Player Watch #33: Brayden 'Sausage' George - re-signed until end of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

He got up relatively quickly if it's a knee. Hopefully just an awkward landing and he's alright.

Can happen particularly when it's not your first and particularly when it's a graft tear. I ran off after my second.

He slapped the ground. When you've done one before, the feeling is unmistakeable even if the pain is much lower.

campaigner of an injury. Thoughts are with you Sausage.

I saw it happen today. There wasn’t much in it.

Im not sure we can carry a guy on our list next year that won’t play.

Glad I’m not making the decision

A couple of years ago I probably would’ve had the same opinion. But we have a lot more flexibility now with the inactive list and we backed in a far less talented Flynn Perez off the back of two ACL’s.

If we retain those two extra rookie list spots I have no issues with us keeping him on for another 12 months, and replacing his spot on the list with a mature age player via the SPP before next season starts.

A good 12 months recovery has him returning to plan June next year. We’ll know pretty quick if he deserves a list spot in 2025.

Lord - there are some pelicans floating around.

Yes, we can absolutely afford to carry an injured Brayden George on the list while he recovers. He’s 20yo and highly talented - the club knew the risk was injury when we drafted him so we’re hardly cutting our losses now.

Who is he realistically holding back? Someone in the VFL? Spare me. He’s in our long term plans until he isn’t.

This injury would mean up to three seasons without a senior game played.
A ruthless team would call it and make the cut.
What do you mean without a senior game played?

He's played the bulk of the VFL season and some should argue should have debuted before hurting his elbow.

It's not as if he's been constantly injured.

This injury would mean up to three seasons without a senior game played.
A ruthless team would call it and make the cut.
Or you just give him a 1 year deal put him on inactive list and pick another player SSP

Allows the spot to be filled but keeps George on the list to try make a comeback

What do you mean without a senior game played?

He's played the bulk of the VFL season and some should argue should have debuted before hurting his elbow.

It's not as if he's been constantly injured.
Sorry if that seems harsh.

I'm just a little bit jaded from the numbers we have seen who promise so much and fail to fire a shot.

He's OOC at the end of the year, club should probably delist and relist as a rookie with a commitment with his management of another 2 years (1 year recovery, plus another).

Only downside to this is he would be a UFA for the remainder of his career, but you would think that wouldn't be an issue given the faith the club would have shown to that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horrible news if ACL is confirmed, but, doesn't even turn 21 till next year, back him and the surgeons in, he can go on the long term injury list anyway, so it aint like he is taking up someone else's spot, good luck Sausage.

We can't put him on the LTI list at the start of next year.

As it would mean he would be ruled out of VFL football for the entirety of next season, he's basically done his knee at the same point Logue did his last year and Logue will get half a season of football in.

Only solace to this is, he should hopefully be running for preseason and will more than likely have Goater and CCJ in the long term rehab group with him.

We can't put him on the LTI list at the start of next year.

As it would mean he would be ruled out of VFL football for the entirety of next season, he's basically done his knee at the same point Logue did his last year and Logue will get half a season of football in.

Only solace to this is, he should hopefully be running for preseason and will more than likely have Goater and CCJ in the long term rehab group with him.
You can move him back to the main list if someone else gets a LTI next year and knowing our luck it will happen

And if it doesn’t then you just let him use next year rehabbing then training when ready but not playing

You can move him back to the main list if someone else gets a LTI next year and knowing our luck it will happen

And if it doesn’t then you just let him use next year rehabbing then training when ready but not playing

That's not a decision you make without certainty.

These guys aren't chess pieces on a whiteboard.

They don't deserve to have 6 months of their playing career stripped off them because it gives the club flexibility, especially from a guy who has already missed large chunks of his career.

Won't happen in reality.

He's OOC at the end of the year, club should probably delist and relist as a rookie with a commitment with his management of another 2 years (1 year recovery, plus another).

Only downside to this is he would be a UFA for the remainder of his career, but you would think that wouldn't be an issue given the faith the club would have shown to that point.

Playing with fire doing that. Clubs would pounce before we got the chance to rookie him. Just give him the 2 years, take the weight off his mind and back him in.

If we’re offering George 2 years based on perceived potential output then by comparison would should be offering Phillips 4 based upon his current output to date.

And if I had to choose I know which way I am picking.

That's not a decision you make without certainty.

These guys aren't chess pieces on a whiteboard.

They don't deserve to have 6 months of their playing career stripped off them because it gives the club flexibility, especially from a guy who has already missed large chunks of his career.

Won't happen in reality.
Would be more like 3 months

And like I said I’d guess more often than not we have a LTI in the first half of a year

But worst case be extra cautious the second time around and having an extra 3 months to train might be the smarter way anyway

Easy for me to sit here and say yes or no to contracts, how long they are and how much people should receive - it’s not my money, it’s not my list to balance and build but what I do know for sure is we are a genuine, loving, caring, family club. There are times to be ruthless and there are times to put our arms around one of our own, and this time it’s the latter. We have had far worse on our list in the past taking up a spot and I would hope, and I would be shocked if Brayden wasn’t given a 2 year contract in the next week or so - so he can put his mind to ease, focus on his recovery and have it be known that the club loves him and will back him in. Ratten thought he was the most talented player on the list, that’s enough for me.

Easy for me to sit here and say yes or no to contracts, how long they are and how much people should receive - it’s not my money, it’s not my list to balance and build but what I do know for sure is we are a genuine, loving, caring, family club. There are times to be ruthless and there are times to put our arms around one of our own, and this time it’s the latter. We have had far worse on our list in the past taking up a spot and I would hope, and I would be shocked if Brayden wasn’t given a 2 year contract in the next week or so - so he can put his mind to ease, focus on his recovery and have it be known that the club loves him and will back him in. Ratten thought he was the most talented player on the list, that’s enough for me.
Ratts said he "could be the pick" of the 2022 Draft Class that included Sheez and Wardlaw, not the whole list. Irrespective, I agree - we are spoilt for choice with other delisting options, I'd give him another 2yrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #33: Brayden 'Sausage' George - re-signed until end of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back