Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

bloody hell where has tommy atkins come from :openmouth:

he looks a similar size/type to jack

we need jack graham that is, to do a tom atkins for the rest of the year and beyond.

bloody hell where has tommy atkins come from :openmouth:

he looks a similar size/type to jack

we need jack graham that is, to do a tom atkins for the rest of the year and beyond.

We don’t play him as a centre square mid though

We don’t play him as a centre square mid though
doesn't really matter if he's not a starting mid very often he still very much a part of our midfield and it's rotations. blind freddy can see how jack always takes a oppo mid at stoppages and throw ins.

By my calculations it's been 7 weeks since his last decent game. God i was saying he averages 4 or 5 good games a year, he's nowhere near that by my recollections. So I probably need to lower my already low expectations. I've been saying for a long time god help us when all our senior mids are gone if Graham's still around and we're expecting him to step up. Hopefully speedie gonzalez has a good one at last. God he's bloody due.

By my calculations it's been 7 weeks since his last decent game. God i was saying he averages 4 or 5 good games a year, he's nowhere near that by my recollections. So I probably need to lower my already low expectations. I've been saying for a long time god help us when all our senior mids are gone if Graham's still around and we're expecting him to step up. Hopefully speedie gonzalez has a good one at last. God he's bloody due.

He was terrible. What is his position on the field now? I don’t see him at centre bounces.

He has played exclusively in the role that Castagna has previously played the last two weeks. Once again comparing forwards output with a midfielders output. Swear some of you don't pay attention outside of where the ball is.
It's hilarious watching keyboard tyros telling Jack Graham how to play football between sips of beer. Lols

This is the man that went back out in a prelim with a dislocated shoulder and his sacrifice helped us win our 2019 flag, then he was runner up in the B&F last year yet some here want to get rid of him, its that type of loyalty or lack of, that destroyed this club back in the 1980's

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the man that went back out in a prelim with a dislocated shoulder and his sacrifice helped us win our 2019 flag, then he was runner up in the B&F last year yet some here want to get rid of him, its that type of loyalty or lack of that destroyed this club back in the 1980's
long time on the list now, he gets cut a lot of slack for his 2 or 3 acts bravery. first half was woeful as a defensive roaming forward, got it 11 times for the game and good on him because 2 of them were in the dying minutes but he gave it straight back to lions both times on a silver platter, cumbo might have saved his bacon.

long time on the list now, he gets cut a lot of slack for his 2 or 3 acts bravery. first half was woeful as a defensive roaming forward, got it 11 times for the game and good on him because 2 of them were in the dying minutes but he gave it straight back to lions both times on a silver platter, cumbo might have saved his bacon.
What slack is he being cut, 2017, 3 goals in a GF and votes in the Norm Smith, 2018, led club for tackles, 2019 Francis Burke award and that Prelim, 2020, 5 tackles in the GF, 11th in the B & F, 2021 only the third player in history to play two or more games with 12 tackles and 3 goals and runner up in the JDM.

How about you blokes cut him some slack?

What slack is he being cut, 2017, 3 goals in a GF and votes in the Norm Smith, 2018, led club for tackles, 2019 Francis Burke award and that Prelim, 2020, 5 tackles in the GF, 11th in the B & F, 2021 only the third player in history to play two or more games with 12 tackles and 3 goals and runner up in the JDM.

yawn. with your 5 year old stats/smats and 2021 JDM where half our guns missed 6 games or more

chill out, my opinion is he needs to lift, in his prime now and i'm not seeing it and 90% of his pressure rating is just chasing and making the ball carrier hurry up and his tackling is solid and thats his job........ but mainly leads to a ball up and it's a bit over rated today as you cant smash em and crafty player can get their arms free in a tackle.

and jack is a bit of a one trick pony too slow for a prime mid or back flanker, too short and not strong overhead for a winger like pickett is 😍 and ive said it for years if he's he's our 22nd selected, we're ok

BUT unless he gets better, if we are chasing tom green and others with junior, sonsie, brown, clark, banks, mansell, stack, dow, rcd, hrs, and co coming along and looking for spots his average/good form needs to spike as with his age demographic or he becomes the next elephant in the room.

yawn. with your 5 year old stats/smats and 2021 JDM where half our guns missed 6 games or more

chill out, my opinion is he needs to lift, in his prime now and i'm not seeing it and 90% of his pressure rating is just chasing and making the ball carrier hurry up and his tackling is solid and thats his job........ but mainly leads to a ball up and it's a bit over rated today as you cant smash em and crafty player can get their arms free in a tackle.

and jack is a bit of a one trick pony too slow for a prime mid or back flanker, too short and not strong overhead for a winger like pickett is 😍 and ive said it for years if he's he's our 22nd selected, we're ok

BUT unless he gets better, if we are chasing tom green and others with junior, sonsie, brown, clark, banks, mansell, stack, dow, rcd, hrs, and co coming along and looking for spots his average/good form needs to spike as with his age demographic or he becomes the next elephant in the room.
I stopped reading after the yawn comment come back when you mature a little

You’re right he did some good stuff 2 years ago so realistically he never has to play well for us ever again. Will be easy af to win a flag based on shit Jack Graham did in the past. How is no one seeing this?

cmon mate lighten up, we all know you kept reading ;):D
Hang on I'll go and read just to make you happy................ 20 mins later........bloody long post mate and I still disagree😘

Lets hope those kids do push up and pressure him for his spot though, nothing lasts forever.

So do we put his poor season down to no pre season or has he reached his limit at this level/in our system?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Poor season?

He is turning the ball over more han previous seasons, but he is getting more possessions than all but last season. His tackles are down slightly but I am guessing this is due to his contested possessions being at a career high. So perhaps some of the occasions he tackled before he is now winning possession.

We all know he had a slow start to the season due to his badly interrupted pre-season, but he worked his way into decent form before being a bit quieter the last couple of games. He finished = runner-up in the Dyer medal in 2021, and below is a statistical comparison of the two seasons. They really aren’t that much different. He is getting an extra contested possession, tackling a little less, 1 less score involvement on average and he is turning it over an extra 1.6 times this season. But remove the effect of the shallow pre-season and I doubt you’d be able to tell which season he has done better in.

1659545281069.png

His development for someone going from year 5 to his 6th season is probably a little disappointing. I think that output won’t get much higher then what we’re seeing right now.

Not really hitting the scoreboard and not really providing much through the middle.

Probably more of a structure player then anything, and replaceable in that respect.

Wouldn’t be the worst idea to see what his trade value is worth and what we could get back.

Poor season?

He is turning the ball over more han previous seasons, but he is getting more possessions than all but last season. His tackles are down slightly but I am guessing this is due to his contested possessions being at a career high. So perhaps some of the occasions he tackled before he is now winning possession.

We all know he had a slow start to the season due to his badly interrupted pre-season, but he worked his way into decent form before being a bit quieter the last couple of games. He finished = runner-up in the Dyer medal in 2021, and below is a statistical comparison of the two seasons. They really aren’t that much different. He is getting an extra contested possession, tackling a little less, 1 less score involvement on average and he is turning it over an extra 1.6 times this season. But remove the effect of the shallow pre-season and I doubt you’d be able to tell which season he has done better in.

View attachment 1465361
Pretty similar seasons. Wouldn't read into it too much. Goal assists halved compared to last year but possibly due to playing further away from goals?

How does 2022 stats compare to 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back