Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

He had the lowest possession average in VFL this season for anyone who'd played over 10 games. Around 4.5 touches per match. He is indeed a project
Like I said, the project is getting his body to a standard for senior football.

I feel like so much of this excitement stems from his being an athlete, with decidedly little around how he actually goes as a footballer. I'd be monumentally stupid to write him off now but I frankly didn't like what I saw in either the VFL stats or the limited vision I saw of him. I think if he's a central aspect of the club's plans, that's a riskier scenario than I'd like
Your quite right zoomba23, but that's all draftee's, potential, I'd say the first 3 years the club won't even bat an eyelid, so I know its hard, but pretend he's a bear and he's going for a long sleep {hibernation}, just forget about him and let nature take its course, we got him for this very reason, forget the stats, he is a baby bear, let him grow and after a while you'll see glimpses, meaning its there but he doesn't know how to harness it quite yet, when he finally figures it out, think Grizzly.

Last edited:
Rucks, especially with a long-term investment, follow a succession plan.

Every club does it. Whilst their first choice ruck is in prime form and can contribute considerably, there needs to be an understudy in the works to take over eventually.

Goad is the successor to Xerri. Much like Xerri was the successor to Goldy and so on.

Anyone on here old enough to remember when Hamish McIntosh first arrived and we had the alignment with Port Melbourne who refused to play him because he wasn't up to VFL standard? Back then, we demanded our own VFL team so that uppity clubs like Port Melbourne couldn't refuse to develop and persist with our first round project rucks. Now that we have our own VFL team, there is nowhere for Taylor Goad to hide. This is what it looks like to develop a ruck. This is what you wanted so suck it up, snow flakes.

Anyone on here old enough to remember when Hamish McIntosh first arrived and we had the alignment with Port Melbourne who refused to play him because he wasn't up to VFL standard? Back then, we demanded our own VFL team so that uppity clubs like Port Melbourne couldn't refuse to develop and persist with our first round project rucks. Now that we have our own VFL team, there is nowhere for Taylor Goad to hide. This is what it looks like to develop a ruck. This is what you wanted so suck it up, snow flakes.
Hamish played some VFL 2s IIRC, an option that isn't currently available anymore.

Hamish played some VFL 2s IIRC, an option that isn't currently available anymore.
The equivalent for Goad was being played as a backman, out of the way of mature rucks.

And that was valid and sensible imo - none of us remember Jacob Edwards fondly, but I saw a lot of him in the VFL, mostly sat on his arse in the centre square having been monstered by mature rucks. He probably never had his heart in it, but that can't have helped - imagine Goad going up against Crossley from southport; the man's a human telephone pole, he'd break the boy like a twig

Last edited:
The equivalent for Goad was being played as a beckman, out of the way of mature rucks.

And that was valid and sensible imo - none of us remember Jacob Edwards fondly, but I saw a lot of him in the VFL, mostly sat on his arse in the centre square having been monstered by mature rucks. He probably never had his heart in it, but that can't have helped - imagine Goad going up against Crossley from southport; the man's a human telephone pole, he'd break the boy like a twig
Well yeah, and I can say from personal experience, nothing saps your enthusiasm for playing the game quite like being knocked unconscious.

Goad is a project in the sense of getting his body up to AFL level.

He's certainly not a project in the sense of the talent he showed at an underage level.

Well said, both of you. 👏🏼 🤝🏼

Would have thought we’d learnt some pretty important lessons re patience with Big X. Oh looks like we haven’t.
There's one post from the last month and a half that expresses a bit of doubt over how he might come on, and it's mine. And I was defending Xerri the whole way through. So this doesn't really check out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully he spends a bit of his own preseason holiday in the gym.
Would go a long way to shut a few of the naysayers up.

Would have thought we’d learnt some pretty important lessons re patience with Big X. Oh looks like we haven’t.
Let me tell yah a story Psicosis. Big X was picked up with pick 72. Goad was picked up with pick 20. Yah shouldn’t be coughing up pick 20 on a Project Ruck. Especially when yah take into account how Rucks really don’t win yah games. :stern look

Goad gives me Jacob Edwards vibes … sorry .
I’ve seen him live & in the VFL tv coverage…
He’s just such a giraffe
Goad to me to mentally not able to work out basic football . He stands around a lot looking but not participating . l am prepared to cut him some slack atm due to the fact that he is a tall player who will take more time in learning his craft but l dont want to be waiting around to long for it to happen. 2 more seasons for me and then thats it.

Oh we’re back in this thread are we? Which player is it going to be tomorrow that we wasted an early pick on, hasn’t come on like expected, should have picked another player instead etc.

Let me tell yah a story Psicosis. Big X was picked up with pick 72. Goad was picked up with pick 20. Yah shouldn’t be coughing up pick 20 on a Project Ruck. Especially when yah take into account how Rucks really don’t win yah games. :stern look
Been plenty of rucks picked early and before you say there forwards as well maybe Goad is s well Read suns pick 9

He was projected top 30 Adelaide were keen to take the pick following.

Every North Ruckman North has recruited over the last 20 years has been written

Goldstein
Hale
Goldstein
 Xerri

All were written off as duds in the first 18 months.

The only thing we have done well in the last 20 years is develop and gave A grade ruckmen.

I'll wait another season before throwing the toys out the cot

Unicorn GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back