AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Best season in a long time.. and playing great footy.

But his lack of pace does hurt us. Is holding his spot but I wonder if he will come seasons end.

Clearly the twilight now.. nice bloke, was always a good bloke. Good to see him being able to enjoy his footy and taste a little bit of success on field from a team perspective.

Knackers turns 32 tomorrow.

Thought he was ok on the wing, I kinda expected him to get minced given GWS run a combination of Perryman, Kelly and Callaghan through there but he held up well enough.

Can't remember exactly when or what the result was but be hit a beautiful inboard chip to Perkins at one point in the second half that was pure old man game stuff, didn't get it there very quickly and it didn't go very far but it was on the button to a man in stride and we were off to the races.

Its no surprise that Hepp is looking so much better behind the ball this year, and the best for a few years still.

The pressure up the ground is causing teams to be less precise with the ball and allowing us to get numbers back. Hepps strength is his ability to read the play and get in position, and this is happening more as the play slows down ahead of him.

If you are asking him to consistently defend a guy 1v1 in space on the last line, he is gonna struggle like has the last few years as his athleticism declines. Fortunately we arent putting him in that position all that often at the moment.

Last edited:
Its no surprise that Hepp is looking so much better behind the ball this, and the best for a few years still.

The pressure up the ground is causing teams to be less precise with the ball and allowing us to get numbers back. Hepps strength is his ability to read the play and get in position, and this is happening more as the play slows down ahead of him.

If you are asking him to consistently defend a guy 1v1 in space on the last line, he is gonna struggle like has the last few years as his athleticism declines. Fortunately we arent putting him in that position all that often at the moment.
Reads the ball for sure and for a guy his size has always used his body well in marking contests

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its no surprise that Hepp is looking so much better behind the ball this year, and the best for a few years still.

Agree with this. He looks more able to find his position or get to a contest quicker because the work of his team mates is making it viable. His courage has never diminished, so he still does his part and scraps it out when he needs to and looks like he belongs.

If we play finals and the game goes up a couple of gears, I fear we'll see the old man's age reveal itself again. For now he looks like he's found the fountain of youth and is having a great season. I think I even saw him shove someone in the chest. 😱

think he was very bad against gws. have watched the replay. not really sure what he achieved or was meant to achieve in that game.
17 disposals, 4 marks., so contributed.
I gather he's there to provide a cool head. Ideally, I'd rather someone else take his spot, but I do think he's been a calming influence, especially late in games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back