21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello all,

So as promised, this is the thread to do a draft of 21st century players, but this time from scratch until all 22 rounds are complete.

I've seen some discussion about those that want to keep it at 2000 or later, some that want to move it to 1990, those that can't remember players that early and those that were disappointed they couldn't select a number of quality players from the late 90's.

So I've come up with a compromise that hopefully satisfies everyone (or no one - haha). I think I'll keep it a '21st century' draft but recognise that players drafted in the late 90's still spent the greater portion of their career in the 21st century. Trying to work out if every player played more games in the 2000's or more in the 90's is way too hard so I'm going to go smack bang in the middle and make the cut off 1995. This adds plenty of gun players that people hoped for, doesn't go quite as far back for the younger drafters, means that those with full careers (i.e. the types of players we would be selecting) are likely to have played at least 50% of their careers in the 2000's and is obviously the half-way point between the 2 opinions.

Then, rather than specify the 1995 draft as the starting point (as people will pick from and argue about the 1995 preseason draft which was a part of the '94 draft, about the underage concession draftees and about mature players that are re-drafted), I'm going to keep it simple and say anyone that debuted in 1995 or later is fair game.

The other rules:

1. It's a snake draft - so reverse order every 2nd round, meaning pick 18 then gets pick 19, etc.
2. Please tag the next drafter after your choice.
3. Every 3 rounds, you need to post an update of your 22 (which will be in the OP).
4. You will be given a maximum of 8 hours to make a selection. These hours do not include between 10pm and 8am AEST. So, if the last drafter picks a player at 8 pm, you will have until 2pm the following day to make your choice (i.e 8-10 = 2 hours + 8-2= remaining 6 hours). It would be highly preferable for it to be MUCH quicker than that so please PM a short preference list if you know you will be unavailable, plus you should have a sense of when your pick is approaching anyway (Please don't all send me a list- it's just for when you know you'll be unavailable)
5. If someone misses their selection, they will be assigned the next highest eligible Brownlow vote winner and the draft will continue. Once you miss selection 3 times, we'll need to find a replacement drafter.

I thinks that's it for rules. This should be a lot of fun - with lots of different strategies, preferences, focus areas, etc.

The draft:

Round 1

1. Gold Coast (WilloTree) - Lance Franklin
2. Melbourne (MarcMaverick) - Gary Ablett Jnr
3. Carlton (RUNVS) - Matthew Lloyd
4. Sydney (theasian) - Dusin Martin
5. St. Kilda (MrMeow) - Matthew Pavlich
6. Fremantle (Purple 7x08_24) - Nick Riewoldt
7. North Melbourne (Sphynx) - Chris Judd
8. Port Adelaide (whatwhatsaywhat)- Luke Hodge
9. Hawthorn (Guardian Hawk)- Dean Cox
10. Essendon (Redmanwashere)
11. Bulldogs (PhoenixBonez)
12. GWS (boncer34)
13. West Coast (ArdentEagle)
14. Collingwood (Fafge)
15. Cappadocia (reggie)
16. Brisbane (eth-dog)
17. Geelong (Lingsface)

Round 2
18. Geelong
19. Brisbane

Last edited:
I'll lock in with Freo.
I think you could make an argument for the 1994 draft as any player drafted in it would first play in 1995 but I feel like the 1993 draft is pushing it too much.
I know you can't please everyone but those two players for example are extremely well known and featured up to 2006 and 2007. I would have put both in my team

So we're starting with our current lists? is that the deal, and then refining as we bring players in?

I assume we can't pick our own players. I think at some point I'll be drafting a player and still potentially have Serong in the team.

So nearly everyone from the other draft wanted to re-participate in this one so invites will go to them first. We don't need to keep teams cos it's from scratch but most people preferred we do so we will run with the traditional teams and if you want to change your team name to something else, you are welcome to.

I have kept the same team assignments as the other thread. However, RUNVS (who started the original) would like to join this time (fair enough) and has requested Sydney. However theasian already had Sydney and requested it again. As such, it's up to you too to work it out between yourselves and let me know. Carlton (or your own team name in Carlton's place) is available. Similarly, whatwhatsaywhat has requested to change to Melbourne, who would need to work it out with MarcMaverick.

If everyone can let me know in this thread within 24 hours that they are happy to participate, we will lock you in. If anyone not currently part of it wishes to join, it is first in, first served, noting there is one "double up" available (and anybody else that may drop out).

North Melbourne Sphynx
Richmond reggie
West Coast ArdentEagle
Adelaide eth-dog
St Kilda Mr Meow
Brisbane eth-dog
Hawthorn Guardian Hawk(confirmed)
Western Bulldogs PhoenixBonez
Melbourne MarcMaverick
Gold Coast WilloTree
GWS boncer34
Fremantle Purple7x08_24 (confirmed)
Collingwood Fadge
Geelong Lingsface
Port Adelaide whatwhatsaywhat
Essendon RedmanWasHere
Carlton RUNVS (confirmed)
Sydney theasian

Please note the above is not the confirmed draft order - this will be randomised and confirmed once the participants are locked in.
Yep I'm in - cheers.

So we're starting with our current lists? is that the deal, and then refining as we bring players in?

I assume we can't pick our own players. I think at some point I'll be drafting a player and still potentially have Serong in the team.

No, this is brand new, no list, we are making a best 22.

Think it could be fun to have a rule saying we need to draft 6 of our teams former players, but that could be too hard to work, and not fair for the people who have Gold Coast and GWS.

Players like Wanganeen and Buckley miss out but clearly had a lot of impact in the 2000s.

I know mate. Any year I make it the cut off will include great players that just miss out.

In the other thread, everyone was complaining about players drafted in '99 (Enright, Chapman, Brown, Pavlich, Glass, McPharlin etc, etc).

Wanganeen won a Brownlow in '93 and Buckley won the Rising Star in the same year with the Bears. Buckley ended up coaching more games in the 2000's than he played. It's hard to know just how far back to go.

Even if I go all the way back to 1990, Wanganeen still misses out ('89 draft) and you have another bunch of guns that just miss (Matera, Jarman, etc, etc) anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No - starting from scratch - can draft whoever you like. Can call yourself the Peel Pineapples for all I care. As long as they debuted in or after 1995, you're good.

I'll lock in with Freo.

LOL this was an interesting thread

Yeah, happy for someone to take one of my sides.

I still think it should be open to anyone that wants to join fwiw.

Yeah, happy for someone to take one of my sides.

I still think it should be open to anyone that wants to join fwiw.

You thinking no limits to the number of teams? Won't it take forever that way. We're already going to have 396 picks to get through. I worry if I open it up we will end up with 1000 picks and will take until 2025.

You thinking no limits to the number of teams? Won't it take forever that way. We're already going to have 396 picks to get through. I worry if I open it up we will end up with 1000 picks and will take until 2025.
Eh. Limit it to however many you want.

Eh. Limit it to however many you want.
Lets not forget too that footy season will be over soon and I don't think it will be a bad thing to stretch it out. Keep us entertained. I'd just be happy if the picks come at a rate of 1 round for every 2-3 days.

So long as we get people setting up a 3-4 player list prior to their pick we can roll it through at a good pace.

I'm open to feedback. Was just exploring your thinking.
You're right in that you don't want too many but having the set teams means you must have 18. If only 10 sign up, you're well short. If 20, you're over. Let the guys pick their own team names if they even want one.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back