2nd/3rd Tier Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys are so wrong about Kerr. His value is awesome.

I think he does represent good value, but he is at an really awkward price, at 340k I would be looking for a player thats going to have a break out year and average 96+. IMO Kerr at best will average 90-92, but if you want to have a punt on him good luck to you :thumbsu:

With his value comes the risks, as long as you're willing to accept those risks then by all means pick him.

Averages - 75.5, 81, 92.9, 76.6
Durability - 19, 18, 17, 11

Now the problem with Kerr is if you select him, you're selecting him to be a keeper. First question you will ask is, can he average enough to be considered a keeper and the answer is yes, as shown in 2007 (92.9).
The next question is, how likely to play 22 games is Kerr? Well your guess is as good as mine, but I would almost say there is only a 5-10% chance of this happening.
If he raises his average to 90ppg and only plays 18 games, you would be better off getting someone that averages 85 and plays all 22 games.
His price is just under 340k. At that price, why would he have to be a keeper? What I'm hoping for is that he increases to the point where I can use 1-1.5 trades to switch him for an underpriced DT superstar.

You'd have a hard time finding, at that price, a player that will avg 85 for 22 games in the mids.

I think he does represent good value, but he is at an really awkward price, at 340k I would be looking for a player thats going to have a break out year and average 96+. IMO Kerr at best will average 90-92, but if you want to have a punt on him good luck to you :thumbsu:
Very few players average 96+. I think you're expectations are a little high.

Looks at 3rd/4th year players.

Plenty have been punted around J. Selwood, Boak, Gibbs to name 3

All 3 are far more expensive. That's why Kerr = value.

Gibbs is probably overrated by many in terms of value. He is already very expensive and might return to a more negating role this season.

Selwood is also already highly priced at above 400k. Not much room to move there.

Boak is an interesting one.

as a 3rd or mid
I like the value of hasleby of 257 800

he can ave 90 and did ave 83 in 2007 so if he CAN STAY HEALTHY (being the key words) he would be an obvious and good pick up and a potential keeper

what do you guys think?

Awesome thread guys!, great discussion going on....keep it up :thumbsu:!

Ryan Griffen
Price - $344,200
Avgs - 67, 55, 77.5
Durability - 22, 10, 21

Great player but so far has seemed to have been a better player than DTer. If he could up his average to 90+ it would be a great pickup. He was fairly inconsistant in his scores last year but showed his potential with 6 games over 90. He is only 22 years old and has showed he is a great player but just needs to increase his possessions. With West retired a fair bit of extra time in the midfield is available even though he missed a lot of time last year. I'm not sure what his preseason has been like but if he's had a good one then he has the potential to jack his avg up a bit.

Griffin has had a great pre-season. He has bulked up abit and is running well in the time trials. I expect him to step it up this year...although that has been said about him before.

IMO he is very close to being a great Dter, the only thing he lacks abit is getting the pill on a consistent bases, alot of the time he can go missing. But when he fires, he fires!

I have him on my team as a unique and risky pick. I will monitor him closely in the NAB cup games to see if anything has changed from last year and if he is worth the punt. Same goes with alot of my players actually...

as a 3rd or mid
I like the value of hasleby of 257 800

he can ave 90 and did ave 83 in 2007 so if he CAN STAY HEALTHY (being the key words) he would be an obvious and good pick up and a potential keeper

what do you guys think?

Not sure he is a keeper, in fact i don't think he is. It isn't easy to come back from a knee injury and by all reports he hasn't be in the greatest shape with regards to his speed and movement (though he wasn't all that great before). He is also supposedly going to play across half back a fair bit so not totally sure if this will hinder his scores but an average of 65 - 70 is what i'd expect from him. Not keeper material in the centres and personally not sure if he'll be in my team or not. I'm looking forward to seeing him play against the Tigers and whether he is capable of production that would warrant me selecting him. By no means is he a lock that it seems some people think he is.

All 3 are far more expensive. That's why Kerr = value.

Gibbs is probably overrated by many in terms of value. He is already very expensive and might return to a more negating role this season.

Selwood is also already highly priced at above 400k. Not much room to move there.

Boak is an interesting one.

Lets not forget that Kerr will Incur the number 1 tagger almost ever week as he's most damaging midfielder west coast have, unless you count Cox. This adds to the concern of making or breaking tags and unless your Gary Ablett it is almost a certainly to effect his scores in some way or another.

Gibbs, Selwood and Boak however will almost never incur the wrath of the number 1 tagger as they are considered 3-4 places down the pecking order as far as gun midfielders in there prospective teams are concerned.

