Expansion 22,118-strong crowd @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't there only a couple of thousand more at the NRL in Brisbane the previous night?

Yeah, 25500 at Lang Park the night before. However, my point is that Lions crowds are artifically inflated by a large band of non-paying Gabba Trust Members and Cricketers Club Members whereas the Broncos don't the luxury of a good crowd before they even get their first paying customer.

Pretty poor but not unexpected.

Bris vs. Coll - 33,867
Bris vs. Syd - 29,061
Bris vs. Haw – 30,019
Bris vs. Melb - 22,878
Bris vs. STK - 27,566
Bris vs. NM – 22,118

Still, only 2-3000 less then the Broncos drew on Friday Night against a high drawing NRL team (Parramatta)

A nice comparison crowd wise would be Broncos-Sharks vs. Lions-Kangaroos

Well I feel the Gabba is too expensive.

I won't be walking up, i thought about it last night, but didn't want to be overpriced again.

They charged me $40 and I had already missed a quarter against the Saints. Rip off!!!

Oh yeah that was in unlicensed too.

So F*&K the Gabba!

Low crowd can be explained by 2 factors:
1) The forcast of heavy rain that didn't eventuate
2) North Melbourne, enough said

Low crowd can be explained by 2 factors:
1) The forcast of heavy rain that didn't eventuate
2) North Melbourne, enough said

I've just come back from Subi Oval, and the only two tickets I could get were for restricted viewing at $25 per seat. Now if they were available, I would have had to cough up $42 each for normal seats. That is a rip off, and I would have to drink mid strength or bourbon & dry for $8.50.
The AFL is coming to you soon, open up your wallet !!!
It will be interesting to see how many people come to today's game, and it is against Pt Adelaide !! I reckon 36k !!

Rated reasonably in Brisbane, averaged 139,000 over 3 hours. As a comparison, a few weeks ago the Broncos were on Saturday night and averaged 169,000 in Brisbane over 2 hours.

Wow! Those are some massive numbers! :eek:

No wonder people believe that this place will be 'paying for itself' with additional TV rights revenue!

I just heard a whisper that Stokes is already writing the $1,000,000,000 cheque having heard the wonderful news!

I mean... Wow! :eek:

Wow! Those are some massive numbers! :eek:

No wonder people believe that this place will be 'paying for itself' with additional TV rights revenue!

I just heard a whisper that Stokes is already writing the $1,000,000,000 cheque having heard the wonderful news!

I mean... Wow! :eek:

Was there really any point to your post, other than to enhance the stereotype of North fans being sad, bitter people?

If you deduct the large band of non-paying Gabba Trust Members and Cricketers Club Members, what was the real crowd I wonder? Geez.

You do realise that when North Melbourne played Melbourne in Melbourne in Round 4, the attendance was only 23,427. Two Melbourne based clubs, playing in Melbourne & only 1309 more people. The fact is, the North Melbourne & Melbourne Football Clubs are a marketer's nightmare & I am sure Brisbane would be happy not to play either of them at the Gabba. Sort of like scheduling games against Souths or Penrith or even the Roosters these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty ordinary crowds, but I think its because MORE people have bought tickets to the socceroos tonight which should be a 50,000 crowd.

Add that its rained a ____load since Wednesday its pretty darn miserable to go.. and what someone else said, its a bit of a rip and the fun police ruin it too!!

22,000 isn't that bad to be fair. Not sure what the actual figure would be but considering everything it wasn't that bad. It wasn't raining like it was on Friday (Broncos v Parra) but it was still looking pretty threatening all day and there was a fair bit of rain in the morning. NRL game would have drawn 30k+ in good conditions and the Lions games would have drawn more aswell if the conditions were better.

However the big question is the GC team ability to draw anything like that. Not sure what the AFL would deem a success if in 10 years it's average crowd figures were? 10k, 15k, 20k+?

Yer Suncorp is sold out for the Australia v Iraq game aswell tonight. However I doubt that would have effected the sales of either to much if at all.

Broncos played Friday night
Big race day at Eagle Farm yesterday (Oaks day)
Lions last night
Socceroos today.

Not the greatest of scheduling.

Wasn't a big race day, weather scared everyone off, but turned out to be a great day.......pity couldn't back a winner all day.

Big weather has scared all the Brisbanites into their homes!

Wasn't a big race day, weather scared everyone off, but turned out to be a great day.......pity couldn't back a winner all day.

Big weather has scared all the Brisbanites into their homes!

Its still a big race day. All black type races. And yeah couldn't back a winner all day myself.

Should've backed Scenic Shot in the O'Shea Stakes.
That Danny Morton, he's going to be around the winners circle for a long time to come.

Its still a big race day. All black type races. And yeah couldn't back a winner all day myself.

Gabba has to change the way ticketing is done. It is so pathetic. I am sorry but the Lions are not worth the price they charge, and i believe this is part of the reason why they aren't getting the big crowds.

The Gabba itself is great, but if it the Trust, Lions, AFL or tickmaster dont organise the ticketing allocation and pricing then they will never get over 35K IMO.

In saying that I hope they get a Home Final. :p

I thought the cheaper tickets would of been up in the top tier?

OK, so I note this thread was started by a troll crowing over a crowd of 22,118 at the Gabba - against North Melbourne, who as someone noted here, are a marketer's nightmare and in average weather.

Yet thats still 10,000 more than the reigning NRL premiers, the News Ltd Storm 'attracted' in Melbourne, against the high profile Bulldogs in perfect weather conditions.

Memo to NRL trolls - better not to start debates about crowds. You will quickly be shot down.

OK, so I note this thread was started by a troll crowing over a crowd of 22,118 at the Gabba - against North Melbourne, who as someone noted here, are a marketer's nightmare and in average weather.

Yet thats still 10,000 more than the reigning NRL premiers, the News Ltd Storm 'attracted' in Melbourne, against the high profile Bulldogs in perfect weather conditions.

Memo to NRL trolls - better not to start debates about crowds. You will quickly be shot down.

This is still worth a discussion. I think the Lions are a little overpriced and should be wondering why the Gabba Trust Members are not turning up.

Broncos played Friday night
Big race day at Eagle Farm yesterday (Oaks day)
Lions last night
Socceroos today.

Not the greatest of scheduling.

....? It's not the worst either...Soccer's a one-off, and the two footy sides have played countless times on the same weekend up here...not much you can do about that...and the Reds weren't around either...

You non-Brisbanites have to factor in the rain for the low attendance...it's gotten to the point where we've been in a desert-like drought for so long, we're trying to remember exactly what it was like when Brisbane was supposedly sub-tropical! Rain is this week's biggest news item, and the forecast for a bucketting this weekend came last week...I'd back a Gabba crowd no less than the average 27000 if we all knew it would be dry last night...

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion 22,118-strong crowd @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back