• 3rd South Australia Team

Votes: 59 9.4%
  • 3rd Western Australia Team

Votes: 203 32.2%
  • Other

Votes: 29 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing I don't like about the 7 v 10, 8 v 9 wildcard idea is that 7 and 8 don't get a week off. How good was last seasons finals series with the Giants finishing 7th and almost making the GF. If they didn't get a week off, could they have still done as well? I'm not sure.

I'd rather they just leave the final round matchups unknown, but lock in 7 v 10 and 8 v 9, even if they've already played each other twice or at the home ground of 7 and 8.

So the other fixtures would just be normal but those two would be early elimination finals that determine the top 8.

The winners of the wildcard round would get a week off like the other 6 finalists.

This could only be extended to a maximum top 12, though, where you have 5 v 12, 6 v 11, 7 v 10, and 8 v 9. Any further than that and the top 4 wouldn't have a double chance anymore unless they qualify for finals.

It would help a lot if the bye was the actual reward and we did away with the double chance.

Week 1:

3 v 10
4 v 9
5 v 8
6 v 7

Week 2:

1 v lowest ranked winner
2 v second-lowest ranked winner
etc

Week 3:

Same thing

Week 4:

GF

With 12 teams you could have:

Week 1:

5 v 12
6 v 11
7 v 10
8 v 9

Week 2:

1 v lowest ranked winner
2 v second lowest ranked winner
3 v second highest ranked winner
etc

16 teams:

9 v 16
8 v 15
7 v 14
etc

Week 2:

1 v lowest ranked winner
and so on

Last edited:
Par Tassie, what colour do you want to see in an expansion side?

Like to see sky blue, if so for Canberra.

Anything vibrant other AFL clubs seem to avoid.

Par Tassie, what colour do you want to see in an expansion side?

Like to see sky blue, if so for Canberra.

Anything vibrant other AFL clubs seem to avoid.

Green and black
Green red and white
Green and white
Green and orange

Light blue, royal blue and orange
Black, gold and white
Green, blue and yellow

They are all the colours I can think of that are missing.

Green and black
Green red and white
Green and white
Green and orange

Light blue, royal blue and orange
Black, gold and white
Green, blue and yellow

They are all the colours I can think of that are missing.

I think that would be the best colour scheme out of those options for Canberra.

1710396826342.png

Gimme MOAR expansion.

Here's some literal one click of a button [insert colour scheme] Bing AI art concepts for um, the perfect amount too many expansion clubs.
20. Canberra Owls: blue, green, yellow.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 2.41.14 pm.png

21. North Perth Quokkas, black, gold, white; apparently does NOT understand black sash.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 2.43.21 pm.png

22. Southern Sharks (3rd SA): blue and black.
Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 2.45.14 pm.png

23. New Zealand Pirates: silver and black.
Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 2.45.47 pm.png

24. Newcastle Hunters: light blue, royal blue, orange (yeah, I don't see any royal blue either but light blue would be fine).

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 2.46.30 pm.png

25. Darwin Dingoes: green and orange.
Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 2.48.21 pm.png

26. Cairns Crocodiles: green and black.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 2.49.20 pm.png

Gimme MOAR expansion.

Here's some literal one click of a button [insert colour scheme] Bing AI art concepts for um, the perfect amount too many expansion clubs.

View attachment 1927584

21. North Perth Quokkas, black, gold, white; apparently does NOT understand black sash.

View attachment 1927585

View attachment 1927586

View attachment 1927587

24. Newcastle Hunters: light blue, royal blue, orange (yeah, I don't see any royal blue either but light blue would be fine).

View attachment 1927592

View attachment 1927593

View attachment 1927597

What program did you use for that? Some of these are better than the designs the afl come up with.

I particularly like.

The top 2 Canberra ones
Bottom right of the gold and black looks awesome
Top left sharks
Bottom right dingoes.

20 Teams.
Split in 2x10 Conference
20 Games.
Play each team in your Conference twice.
Final H&A Round Would Play the same ranked team in other Conference.
Finals Top 4 Both Conference.
At seasons end based on Final ladder positions at end of H&A season Teams 1,3,5,7,9 From Conference A will go to Conference B and from Conference B Teams 2,4,6,8,10 will go to Conference A.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gimme MOAR expansion.

View attachment 1927584

View attachment 1927585

View attachment 1927586

View attachment 1927587

View attachment 1927592

View attachment 1927593

View attachment 1927597
Only one club allowed to have Orange.

It’s our prison bars !

What program did you use for that? Some of these are better than the designs the afl come up with.

I particularly like.

The top 2 Canberra ones
Bottom right of the gold and black looks awesome
Top left sharks
Bottom right dingoes.
Just bing image creator lol. I didn’t go into much detail but yeah it’s pretty good if you’re more specific.

20 Teams.
Split in 2x10 Conference
20 Games.
Play each team in your Conference twice.
Final H&A Round Would Play the same ranked team in other Conference.
Finals Top 4 Both Conference.
At seasons end based on Final ladder positions at end of H&A season Teams 1,3,5,7,9 From Conference A will go to Conference B and from Conference B Teams 2,4,6,8,10 will go to Conference A.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nah, if you’re gonna go 2x10, what I’d do is everyone plays once = 19 games + four teams from your own conference = 23 games.

