Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll be disappointed if he leaves, but if he makes a swipe at the club or takes aim at it for not giving him opportunities, I’ll be happy to see him go.
He walked in with his illness and took extended time off, but overall reads to be hanging onto his laurels which was his u/18 year and the one playing with Rowell before it.
congratulations, you’re cherry ripe for a role in the media by spewing out that crap!

Brady saw that Richmond won its premierships with a whole bunch of light, sub 182cm players. At the time we had a lot of slow 189cm, 90kg players so he thought he'd follow what they did. The difference was that they could all play and were super fit mainly due to Peter Burge.

I'm as critical as anyone when it comes to Brady. But those draft decision fall on Glenn Luff, who had a ridiculous fascination with champion data. He thought all those smaller players representated value because of their supercoach scores. He couldn't foresee that their athletic profiles wouldn't translate that well to AFL football.

We've done it, Jordan Gysberts is just one example. And the reason he didn't make it with us, was apparently we couldn't "un-Melbourne him". Well according to those in charge at the time.

We are the biggest suckers for ex-first round draft picks.

Dylan Stephens
Aidan Bonar
Paul Ahern
Nathan Hrovat
Jared Polec
Dom Tyson
CCJ

The list is extensive and shit.

‘PICK 3s DON’T TAG’: ROO TIPPED TO DEPART ARDEN STREET

Out-of-favour North Melbourne midfielder Will Phillips is expected to be at a rival club next season.

The off-contract 22-year-old has managed just three senior games this year thus far. He has just 35 AFL matches to his name since being drafted at No. 3 overall in the 2020 national draft.

“I don’t think Will Phillips will be at North Melbourne next year,” Herald Sun journalist Sam Landsberger told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“Now, he’s in the extended squad this weekend, but he played as a tagger in the VFL last weekend.”

Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph chimed in: “He’s a pick 3. Pick 3s don’t tag.”

Phillips has averaged 23.6 disposals across seven VFL outings this year.

“Surely a pick 3 is not tagging in the VFL,” Landsberger continued.

“He was brought in to raise the standards at North Melbourne. He’s clearly not in their best 22 at the moment, and if he’s tagging in the VFL, you just can’t see how there’s a future for him there, particularly when they’re going to have another high draft pick this year — and it’s a rich draft for midfielders.”

Ralph also expects Phillips to depart the Roos, but he questioned the onballer’s ability to break into an AFL side.

“I understand that, and people tell me he’s going — ‘give me a home’,” he told Fox Footy.

“Because I look at him and I think to myself — by all accounts he’s an extraordinary bloke, great character, they picked him in a Covid year, which was always a challenge, it hasn’t been a great top-10 of that draft — but I think to myself ‘if he can’t get a game in the bottom side, where else would he get a game?’”

Phillips is a non-free agent, meaning a trade deal would need to be struck between the Roos and an acquiring club.

This is the opposite from what I've heard. He wants to stay, and wants to work hard to win his spot in the side.

Landsberger has a history of just guessing.

Tagging seems to be back in vogue this year, and the Roos have a history of turning some guys from OK players into genuine weapons when it comes to tagging - Rawlings, Jacobs, and Levi Greenwood all come to mind.

Looking at the role Shiels has been playing of late should be the blueprint for Will going forward. If he can work on that this year he could replace Shiels in that role in 2025 and beyond.

Tagging seems to be back in vogue this year, and the Roos have a history of turning some guys from OK players into genuine weapons when it comes to tagging - Rawlings, Jacobs, and Levi Greenwood all come to mind.

Looking at the role Shiels has been playing of late should be the blueprint for Will going forward. If he can work on that this year he could replace Shiels in that role in 2025 and beyond.
Shiels is superfit and playing as a Mr Fixit. Sometimes tagging, sometimes wing, sometimes dropping back to help in defense, and generally trying to help the team maintain structure. I don't see how this role suits Will at all.

I'm as critical as anyone when it comes to Brady. But those draft decision fall on Glenn Luff, who had a ridiculous fascination with champion data. He thought all those smaller players representated value because of their supercoach scores. He couldn't foresee that their athletic profiles wouldn't translate that well to AFL football.

He was not the recruiting manager though?

Agreed. I don't subscribe to the "number 3 pick shouldn't be a tagger" because a good quality tagger can win games of football. We all know how well Jacobs did when he moved over to that role. The only issue with Wilphil and that role is his height and lack of endurance. Jacobs was originally a half-back so when he was taken to the back line during a tagging role it didn't matter. It's also not like Phillips doesn't have any other strings to his bow - you don't want most taggers touching the ball and it can be an issue if the tag isn't working or you're down and need to throw caution to the wind. Phillips is tidy on the ball and win it himself.

It would show great character if Phillips was given the role and he took to it with dogged determination - working with Shiels, studying tape midweek etc. I hope he does and is rewarded with a 2 year extension. There is no way we should be cutting him loose.

Shiels is superfit and playing as a Mr Fixit. Sometimes tagging, sometimes wing, sometimes dropping back to help in defense, and generally trying to help the team maintain structure. I don't see how this role suits Will at all.
It doesn't currently suit him due to the fitness and experience gap between the two, but it could if Phillips can close that gap. I don't think he profiles as someone that is quite as versatile, but when Shiels has been moved into that hard-tag role that's something I think Will could aspire to.

We are the biggest suckers for ex-first round draft picks.

Dylan Stephens
Aidan Bonar
Paul Ahern
Nathan Hrovat
Jared Polec
Dom Tyson
CCJ

The list is extensive and shit.