Kerr history with the tribunal has also not been a positive one nor his injury history to boot whereas Selwood and Gibbs and to a degree Boak have been initially injury free and have youth on there side, hence you expect a gradual rise in scores as they build to 25-27 years of age.

I’m not sure why Gibbs would be revert to a defensive role when Walker should be right to play in the first few weeks of regular season and who is sure to be given the task of tagging dangerous opponents.

Personally I would prefer to come up with the extra $60,000 and play the safe option of downgrading another midfielder to Haselby, Coughlan or Swallow who represent much better value for money and spending the remaining money on a Gibbs. Selwood, Boak type. But Dreamteam is a game of chance after all and sometimes it’s better win or lose on your own ideas and merits.

However if you want to do yourself a favour Listen to what Skandanker, banana bus, Stormer, Ausyid, ederous, dazza wyatt and a couple of the other regulars have to say. You don’t do as well as what they do without knowing a few things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what would you say about getting judd over gibbs selwood or boak.
I know Judd will always get the number one tag, but if he is fully healthy he is Arguably better than g,ablett and could ave 100-105 he ave 85.1 and 82.7 recovering from an injury so is he a better pick up than gibbs selwood or boak

Wish people would read through the threads, this is like the 10th time ive said this - judd would have to play outside to average that! If he plays inside, like he has in 4/5 last seasons, he will average around 85 again, like he has in 4/5 of he last seasons!

Very few players average 96+. I think you're expectations are a little high.

Yeah that's probably fair enough, just reckon with the mids your going to need nearly all your guys averaging high 90's (if you want to be well into the top 100 by years end) just think that Kerr isn't capable of that, so IMO its probaly more worthwhile to pick either a much cheaper player (like Coughlan) who apprecaites in value a bit then trade him out for a premium mid, or pick a guy around Kerrs price that could have a breakout year and average 100+

Really comes down to your strategy and what you think the player is capable of scoring

Looking at Tuck as a 2nd tier midfielder esp after his last half of the year. Only thing is that is he going to be freed from his tagging role all year? Does richmond even have any other taggers? I can't really think of one at the mo.

your thoughts?

Here is a name:

Ben McGlynn
Durability: 4, 22, 3
Averages: 81.5, 75.8, 77.3

Ben McGlynn is Midfield/Forward, and priced at $274500, he presents great value, and being named as a forward as well helps. Also shown he can average in the 80's(albeit only for 4 games), and has played 22 games in a season (not sure what happened in 06, but in 08 I think there just wasnt a spot for him) The question over him is is he in the best 22? With Crawf's retirement, that leaves one player to get into the team. Could this be Mcglynn? Time will tell..

Wish people would read through the threads, this is like the 10th time ive said this - judd would have to play outside to average that! If he plays inside, like he has in 4/5 last seasons, he will average around 85 again, like he has in 4/5 of he last seasons!

Before his injury, when he was at his very best at the WCE he played very much as an outside mid, running and carrying at every opportunity he got and was more damaging than the inside hard-ball get type play he adopted during his first season at the Blues last year. What's often ignored is why he had to drop his old style of play - due to his ongoing recovery of the groin surgery he had during the pre-season of 08'.

Now that he is fully fit and had time for his groin to recover completely (thanks to the ongoing rehabilitation from Twiggers no doubt!:D), i can almost guarantee he'll be back to his best this season, since he'll be adopting his run and carry game once more; when he was unarguably at his Brownlow best.

He's even hinted he'll being doing so himself:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ca...ore-this-season/2009/01/16/1231608960610.html

Ah well, it's just my opinion, but i'm confident he'll reward me. :thumbsu::D

Here is a name:

Ben McGlynn
Durability: 4, 22, 3
Averages: 81.5, 75.8, 77.3

Ben McGlynn is Midfield/Forward, and priced at $274500, he presents great value, and being named as a forward as well helps. Also shown he can average in the 80's(albeit only for 4 games), and has played 22 games in a season (not sure what happened in 06, but in 08 I think there just wasnt a spot for him) The question over him is is he in the best 22? With Crawf's retirement, that leaves one player to get into the team. Could this be Mcglynn? Time will tell..

Players with job security issues such as McGlynn do raise an interesting dilemma when selecting your starting lineup. In a lot of ways these guys are very similar to injury prone players in that you are always on edge hoping they will be selected and will stay in the team, often relying on other players being injured for this to happen. McGlynn for example will be fighting with 3-4 others for 1 position so the risk is always present. Similar in a lot of ways to a Ben Ross or Andrew Raines, just on the edge of the 22.

My biggest concern with both injury risks and selection risk players is they create a forced trade at a time not suitable to the coach. If a player can be traded at the time of your choice you can offload them after a solid 3-4 week run at an inflated price with an upgrade target in mind. If a player is dropped or injured you have this forced on you at an unsuitable time where they are low priced as they have not been playing well or didn't score through injury.

