AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched the replay. I noticed Ben had about 4 efforts over the game where he had to back into the contest to either take the mark or kill the contest. Those sorts of contests you know you are going to cop it but it didn’t stop him from doing the same thing the next time. You could see he got crunched a couple of times too. Played a good big man’s game.
I don't expect him to do it but he regularly does put himself in harms way - has been crunched heaps of times this year. Last year I remember he pulled out of a contest to not hurt an opponent. Very fair and brave player. Loved how he clunked that mark from WHE - made him look like a little boy.

Funny how he was one of our best on ground yet knowone has commented on his own thread. Has been great for us this year.

Was daylight between him and 2nd best (Duursma?) for mine.

I actually thought he dropped off there a bit for a few weeks, but his last two games have been unbelievable.

Hopefully gets a top 5 B&F finish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His last month he has butchered the footy by hand. Reminds me of Hooker. Hated the ball in his hands for a lot of his career. Now find myself cringing when McKay gets the ball.

Interesting the Champion Data nerds on SEN last night commented that he’s below average in terms of winning defensive contests.

He is a very good intercept mark.

The talk when he arrived was that he could play on gorillas and take a lot of defensive responsibility off Ridley.

The reality may be that he’s far more similar to Ridley than they thought.

Interesting the Champion Data nerds on SEN last night commented that he’s below average in terms of winning defensive contests.

The talk when he arrived was that he could play on gorillas and take a lot of defensive responsibility off Ridley.

I don’t have a lot of faith in those defensive 1v1 stats. You look at them and think they tell the story of how he’s gone 1v1 under a high ball but in reality I’m fairly sure it captures a much broader range of contests.

SAw this too but i think that these stats are a bit skewed because of the fact that we dont get a high volume of inside 50s against, but rather quality entries when our f50 pressure collapses and the opposition team gets an easy counter attack 1 on 1s. Hes definitely capable as a 1 on 1 defender, and i think we can all agree hes better than Zerk. But our defensive structure is based around avoiding 1 on 1s as much as possible so when they inevitbly happen were screwed.

He needs to download google maps just to find out where he is sometimes. If his opponent hasn't led him to the ball he doesn't know where to be, or worse still if they take him up the ground then lose him in traffic he just gets totally lost.

What he needs to do is watch tapes of Steven May. Dosent matter what happens he is on the shoulder of the last man, no matter what happens, everything is playing out Infront of him.

This is where McKay needs to be to play to his marking strength

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back