Past #31: David Hale - drafted at #7 in the Superdraft - 129 games for NM - traded to HFC in 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to let us know. :thumbsu:

Hope springs eternal. ;)

Umm, that much I knew!

To be honest, Geelong would have little interest in Hale. They have enough inept ruckmen as it is and as pointed out, and I'm sure you're well aware they're not likely to part with Mackie types. We don't really need/want him anyway.

So that means Melbourne are trying to get Hale (a former top 10) for pick 31.

Hale is the equivalent of buying Telstra shares but without the dividend.

I hope GC want him.

17, 26, 34 is better than 17, 31, 34.

What makes you say Melbourne want him with pick 31?

They have no chance of landing him with anything other than a 1st round pick, and rightly so.

Hale would be 1st ruckman at 3-4 other clubs and 2nd ruckman at half the clubs in the competition.

They have no chance of landing him with anything other than a 1st round pick, and rightly so.

Hale would be 1st ruckman at 3-4 other clubs and 2nd ruckman at half the clubs in the competition.
First round pick for someone of his talent? Direct swap for the boot studder. Hopefully goes to the gold coast!

Hale has never played as a 1st Ruckman

he played 12 games this year

you are not getting a first round draft pick for a player you don't need

Interesting.

"But the emerging Demons will have to beat potential offers from other interested parties, including Gold Coast and Hawthorn, for the Queenslander."

Hopefully GC are in the market. They've got plenty to spend if they like what they see.

See, I like you TPM, but this highlights that you do not know what you are talking about.

These things are all relative.

1. Hale would be 1st ruck at 3-4 other clubs.
2. Hale would be in the best 2 rucks of half the clubs in the competition.
3. Therefore, the fact that he can't break in to our best 2 rucks is irrelevant when pricing his worth.

Personally, if we could only get a pick >25ish, then I would prefer to keep him.

Yes he has and been very good. Then Hille smashed his head open, McIntosh took his chance when he got the opportunity and Laidley started on his doomed experiment to play Hale as an FF.

There's also the the Goldstein factor. Goldstein is one of the best young ruck prospects going and IMO the best young tap prospect. If we didn't have Goldy, Hale would be playing 22 games a year.

And the 'for a player you don't need' argument doesn't stack up. If clubs do feel they need him, they'll pay.

I reckon pick 26 from the GC. But wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooool

"Technically" the lions didnt NEED Daniel Bradshaw during last years trade period (what with having gun Forward Brown), Yet they got a deal done that saw them obtain Fevola (bad year yes, but he has the ability to kick 100 in a season).

Where Hale sits in regard to North is irrelevant when pricing is done, North gets barely any love from the commentators but when we do its usually a comment such as "North has probably THE best young up and coming ruck combination" or something to that effect.

Hale does not work as a FF (consistantly that is, hes too sporadic) so the only reason we'd retain him is as second ruck... and the way that Goldstein plays not only in the ruck but around the ground means Hale has about as much luck as a cow in an abattoir.

I would be more than happy to do a straight swap with the dees Hale for nathan jones he wants out so this could be our chance 2 swoop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh dear God, a 1st round pick for David Hale? Are you high? Unless you're throwing in a Ziebell, Bastinac or Cunnington then you've got no chance (and rightfully so) of getting a 1st round pick.

I would be more than happy to do a straight swap with the dees Hale for nathan jones he wants out so this could be our chance 2 swoop

A 22 year old hard nut that still has a very good scope for improvement for a 26 year old ruckman who spent half the season in the reserves and who should be in the prime of his career.

Pass.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As we saw yesterday Hale would've been better than at least two ruckman playing in the GF and would've matched anything Dawes did in the fwd line (blindfolded).

The issue of him not getting a game at North as a ruck doesn't take away from his value at another club unfortunately for those vying for his services.

The other major issue with say pick 31 is up tp 10 players could be taken vis compensationary picks because of players leaving for the Coast.So pick 31 may have a real value of say 41!!- that isn't going to get the job done I'd reckon.Correct me if I'm wrong on that?

As it stands it seems that Hale is getting a lot of interest which as we all know that puts up his value.- Good for us and that's the main thing.

