Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm told It was Phillips who initiated the call to sub him. He was cramping up badly. This information was via one of our assistant coaches.
I take your posts as gospel and this makes the posts since last night look a touch hyperbolic and hysterical.

Clarkson was defending the player publicly by not relaying that. Good on him.
And the “we were fatiguing” also took personal heat away from Will.

He wasn't injured. It was tactical. And it was a mistake.

Are you sure?

Edit: sorry for picking this one out, there were dozens to choose from in the hours following the game. But I'm more inclined to believe what giantroo posted this evening than all the speculation that it was a monumental coaching f***-up.

So the lowdown is … Will had a corkie, cramped, had no bench time due to the way the rotations worked and the handover with Tucker was getting loose. He was gassed with no breaks. That’s why. Didn’t have the tank to go with him and didn’t get the break from the midfield that Daicos got when he went forward in the third.

I’ve heard similar to those above.

Season 18 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm told It was Phillips who initiated the call to sub him. He was cramping up badly. This information was via one of our assistant coaches.
They showed him on the bench and he appeared to be gesturing to his hamstrings. Not surprised by this at all.

He was absolutely cooked and put the team first.

Lot of blokes in his position would have tried to push through and cement a spot in the team.

His decision and honesty will stand him in very very good stead.

And the “we were fatiguing” also took personal heat away from Will.

It was also true. We aren't as fit as Collingwood. Wardlaw certainly fatiguing too

It was also true. We aren't as fit as Collingwood. Wardlaw certainly fatiguing too
Wardlaw was cooked by late in the game.

here's the thing. Before he was subbed Will had played over 90% of game time. I thought it was the wrong decision at the time but on reflection it obviously wasn't.

Wardlaw was cooked by late in the game.

here's the thing. Before he was subbed Will had played over 90% of game time. I thought it was the wrong decision at the time but on reflection it obviously wasn't.
Especially as it became clear that Collingwood was employing tactics to break the tag in the third quarter such as pushing Daicos forward rather than rotating him off the ground so Will had to stay on the whole time, running himself ragged to 3/4 time.

The fitness level of most of our players is nowhere near good enough.

Do we keep drafting players who can’t run (or kick for that matter) or are our training standards that inadequate?

This just has to be fixed. I can’t believe it is still an issue after spending 5 years down the bottom of the ladder. And it being obvious that we have never been fit enough.

Need to keep him in the tagging role all year.
Sheils will leave end of 2024 and it'll be good to have someone to cover.
Phillips struggles when he's relied upon to do multiple things on field, similar to a corr who does well when he focuses on a single player instead of covering 3.
There's a role for him there, just needs continuity.
Make it happen before he leaves at the end of the year.

I have no doubt that the tagging is just a way to get him in the side every week when there might not be room in the midfield rotation otherwise. He already showed this weekend that he can use that role to be damaging the other way, and with time I'm sure he'll just play as a midfielder. Hopefully that's how it's been pitched to him, and he's not considering throwing his career away at Richmond.

Especially as it became clear that Collingwood was employing tactics to break the tag in the third quarter such as pushing Daicos forward rather than rotating him off the ground so Will had to stay on the whole time, running himself ragged to 3/4 time.

Yes, Macrae coached very well after half time - managing the Daicos tag, McReery to LDU and Tinarse to the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back