Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sonsie was given 4 coaches votes on the weekend ranking him 4th best on ground behind Prestia Lynch & Ross
Did not see that, must have played better than I thought. Just checked our board results, Sonsie got 7.1% of the votes given on the game thread - 11 players voted higher and a lot just under him. Ross got 58.6 behind Lynch and Prestia. So the coaches were feeling pretty generous.

Sonsie barely hit a target in the first half last week. Was better in the second but there was zero pressure. He has been good but far from excellent, excellent for a kid coming into the big league and looking poised I'll give you. Ross had 14 score involvements from 21 disposals last week, that is a massive number, but most impressive was how easy it all looked for him. Everytime he touched it he set up a team mate.

Sonsie had 14 score involvements from 19 disposals.

Did not see that, must have played better than I thought. Just checked our board results, Sonsie got 7.1% of the votes given on the game thread - 11 players voted higher and a lot just under him. Ross got 58.6 behind Lynch and Prestia. So the coaches were feeling pretty generous.
Think you may be being a bit harsh on his game Grr. Thought he did quite well myself. Happy for him to go again for the first final. Mind you, someone has to make way for Dusty if he is good to go, and Edwards plays imo.
But I am with you if go deeper... Against a side full of big bodied experience, in a semi... I feel he could be overwhelmed. But has stood up well so far.

History counts for nothing, form is what you want. Ross was so constructive with the ball last week, Sonsie wasn't, in fact made quite a few howlers early on. Sonsie does not look ready for finals footy, no surprise there he is 18 years old and plays pretty outside.

If that's the case, Edwards is out and George never gets near it.
I'm with you by the way, form is everything.
But have to say, that's a lot of scoring involvements right there ... 14.
Sonsie stays.

I saw that posted not long after I read that Ross had 14 score involvements so I would think one of them is wrong. No way the two got 28 of total 35.
Ross played forward and was very damaging so I am willing to bet it was him and that a later poster got it wrong, but not sure where the stats came from so can't say for sure. But 58% vs 7% sort of backs up my argument a bit.

Actually go to the jack Ross thread, it was him.

Last edited:
Think you may be being a bit harsh on his game Grr. Thought he did quite well myself. Happy for him to go again for the first final. Mind you, someone has to make way for Dusty if he is good to go, and Edwards plays imo.
But I am with you if go deeper... Against a side full of big bodied experience, in a semi... I feel he could be overwhelmed. But has stood up well so far.
He made some clangers early and played a good last half, so not that hard on him. Reckon he has done remarkably well to do what he has done so far. As you say, finals football is another level. If he plays good, but I don't think Ross deserves to be booted out after the game he just played.

I saw that posted not long after I read that Ross had 14 score involvements so I would think one of them is wrong. No way the two got 28 of total 35.
Ross played forward and was very damaging so I am willing to bet it was him and that a later poster got it wrong, but not sure where the stats came from so can't say for sure. But 58% vs 7% sort of backs up my argument a bit.

Actually go to the jack Ross thread, it was him.
I have zero clue what you are referring to with 58% vs 7%??

I don’t think you know how the score involvement stat works?

It’s being involved in a scoring chain, so if Sonsie grabs a loose ball and handballs to Ross who then hits a leading Bolton who the kicks a point, all 3 players get 1 score involvement stat.

3 score involvements for 1 point on the scoreboard.

The stat comes from AFL website so Sonsie 100% got 14 score involvements.

B4ACB29C-BB18-440E-A5A4-5DCFEB1D5BAF.png

You set the criteria of score involvements and Sonsie matched Ross.

Fwiw I agree that Ross was better, Sonsie had a shocking turn over when we were streaming through the middle and inexplicably decided to go wide which was a horrible decision. And he should have kicked at least 3 goals instead of 1.3.

Plus I have concerns over his strength at this stage, he tried to tackle (which is positive that he never shirked it) but couldn’t hang on… that being said the entire team were awful hanging onto our tackles in the first half. But missing tackles is problematic in finals.

Last edited:
that's what jumped out at me with the naked eye, he could have kicked 3 himself with near misses ...... and easy 3 or 4 set ups to team mates as score assists as well. the kid just knows what to do with it in spades.

It’s being involved in a scoring chain, so if Sonsie grabs a loose ball and handballs to Ross who then hits a leading Bolton who the kicks a point, all 3 players get 1 score involvement stat.

View attachment 1490888

Fwiw I agree that Ross was better, Sonsie had a shocking turn over when we were streaming through the middle and inexplicably decided to go wide which was a horrible decision. And he should have kicked at least 3 goals instead of 1.3.

Plus I have concerns over his strength at this stage, he tried to tackle (which is positive that he never shirked it) but couldn’t hang on… that being said the entire team were awful hanging onto our tackles in the first half. But missing tackles is problematic in finals.
Yes was mistaking score involvements for more direct score involvements. I just assumed that with both getting 14 it was a mistake, but stand corrected. So not setting different criteria, more a mistake. Good on both I guess.

In relation to 58% vs 7%, that was from our boards votes in the Roast and Toast after game thread.

View attachment 1490888

Completely agree. Sonsie could have been really damaging, but wasn't really. That such a young player can be in the right spot and see the game so clearly, and not drop his head when he's not playing well early is a great sign. In the 2nd half he hit some lovely passes. I think he'll be dropped for finals - the GOAT just stacks up. But what a great first year.

Ross was great last game, and looks to finally have found himself in the AFL. He's assertive and knows this is his home. I reckon he's now going to play the next 5 seasons as a regular mid. great to increase our depth and ability in a weak area.

If we are lucky and RCD and Dow come on as well as Sonsie we actually have a good midfield going forward. Not great, just good with that crew. Even if just one of RCD/Dow ends up AFL quality we have a decent midfield. Nice spot to be in. But we do need more quality in the mids. Nice end to 2022 with players coming on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grahams days are numbered in my opinion.

Sonsie, Hopper and Taranto are all going to go past Graham.

He’s pretty much a forward flanker now. He has been on the outs of the mid rotation all year.

If a Crows or Port Adelaide came knocking I’d be listening.
I agree. If they come for him let’s court their offers.

Graham has been playing forward flank since 2018. Taranto and Hopper will have zero bearing on him getting a game.

Not sure how anyone watches our final home and away game against Essendon and final vs Brisbane and fails to understand the importance Graham running between the arcs both ways makes on this team. Minus MRJ who is a relatively new addition to the team he is far and away our best pressure player while being our best tackler in a side that at its best is based on pressure around the ball and surging the ball forward with effort after effort for which his work rate in this area is elite.

Last edited:
Jack Graham is signed up until end of 2023

Carlton , Essendon & Crows were all into him before he signed in 2020

If Tarantino & Hopper push him out then i could see him leaving as a free agent
Crows will 100% be into him again

Doesn't get involved enough and let's be honest consistency and injuries a issue trade bait and some goes for Short both expendable.

He’s pretty much a forward flanker now. He has been on the outs of the mid rotation all year.

Ive always been a fan however given the likely incoming AND emerging mids , if we’re looking for gaps it maybe fridges spot up for grabs ,,,wouldn’t be easy as another dimma loves and pure role player , both SA clubs would happily have him

I'd very surprised if Graham was part of the deal, although I'm not his biggest fan. we would giving up way too much if the picks that are being talked + Graham.

No way. Graham fills the Lambert role. Runs like crazy and makes contests, good skills and decision maker. In fact he might be freed up from the defensive role somewhat. Good news for him here and now.

Maybe one of the kids might take his role. But TT and Hopper don't take his role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back