The one thing that is great in DT is when you control your trading strategy rather than having it forced on you.

Looking at Tuck as a 2nd tier midfielder esp after his last half of the year. Only thing is that is he going to be freed from his tagging role all year? Does richmond even have any other taggers? I can't really think of one at the mo.

your thoughts?
I think the general consensus is that jackson will be the richmond taggger this year. I am very interested in tuck now. Im starting to doubt gibbs a little for some reason, i think eveyrone has jumped on, and that just puts me off a little, though gibbs had promising under 16s numbers (shows he is a ball winner) and averaged 100.56 over last 9 rounds.

But theres others! Tuck averaged 109 over last 12! Van berlo averaged 98 after round 7 (excluding the 2 he scored against sydney)! Sewell averaged 109 over last 5 including finals. All very good numbers IMO, and i think a few of these will end up averaging 95-100. Question is, which ones.

I think tuck could take that next step - 109 over last 12 is OUTSTANDING and shouldnt receive a tag with cousins, foley and deledio all in line for that too. In fact, i think richmonds midfield could soon be a powerhouse, with them all scoring very well.

Van Berlo has had a great preseason, and is underpriced due to that 2 against sydney (would of averaged 89) in which he was knocked out early and didnt take any further part in the match. Averaged highly, over a very prolonged preiod of time (15 rounds).

Sewell, not so much, as his high scoring was only over 5 rounds, but still potential.

Gibbs, im just a bit worried about his youth and inexperience. Maybe used as a tagger too? That game he played against goodes, i will never ever ever forget. Was outstanding! Also alot of people jumping on without alot of though IMO, though he did finish the season very strongly, and is in a soon to be powerhouse midfield like carlton.

You can look at it that way. Or you can look at it another way.

In 2006 he averaged 100.3 with a relatively uninterrupted season. For the last two he has played at two different clubs, two different roles, with a groin injury hampering his performances and still managed to average 85. If you listen to the reports he is back to full fitness and ready to remind everyone why he was regarded as the best going around.

I am not totally convinced either though I am almost certain that his average will be over 90, perhaps closer to 100, injury permitting.

"In two different roles"

Not saying he cant, im just saying, he has to play outside to average 95+ IMO

Yeh he might average 90 playing inside, but if i picked a player priced at 85, i would hope for bigger improvement than 5ppg.

Before his injury, when he was at his very best at the WCE he played very much as an outside mid, running and carrying at every opportunity he got and was more damaging than the inside hard-ball get type play he adopted during his first season at the Blues last year. What's often ignored is why he had to drop his old style of play - due to his ongoing recovery of the groin surgery he had during the pre-season of 08'.

Now that he is fully fit and had time for his groin to recover completely (thanks to the ongoing rehabilitation from Twiggers no doubt!:D), i can almost guarantee he'll be back to his best this season, since he'll be adopting his run and carry game once more; when he was unarguably at his Brownlow best.

He's even hinted he'll being doing so himself:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ca...ore-this-season/2009/01/16/1231608960610.html

Ah well, it's just my opinion, but i'm confident he'll reward me. :thumbsu::D

Yes, but the problem is that in that 2006 year he averaged 2.6 marks per game (and has never averaged more than 3 marks per game). I don't see that changing. Which means just about everything else has to go his way (as it did in that magical 2006 year) for him to be a DT star. In 2006 he had one of the best midfields ever assembled around him, and played in a dominant team which meant he could get forward and kick 29 goals for the season. He also averaged 5 tackles per game.

Now I'm not saying he won't be very good again in DT, and will probably be better than his 85 average. How good will he be... time will tell.

Compare this with Dane Swan who averaged 6.8 marks per game last year. Just means Swan doesn't have to pull those big numbers in other categories to be a DT star.

Similar to Judd is Black - averaged 26 possessions last year (pretty much the same as Judd in his 2006 year) but because only averaged 3 marks per game, had a DT average of 90.

Basically, what I'm saying is that betting on Judd being a DT star is betting on him kicking 30 goals for the year and averaging 27 possessions and 5 tackles per game. I'm not sure if that will happen.

"In two different roles"

Not saying he cant, im just saying, he has to play outside to average 95+ IMO

Yeh he might average 90 playing inside, but if i picked a player priced at 85, i would hope for bigger improvement than 5ppg.

In 2007 Judd was restricted by his groin to such an extent that he was played in the Eagles forward line for a number of games IIRC. They cant have had a good effect on his scores though I dont have any data from those games to confirm my suspicion.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd/3rd Tier Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back