Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

You can sad face me all you want mate but I think coming for Cale in a 10 goal win is pretty low hanging fruit.
Sorry you feel that way. I comment on players post-game who piqued my interest, regardless of the outcome. I've been saying the same thing about Cale for a while.

You cheekily said you wouldn't drop him against the Crows at 'the dome'. Clearly the opposition or stadium didn't matter, like I didn't think it would. I think a couple weeks off and a freshening up would benefit him and therefore benefit the team.

On pure performance over the last few weeks he'd be in droppable territory. However we don't have a replacement among our tall or medium forwards. The only guy remotely in the race would be Bryan who is really a ruck. Although you could just play Wright in the forward line and split ruck time between Draper and Bryan which isn't so bad.
Part of Hooker's problem isn't just physical though - he's completely out of form. He's dropping marks all over the place so you know he'll get better in this area as he hasn't lost this ability.

The form aspect makes me tempted to play him against North. It'll be a 9 day break against another bottom team. Getting him into some form could be really helpful. The alternative to me is just rest him for a week.

You cheekily said you wouldn't drop him against the Crows at 'the dome'. Clearly the opposition or stadium didn't matter, like I didn't think it would. I think a couple weeks off and a freshening up would benefit him and therefore benefit the team.
Thought it was right choice to play him. Jones struggled and so did Wright, would’ve struggled more with more attention (if Hooker was out). Yes he looked glacial at times but Crows flooded their backline in weird game plan. Hooker still had four shots on goal.

Thought it was right choice to play him. Jones struggled and so did Wright, would’ve struggled more with more attention (if Hooker was out). Yes he looked glacial at times but Crows flooded their backline in weird game plan. Hooker still had four shots on goal.

And we missed him on the lead when he beat his man maybe 5 times.

He is still literally unbeatable in the air, provided we don’t kick it directly to his opponent, that counts for something

He is still literally unbeatable in the air, provided we don’t kick it directly to his opponent, that counts for something

A couple of kicks to him on the lead were ok, he just couldn’t get there. If he doesn’t get a rest this week, then he never will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can sad face me all you want mate but I think coming for Cale in a 10 goal win is pretty low hanging fruit.
It is but he is really struggling. Can not kick to him on the lead as they run past him and right now can not take a mark.

Good point …there were a few either too short or way over his head

Good point …there were a few either too short or way over his head

Hooker having quiet patches was always expected - because a lot of the value that he brings to the developing team around him is his experience, composure, motivation and lessons in motion. He is like a general that leads the battallion, pitching in while the team lifts the load until re-enforcements arrive. He was never going to be our savior and we all expected that. And that's just fine.

Say what you want about his form, but when the team is 30 points down mid-3rd qtr and the rest are feeling flat and we get a sniff, who else's hands would you want the ball to be in?

Exactly.

I had to check and refresh this a number of different times to make sure I wasn’t seeing things.

Number 1 in the AFL for ground ball gets inside 50, leads all comers, all clubs, all positions.

Not sticking marks at the moment but his follow up, his ability to take contact and dish off to try and create something is a good indication he’s still ticking over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

Back