AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Game is seriously screwed and the umpires / Laura Kane are further screwing it by allowing the umpires to hardly ever pay holding the ball meaning tacklers are more likely to take the player to ground. What was Harry meant to do in that instance, if anything he did his best to protect fisher, could’ve easily slung him. He won’t get off because fishers head slightly grazed the ground, if anything the jones tackle should be shown as an example of how to tackle and protect your opponent.

Ah well good opportunity for Bryan/ caddy to play

When i was watching the game I loved that sequence of pressure efforts by he and guelfi on the wing but I was also amazed that it wasn't a free against us for a dangerous tackle. Now Im equally amazed that it’s deemed bad enough for a suspension. Its hard to know what to feel when you watch your players do what you believe is the right thing, that the umpire at the time deemed was OK, and what you yourself believe will be penalised, but the MRO thinks is an abomination.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game is seriously screwed and the umpires / Laura Kane are further screwing it by allowing the umpires to hardly ever pay holding the ball meaning tacklers are more likely to take the player to ground. What was Harry meant to do in that instance, if anything he did his best to protect fisher, could’ve easily slung him. He won’t get off because fishers head slightly grazed the ground, if anything the jones tackle should be shown as an example of how to tackle and protect your opponent.

Ah well good opportunity for Bryan/ caddy to play
Holding the ball is hardly ever paid. Tackler needs to be rewarded more. Push in the back too. Obviously a directive to keep the game flowing and deter big tackles. Drives me insane!

Happy to pay tiggy touchwood frees in the forward line and ruck but a player clearly holding the ball not paid. Leigh Matthews called it out a few weeks ago.

Seen way worse than Jones one not even looked at. Would Daicos go for the same?

Holding the ball is hardly ever paid. Tackler needs to be rewarded more. Push in the back too. Obviously a directive to keep the game flowing and deter big tackles. Drives me insane!

Happy to pay tiggy touchwood frees in the forward line and ruck but a player clearly holding the ball not paid. Leigh Matthews called it out a few weeks ago.

Seen way worse than Jones one not even looked at. Would Daicos go for the same?
Nope the same way Warner wasn’t cited for the elbow. They pick on the no names and stars get a free pass

Seems if you are in contention for the Brownlow you get off. Not that I rate the Brownlow anymore.
You can elbow someone to the head and get a fine but tackle with a bit of venom and have a week off.

Christian is a running joke and if I could give him one piece of advice it would be that you were a terrible footballer and even worse administrator, it's time to give the job to Stevie Wonder who would see the game better than him.

I don't think it's the case that he doesn't see the game, there's an obvious wink wink nudge nudge when it comes to handing out penalties to players who might be a shot at winning the brownlow.

Lesser players get adjudicated in line with the rules as the AFL sets them out, stars with pull factor or who are a brownlow favourite get a degree of leniency.

You can elbow someone to the head and get a fine but tackle with a bit of venom and have a week off.

Christian is a running joke and if I could give him one piece of advice it would be that you were a terrible footballer and even worse administrator, it's time to give the job to Stevie Wonder who would see the game better than him.
has been since they gave him the role.

still boggles the mind that they think that's a good idea. one person, decided everything for the league? why even have someone do it if the decisions are going to be arbitrary

totally will be unbiased.

totally.

what a ****ing joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back