Women's Footy 2024 Week 5 (2nd Game) Rd Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sunday 29th September 5:05PM (AEST) @ Alberton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

The energy is up which has led to better passages of play this week. A couple of good looks that weren’t converted in the second quarter. The tall targets in the forward half don’t have second efforts. It’s a bit deflating to work that hard and watch the ball come out without a lot of pressure.

And Fitzpatrick out for the season is one we can’t cover as Keck is not strong enough or fast enough yet to beat the better small defenders. Hopefully she will develop with a couple of preseasons under her belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A better effort today but a lot of energy is devoted to a playing style that doesn’t take territory. Port played a direct game and achieved significantly more with 50 less possessions. I think the key for Port was the ability to win contests when Carlton left the back half of the ground. They then had the confidence to kick it long to dangerous forwards. Conceding the last 6 scoring shots makes it look on a par with our other losses but it wasn’t on that level.

We have a solid core of players that are up to this standard. It falls away from there on. Some because they’re still developing and deserve a chance. Others are not as good as they once were and unfortunately some will continue to struggle from what I see.

If I could have a wish list of possible recruits I’d like a gun key position defender and a gun key position forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy 2024 Week 5 (2nd Game) Rd Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sunday 29th September 5:05PM (AEST) @ Alberton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back