Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

His kicking is not good but it won't be the only thing keeping him out of the side.

He needs to be laying 4+ tackles a game and adding heaps of pressure around the ground. His kicking would be forgiven (like it is for 50% of our list) if he had any sort of physical impact on games.

Yes his kicking is definitely a problem. Hardly any composure at all in tight and tricky situations. His kicking will be a very big factor in why he won't be a regular in the team. Shame because we could really use his pace in the middle.

We have major issues with many on our list with kicking.

Some can't kick short , some cant kick long, others just can't kick.

I.e David Myers. Excellent penetration in kicking, not a great long kick, and Dyson heppell gives it too much elevation.

We lack two or three players that slice opposition open with footskills. Goddard will help in that department.

Colyer will need to improve this really soon or be back in the WAFL next year.

I think he has plenty of talent, just a shocking kick

Myers and Baguley are next to go
I lol'd. That's why Myers hasn't played in the VFL under Hird yeah? Also why Baguley got promoted off the Rookie List?

I lol'd. That's why Myers hasn't played in the VFL under Hird yeah? Also why Baguley got promoted off the Rookie List?

Myers hasn't played in the VFL under Hird and Colyer hasn't played in the midfield. Yet you'll use the fact that Colyer hasn't played midfield as definitive proof that he's not fit enough to play midfield. O'Brien hasn't played midfield - is his tank too small?

You're full of shit.

Myers hasn't played in the VFL under Hird and Colyer hasn't played in the midfield. Yet you'll use the fact that Colyer hasn't played midfield as definitive proof that he's not fit enough to play midfield. O'Brien hasn't played midfield - is his tank too small?

You're full of shit.
I'm full of shit for saying that Myers isn't the next guy to go from our list because he hasn't played in the VFL? No, that's just common sense.

Colyer needs to improve his tank, this is from the people who watched Bendigo in the past 2 years that I know. Get off your high horse, you're as arrogant as James Magnussen

I'm full of shit for saying that Myers isn't the next guy to go from our list because he hasn't played in the VFL? No, that's just common sense.

Colyer needs to improve his tank, this is from the people who watched Bendigo in the past 2 years that I know. Get off your high horse, you're as arrogant as James Magnussen

No, you're full of shit for using facts to argue opposite things.

You said Colyer needs to improve his tank because he hasn't played a full game in the midfield. I'll ask you again, do Carlisle and Hardingham and O'Brien need to improve their tanks? Because they've never player a full game in the midfield either.

No, you're full of shit for using facts to argue opposite things.

You said Colyer needs to improve his tank because he hasn't played a full game in the midfield. I'll ask you again, do Carlisle and Hardingham and O'Brien need to improve their tanks? Because they've never player a full game in the midfield either.
Colyer needs to improve his tank because he needs to play midfield to be successful IMO, and he plays as a small forward under Hird, or as the sub. He is alright as a small forward if he spends brief minutes in there while mostly rotating through the midfield, but he doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be great if Colyer can develop into an AFL level mid because we could really use his pace. He just covers the ground so well. I don't really have any issues with anything athletically such as not having a good enough engine. My issue is, can he get enough of it? and then can he use it? 2 pretty big queries though.

Not a midfielder.
Not a midfielder.
Not a midfielder.
Not a midfielder.
A midfielder.

How do you establish that?

I'd say the fact that none of them play midfield in the AFL would mean that none of them are midfielders, but maybe that's just me.

I reckon this kid will prove lots wrong.

In Knights last year, his first, his second half of the year was very good.

I still think he is better than Melksham. Melksham has been given more opportunity, but colyer's best games, have been better than Melksham IMO.

I reckon this kid will prove lots wrong.

In Knights last year, his first, his second half of the year was very good.

I still think he is better than Melksham. Melksham has been given more opportunity, but colyer's best games, have been better than Melksham IMO.
In no way, shape or form has Colyer been better than Melksham. People have goldfish memories because Melk stagnated last season when we all thought he would do a Zaka-like 2011, and in the end he just stagnated in his development due to putting on too much weight too quickly.

Has Colyer ever put on a MOTM against the eventual premiers that year, when Essendon was under immense pressure and won the game? I didn't think so... He's been a flash in the pan with a couple of match-winning performances (Port Adelaide in 2011 springs to mind) but has been shit the rest of the time.

In no way, shape or form has Colyer been better than Melksham. People have goldfish memories because Melk stagnated last season when we all thought he would do a Zaka-like 2011, and in the end he just stagnated in his development due to putting on too much weight too quickly.

Has Colyer ever put on a MOTM against the eventual premiers that year, when Essendon was under immense pressure and won the game? I didn't think so... He's been a flash in the pan with a couple of match-winning performances (Port Adelaide in 2011 springs to mind) but has been shit the rest of the time.

Colyer's best games have been when we have been flogged.

The le cras game springs to mind of a game colyer was great in, and the rest of the side stunk it up.

Melksham has played good games when the rest of the side are "up and about".

I go week in week out. Melksham is a lazy, has an attitude problem but has great "potential".... That word actually means sweet FA

The le cras game springs to mind of a game colyer was great in, and the rest of the side stunk it up.

I go week in week out. Melksham is a lazy, has an attitude problem but has great "potential".... That word actually means sweet FA
The difference between Colyer and Melksham is significant. Colyer has 1 good game in 8/9 games and stinks it up the rest of the time, where as Melksham plays 1 good game in 5, and the others are usually solid contributions.

Melksham's 2011 game against Geelong>everything Colyer has produced. Combined.

Funny, a young player performs well when the side does well. That's very interesting considering 95% of the time that's when young players do well.

Do you know Jake? And I must admit I lol'd about the laziness and attitudinal problems as your reason. From what I've seen and heard Trav is far lazier than Melk.

do you think maybe we were up because melksham was having a good game eg cats game 2011

Agree with TT.

Colyer's best games have been better than Melksham's best games - Bar the Geelong game which melky has never got close to again.

But this is a massive year for Colyer - He needs to play 12+ games to keep his name on the list.

The difference between Colyer and Melksham is significant. Colyer has 1 good game in 8/9 games and stinks it up the rest of the time, where as Melksham plays 1 good game in 5, and the others are usually solid contributions.

Melksham's 2011 game against Geelong>everything Colyer has produced. Combined.

Funny, a young player performs well when the side does well. That's very interesting considering 95% of the time that's when young players do well.

Do you know Jake? And I must admit I lol'd about the laziness and attitudinal problems as your reason. From what I've seen and heard Trav is far lazier than Melk.

Sorry not disputing nor agreeing with you here as I dont get the opportunity to watch the train, etc.. but just curious what indication and evidence you have towards making this call?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back