I believe Freo and Tarrant may hold the key- honestly even the Hale haters would have to admit he's a better option than that sh!tmen from Collingwood- 'simmering' Josh Fraser.

Oh dear God, a 1st round pick for David Hale? Are you high? Unless you're throwing in a Ziebell, Bastinac or Cunnington then you've got no chance (and rightfully so) of getting a 1st round pick.

He won't be going to Melbourne anyway, so the point is moot.

A 22 year old hard nut that still has a very good scope for improvement

Jones has bugger all upside.

for a 26 year old ruckman who spent half the season in the reserves and who should be in the prime of his career.

Again, you're clueless.

I have no idea as to why Melbourne is entertaining moving Jones on in the first place. It's not as if you are overendowed with hard inside midfielders. If I was a Dees supporter I would be looking very much to keeping him and adding another 1 or 2 of his ilk to the list.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooool

"Technically" the lions didnt NEED Daniel Bradshaw during last years trade period (what with having gun Forward Brown), Yet they got a deal done that saw them obtain Fevola (bad year yes, but he has the ability to kick 100 in a season).

Where Hale sits in regard to North is irrelevant when pricing is done, North gets barely any love from the commentators but when we do its usually a comment such as "North has probably THE best young up and coming ruck combination" or something to that effect.

Hale does not work as a FF (consistantly that is, hes too sporadic) so the only reason we'd retain him is as second ruck... and the way that Goldstein plays not only in the ruck but around the ground means Hale has about as much luck as a cow in an abattoir.

im fairly certain hale has never played a season as first ruckman??? is that wrong??

or are you counting maybe 4-5 games a season as him being a 1st ruck???

they lions didn't need bradshaw??? sure, when they got fevola they didn't, bradshaw has been a key performer in lions sides for the best part of 7 years

yeah north have a lot of great young rucks coming through, particularly goldstein... which is exactly why you won't get a good price for Hale, if you are putting him up for trade, don't expect clubs to be giving you 1st round options for Hale, that is ridiculous

hale can be very effective as a 2nd ruck, as shown when he kicked 37 goals and averaged 11 hitouts in 07' i think???

but there is NO WAY you are getting a first round pick for a player who only played 12 games this year, the gold coast would probably much rather a player like jacobs with pick 16, who has shown great talent as a 1st Ruck.

TPM, I don't think anyone is stating the Hale will gain a certain 1st round pick, but if Melbourne want him, he will definitely cost them their 1st round pick.

GC at pick 26 hold the cards.

If Melbourne don't put the 1st rounder on the table then he will not be a Melbourne player.

He won't be going to Melbourne anyway, so the point is moot.

Thank God for that.

Jones has bugger all upside.

He actually has quite a bit of improvement left in him.

Again, you're clueless.

Says the man who thinks David Hale is worth a first round pick.

I have no idea as to why Melbourne is entertaining moving Jones on in the first place. It's not as if you are overendowed with hard inside midfielders. If I was a Dees supporter I would be looking very much to keeping him and adding another 1 or 2 of his ilk to the list.

Melbourne aren't looking at moving Jones, it was Nathan who is considering his options and in saying that I believe he won't go anywhere.

The most hitouts Hale has averaged in any year is 11. To put it into perspective, Jamar averaged 29 this year. If Hale played as a first ruck in 2006, which was the year he averaged 11, then he's a very poor tap ruckman.

I don't want the spud, so am hoping that Melbourne's interest is lukewarm.

As for Jones ? I'm not a fan. I hope we keep him for a year, or two, but he won't be part of our first choice midfield when/if we're a genuine challenger. He doesn't get enough of it and doesn't make great decisions. He's not a quick thinker and lacks hurt factor. He's a C grader.

TPM, I don't think anyone is stating the Hale will gain a certain 1st round pick, but if Melbourne want him, he will definitely cost them their 1st round pick.

GC at pick 26 hold the cards.

If Melbourne don't put the 1st rounder on the table then he will not be a Melbourne player.

that seems a more reasonable line of thought, however i doubt we will give our first pick up for Hale, we still set high store in drafting youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #31: David Hale - drafted at #7 in the Superdraft - 129 games for NM - traded to HFC in 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back