 picks to the draft or even split one of them if we really think the top end is weak. Either take two of the best mids, or split the higher pick of the two into a low top 10 pick and a late first rounder. Then we'd have 2 picks from 6-10 and one in the late teens. Take best mid available + a Lalor/Moraes/Travaglia/Gross/Langford/Hotton then potentially add a Dodson as a development ruck

Go as hard as possible for LDU in 2025, if we fail then its not the end of the world. We'll still have kids coming thru, and there'll be other options to improve our side.

If we trade for LDU this year, we miss out on one or two of this year's first round talents that could define the 'refresh' especially if we start pushing up the ladder next year and don't get another good draft pick until after Tassie

I’ve tried my best to find info on how Boston is going. Even contacted the school on socials. Hahaha hopefully they don’t take it the wrong way. Can’t find any info. I’m praying he isn’t playing because he is having really bad growth pains and growing to 208cm Darcy style.

Unfortunately I think Boston's height leans more towards Sheree's, his mother, than his Dad's.

interesting coming out of some section of freo

Apparently Will Brodie needs to work on his defensive game to make the team again. Watch this video and tell me you actually believe that’s the real reason he is not getting a fair go. Brodie is currently averaging more tackles than Fyfe, Johnson and O’Meara. JL won’t admit he was wrong to extend Fyfe and bring in JOM, so he won’t play Brodie no matter how well he performs. The only reason he ever got a fair go was because Josh Carr saw what we all see in him.
The problem with the entire Fremantle Dockers club is that it is full of arrogance. They hate admitting and being proven wrong. Even at our detriment, they double down and hold us back.

if any truth in all that maybe we can get him cheaply and quietly just to save longmuirs blushes,good for us if we want brodie at all that freo keep winning without him,make finals & longmuir is secure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Will Brodie needs to work on his defensive game to make the team again. Watch this video and tell me you actually believe that’s the real reason he is not getting a fair go. Brodie is currently averaging more tackles than Fyfe, Johnson and O’Meara. JL won’t admit he was wrong to extend Fyfe and bring in JOM, so he won’t play Brodie no matter how well he performs. The only reason he ever got a fair go was because Josh Carr saw what we all see in him.
The problem with the entire Fremantle Dockers club is that it is full of arrogance. They hate admitting and being proven wrong. Even at our detriment, they double down and hold us back.

if any truth in all that maybe we can get him cheaply and quietly just to save longmuirs blushes,good for us if we want brodie at all that freo keep winning without him,make finals & longmuir is secure

Can’t say I watch or know a lot about what’s going on over there.

But tackles aren’t necessarily a great indicator for someone’s defensive side of their game as a midfielder.

If he doesn’t chase. Block his man and he has no accountability. Then it’s completely understandable.

You're using the 2020 draft as an example which was affected by COVID. Additionally, none of those picks are mids except JUH who's a gun, Hollands who looks to be coming good, and Phillips who the modern game has moved past so just unlucky. Everyone else is a non-mid and are more speculative, especially with the talls

If we keep the picks this year then we take two top 10 picks to the draft or even split one of them if we really think the top end is weak. Either take two of the best mids, or split the higher pick of the two into a low top 10 pick and a late first rounder. Then we'd have 2 picks from 6-10 and one in the late teens. Take best mid available + a Lalor/Moraes/Travaglia/Gross/Langford/Hotton then potentially add a Dodson as a development ruck

Go as hard as possible for LDU in 2025, if we fail then its not the end of the world. We'll still have kids coming thru, and there'll be other options to improve our side.

If we trade for LDU this year, we miss out on one or two of this year's first round talents that could define the 'refresh' especially if we start pushing up the ladder next year and don't get another good draft pick until after Tassie

It was a Covid year but those kids had been in the system since they were 13 or something. Just a very weak draft with less exposed form in their draft year in Victoria

He’s not playing because he’s a one position inside mid and they have two star quality ones. They can’t carry three of them. If we take him it’s to fill Crouch’s role if he’s cooked.

If we have drafted one kid as good as LDU in 22 years it says we’re probably better off chasing a gun than hoping for a draft win.

He’s not playing because he’s a one position inside mid and they have two star quality ones. They can’t carry three of them. If we take him it’s to fill Crouch’s role if he’s cooked.
It would be unusual for him to move 2 years into a 3 year deal but someone like him would probably allow us to retire all of Jones, Ross and Crouch so there's some serious merit to the idea.

It would be unusual for him to move 2 years into a 3 year deal but someone like him would probably allow us to retire all of Jones, Ross and Crouch so there's some serious merit to the idea.

Players would usually rather play. Again he's probably a bridge more than the answer but he's more than capable as an inside player while a draftee comes on.

thats a position we lack,i just think a ward or sheldrick would cost a lot more,but if we can get one of them of course pull the trigger,but if not i think one or two mids from high in this years draft & one of brodie s.berry phillips fiorini,with brodie being my personal #1 of them,would be a good start,while we continue to have a crack at the LDU's of this world,none of which are any guarentee to come to us any time soon,oh and parker for a couple years would be very nice,but if the likes of a brodie comes off we have an 8 year player

gotta start somewhere & it aint going to be with the likes of the bont and ldu both coming across like jack with the magic beans

Brodie's issue is his speed. His game is solely dependent on winning the contested ball. If he wins it, then it all looks very good. If he doesn't then his opponent will burn him out the front of stoppage and most likely win a quality clearance that gives oppo a clear look inside 50.

With a ruckman like Row who doesn't win many hitouts and isn't the best at giving our mids first use, Brodie would struggle even more than he does at Freo, who had Darcy feeding HOAs to Brodie every time. It'd be a horrible acquisition

It was a Covid year but those kids had been in the system since they were 13 or something. Just a very weak draft with less exposed form in their draft year in Victoria
Its not a coincidence that one of the weakest drafts in recent history was when COVID hit. Most players come on in their draft year with all the development stuff they have in U18s, and missing that plus a whole year of footy sets them back massively

If we have drafted one kid as good as LDU in 22 years it says we’re probably better off chasing a gun than hoping for a draft win.

Though when did we last land a gun? Ignoring Hannas who was a gun, but a clapped out one.

Hill? Certainly decent, but not quite a gun.

Steele who was not a gun when we traded for him.

We have had a lot of decent second tier players. But Hamill and the GTrain were traded in a long , long time ago. (Probably Penny too, but he rooted his knee unfortunately).

Have I forgotten someone?

It is one reason why Stengle is attractive. But as the St Kilda luck would have it his availability is in the same year that Battle may go as a FA undermining the value of the deal.

The most likely beneficial path for us is hoping that Battle gives us Band 1 that we do not win too many more games this year, and that we can attract some decent, but not gun, players like Brodie.

Unfortunately, our lot at presents seems to be chasing the crumbs on the table, rather than the actual cake.

But yes chase LDU and any other FA Gun in 2025. Just our odds of actually getting one are remote.

But just maybe if we can land someone like Brodie this year to fill a gap, that our kids as a group have an outperform next year including Pou and Owens improving, Keeler emerging from nowhere and Arie's defensive game and intercept marking match his kicking, then we may have a better shot of actually landing that long lusted for Unicorn Gun FA.

Last edited:
Players would usually rather play. Again he's probably a bridge more than the answer but he's more than capable as an inside player while a draftee comes on.
I still think there's a bit to play out for us this year. I'm quietly hoping that we don't so much need the bridge as our u22's can fill the void whilst at the same time not wanting to win too many more games this season.
One half decent midfielder of about that age would be enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back