Yes well you didn't need to point it out, i thought one example would have been sufficient. :p

Yeah and maybe Stephens can turn it around, but crikey when will we learn. The odds aren't stacked in our favor that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. I don't subscribe to the "number 3 pick shouldn't be a tagger" because a good quality tagger can win games of football. We all know how well Jacobs did when he moved over to that role. The only issue with Wilphil and that role is his height and lack of endurance. Jacobs was originally a half-back so when he was taken to the back line during a tagging role it didn't matter. It's also not like Phillips doesn't have any other strings to his bow - you don't want most taggers touching the ball and it can be an issue if the tag isn't working or you're down and need to throw caution to the wind. Phillips is tidy on the ball and win it himself.

It would show great character if Phillips was given the role and he took to it with dogged determination - working with Shiels, studying tape midweek etc. I hope he does and is rewarded with a 2 year extension. There is no way we should be cutting him loose.
To keep going back to someone's draft pick is irrelevant to me.
Once you're on a list, you're all equal.
Some kids mature faster than others, some take longer to physically develop, it takes some longer to "click" to the the requirements & lifestyle needed.
Pick 3 can do whatever the F the coach tells him to do just like Larkey as a pick 76 can play FF and kick 70+ goals

It's not so much being critical of Brady. At the risk of repeating an earlier post, Richmond's premiership sides included a large number of short, light players.

Prestia (175cm), Lambert (178cm), Edwards (182cm) Houli (181cm), Short (178cm), Castagna (181cm), Rioli (179cm), Baker (173cm), Bolton (176cm). All short and most less than 80kg.

Their athletic profiles obviously translated very well to AFL football in and amongst some taller, bigger bodies like Martin. The point is that short, light, agile players can excel if they have footy attributes and are fit. Richmond's brigade had them and were.

I think Sam Landsbergers visits BF, the smart money has been on this as the likely scenario for sometime. EVERY club does this, sees a guy that was taken early, and believes their club will be able to develop him.

We've done it, Jordan Gysberts is just one example. And the reason he didn't make it with us, was apparently we couldn't "un-Melbourne him". Well according to those in charge at the time.

And yeah a pick 3 becoming a tagger isn't flash and reeks of desperation.

And yes he is behind, LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, Powell, McKercher & then those capable of spending minutes in the middle. Zurhaar, Curtis & Sheezel.

It sucks for us losing pick 8 & 3 in the same year, but 100% will be the correct decision by Phillips to try and get his career going elsewhere.

Wish him all the best, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get a second rounder for him. We need the Eagle to shit the bed and get a couple of PP's that they need to trade.

Or maybe a player on the outer from one of the clubs that are showing interest would be an acceptable outcome. As many have said we don't really need more middling draft picks.
i'd bet my left nut that if west coast get PP's then they wouldn't be forced to trade them

To keep going back to someone's draft pick is irrelevant to me.
Once you're on a list, you're all equal.
Some kids mature faster than others, some take longer to physically develop, it takes some longer to "click" to the the requirements & lifestyle needed.
Pick 3 can do whatever the F the coach tells him to do just like Larkey as a pick 76 can play FF and kick 70+ goals

Totally agree with this. At AFL level, there are limited number of stars, and everyone else has to play their role regardless of where they were drafted.

The problem at the moment (along with a lot of others) is that our role players are not as good as other teams and cause our possession chains to break down. If Phillips can play a role, his neat disposal means that we have one less problem in that area.

That is just pure bullshit! He was drafted in 2020, was available for the whole 2021 season, and then had his 2022 wiped out by illness. Not his fault at all.

What evidence do you have that he is "hanging onto his laurels"? And I mean actual evidence, not Big Footy commentary.

We all know things haven't worked out for Will as he would like, that the club would like, or that we would like, yet. It may never get there for Will, but I'd be amazed if he is doing anything other than working as hard as he can to get better and find a role in the team where he can thrive.

Making shit up is just counterproductive.
Everyone is clinging to this perception that Will works hard. However, since being drafted he doesn't seem to have made significant improvements to any aspect of his game or even got fit enough to play his preferred (and seemingly only) position.

If he was working hard, we'd see clear improvement after four years. I think we should put this one to bed. From the evidence, his work ethic is more Curtis Taylor than Clayton Oliver.

Everyone is clinging to this perception that Will works hard. However, since being drafted he doesn't seem to have made significant improvements to any aspect of his game or even got fit enough to play his preferred (and seemingly only) position.

If he was working hard, we'd see clear improvement after four years. I think we should put this one to bed. From the evidence, his work ethic is more Curtis Taylor than Clayton Oliver.

The reality is that he hasn't had four years in the system. He missed the entire 2022 season with illness. An illness that meant for an extended period he couldn't train at all. That probably meant he arrived at the pre-season for 2023 with less conditioning than he had on his first day at the club. He is more like a second-year player.

The reality is that he hasn't had four years in the system. He missed the entire 2022 season with illness. An illness that meant for an extended period he couldn't train at all. That probably meant he arrived at the pre-season for 2023 with less conditioning than he had on his first day at the club. He is more like a second-year player.
I agree that he has some excuses, but not enough to explain where he currently sits. I used the Oliver reference before because there were bigger knocks on his fitness when he was drafted. He was overweight and couldn't run out of sight on a dark night. In about a year he turned himself into one of game's hardest running midfielders. I suspect Will does everything the coaches ask of him at training, but little thankless running when nobody is watching. It is either that, or he just isn't capable.

Nobody uses pick 3 to select a tagger (partly because they don't tag in the Coates League) but it's idiotic to say that no pick 3 should ever be used as a tagger. Once they're within the 4 walls of the footy club, the pick they were taken should be irrelevant and coaches should use them however they best serve the team. If that's tagging, then have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back