Broadcasters will want to keep 23; it might even be 24 by then so you’d play half your conference once.

It’d be spread out like a normal fixture.

Top 5 from each conference would go into some kind of top 5 finals system.

Of course, if you’re not gonna go beyond 20 teams, then there’s no need to split the league up, but if you do (and I think they definitely should if North don’t move to Canberra and they won’t) then it’s not difficult at all to adapt to.

I know people hate the idea of one day having a league where you don’t play every team once but personally I don’t give a shit. Maintaining rivalries is more important and you can’t do that beyond 22 teams unless you have some kind of conference system.

I just think it’s dumb to stop expanding if there’s actually a good case for new teams in the future, but of course, it’s also silly to have new teams for the sake of having new teams.

I quite like the green, blue and gold. ACT colours, plus the green for the bush capital.

If we went lime green, I'd like to see it paired with primarily black, and more of a green trim.
I'd probably not use green to distinguish from the Raiders

Codes can co-exist. Don’t know why they don’t think they can. The fans would embrace it.
But you'd want to distinguish from one another, unlike the NZ where most teams in Auckland let's say, wears blue.

And sky blue is a colour that has been popularised with the success of Man City, and not like it doesn't represent ACT at all either.

But you'd want to distinguish from one another, unlike the NZ where most teams in Auckland let's say, wears blue.

And sky blue is a colour that has been popularised with the success of Man City, and not like it doesn't represent ACT at all either.

How does sky blue represent the ACT?

It's NSW's colour, which is a completely different jurisdiction, and most Canberrans have no affiliation with NSW.

Had a quick re-gen of Newcastle, New Zealand, and Cairns.
design a sleeveless AFL kit for the Newcastle Hunters. Primary colour light blue, secondary colour orange, third colour white.. Image 1 of 4
design a sleeveless AFL kit for the Newcastle Hunters. Primary colour light blue, secondary colour orange, third colour white.. Image 2 of 4
design a sleeveless AFL kit for the Newcastle Hunters. Primary colour light blue, secondary colour orange, third colour white.. Image 3 of 4
design a sleeveless AFL kit for the Newcastle Hunters. Primary colour light blue, secondary colour orange, third colour white.. Image 4 of 4

Newcastle.

design a sleeveless AFL kit for the New Zealand Pirates. Primary colour black, secondary colour silver.. Image 1 of 4
design a sleeveless AFL kit for the New Zealand Pirates. Primary colour black, secondary colour silver.. Image 2 of 4
design a sleeveless AFL kit for the New Zealand Pirates. Primary colour black, secondary colour silver.. Image 3 of 4
design a sleeveless AFL kit for the New Zealand Pirates. Primary colour black, secondary colour silver.. Image 4 of 4

New Zealand.

design a sleeveless AFL kit for the Cairns Crocodiles. Primary colour lime green, secondary colour black.. Image 1 of 4
design a sleeveless AFL kit for the Cairns Crocodiles. Primary colour lime green, secondary colour black.. Image 2 of 4
design a sleeveless AFL kit for the Cairns Crocodiles. Primary colour lime green, secondary colour black.. Image 3 of 4
design a sleeveless AFL kit for the Cairns Crocodiles. Primary colour lime green, secondary colour black.. Image 4 of 4

Cairns.

How does sky blue represent the ACT?

It's NSW's colour, which is a completely different jurisdiction, and most Canberrans have no affiliation with NSW.
ACT's blue is closer to a royal blue, with gold and white as on the territory's flag. Brumbies use a darker blue in Super Rugby I think. Capitals (WNBL) something closer to a sky blue.
West Coast would probably get antsy over another team taking gold and blue as their key colours, and three blue and white teams is enough. A very basic royal blue, light enough to not be confused with Carlton, with just a little yellow and white trimmings (swap yellow and blue for away, a white based clash kit when away to WC) might work. Simple, but different enough.
Lime green would look too much like trying to jump on the Raiders identity, a darker green wouldn't make sense as the only reason an AFL team would be looked at is if Tasmania goes ahead - and Tas would have to use "bottle green" as the base colour.

ACT flag - look, no Union Jack
1710494448037.png

ACT's blue is closer to a royal blue, with gold and white as on the territory's flag. Brumbies use a darker blue in Super Rugby I think. Capitals (WNBL) something closer to a sky blue.
West Coast would probably get antsy over another team taking gold and blue as their key colours, and three blue and white teams is enough. A very basic royal blue, light enough to not be confused with Carlton, with just a little yellow and white trimmings (swap yellow and blue for away, a white based clash kit when away to WC) might work. Simple, but different enough.
Lime green would look too much like trying to jump on the Raiders identity, a darker green wouldn't make sense as the only reason an AFL team would be looked at is if Tasmania goes ahead - and Tas would have to use "bottle green" as the base colour.

ACT flag - look, no Union Jack
View attachment 1928838
Lime green and a touch of black would be pretty cool colours for Canberra, I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion 20th AFL team location

Back