Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

He is in contract & a required player, the only way I see him moving on this year is if we get a deal that is too good to refuse from PA.
We won't be taking unders for Graham like we did with Butler, Higgins.

Everyone talks about Taranto & Hopper coming in but one them is replacing Lambert's spot next year.
Cotchin has one year left so Hopper replaces him after that fully as the insider mid we also needed depth in case of injuries ala Prestia, We lost depth in Caddy...
Shane Edwards has retired to me Graham takes Edward's spot in the side.

He is in contract & a required player, the only way I see him moving on this year is if we get a deal that is too good to refuse from PA.

Everyone talks about Taranto & Hopper coming in but one them is replacing Lambert's spot next year.
Cotchin has one year left so Hopper replaces him after that fully as the insider mid we also needed depth in case of injuries ala Prestia, We lost depth in Caddy...

Taranto and Hopper are nothing like Lambert.

I actually think this will not eventuate.

GWS are demanding too much, something has to give.

I am not buying it quite frankly

Lambert hardly played this year, we also have Dusty to fit back in and if Sonsie keeps improving Graham is clearly in trouble. I would say our best starting midfield might be Prestia, Hopper, Bolton. We then have Taranto, Martin, Cotchin, Sonsie to go through there. Probably one of Short/Baker as well. Taranto, Bolton, Martin will all play mid/forward. Now Graham is under contract and we would be stupid to trade if we dont get a decent offer. But if hes outside the best 22 we would lose him for sure at the end of next season.

I think people need to have a good look at the 22 v Brisbane and realize 3 players have to be moved out of that squad even before Graham gets added in. Grimes, Taranto and Hopper. Miller won’t come out we need the second ruck cover. It’s so hard to think which other 3 come out and that’s before an extra needs to come out for Graham to get in

I think people need to have a good look at the 22 v Brisbane and realize 3 players have to be moved out of that squad even before Graham gets added in. Grimes, Taranto and Hopper. Miller won’t come out we need the second ruck cover. It’s so hard to think which other 3 come out and that’s before an extra needs to come out for Graham to get in

Edwards is gone.

It'll be Ross and sonsie imo

We didn’t pick him for the EF despite being fit (albeit off a 2 week injury).

We wouldn’t do, and didn’t do that with our actual impactful players like Lynch/Dusty

His sky high value internal stats have clearly lessened in value this year given he’s falling further down our pecking order with young players (Sonsie) and players imported for the position he was drafted for (Taranto & Hopper)

I’ve got rose coloured glasses when it comes to Bakes so I get that people can really love a player despite faults. I will never see fault with Bakes & ill defend him to the hilt even if he averaged 0 touches a game.

That’s what a lot of our supporters have with Graham. Graham knows he’s going to struggle next year, he’s a smart man if he sees the writing on the wall

I see your point. But I don't see that Graham is particularly losing value. in fact I'd guess his value to us is increasing.

But I can also see why other clubs would want to check out if he is available.

And I can see why the club might be open to a trade if we got overs for it.

Some clubs would improve hugely with Graham doing the hard defensive mid/forward work. His leadership and abilities are worth a to to some clubs.

I really want him to stay. But if he goes I hope he gets paid a motza, and we get a very good pick.

I don't see them doing Lambo's role. That's Graham now and Judson Clarke in the future.

TT and Hopper fill the Cotch and Dion roles going forward. No one will fill Shedda's role, he was unique. But going forward Ross is a good B grade mid, Sonsie looks quality, Banks could be anything. Dow and RCD, who knows.

Graham can play through the midfield and that hard running HFF role. He's really valuable to team structure in that way.

I don't see them doing Lambo's role. That's Graham now and Judson Clarke in the future.

TT and Hopper fill the Cotch and Dion roles going forward. No one will fill Shedda's role, he was unique. But going forward Ross is a good B grade mid, Sonsie looks quality, Banks could be anything. Dow and RCD, who knows.

Graham can play through the midfield and that hard running HFF role. He's really valuable to team structure in that way.

How are they going to do prestia role if prestia. TT. Hopper. Are in the same team ?

How are they going to do prestia role if prestia. TT. Hopper. Are in the same team ?

Basically, IMHO, we play a really deep midfield. i know that doesn't make any sense to a Tiger head. We haven't done that since ....... 1980(?)

I expect us to play with a first rotation of too many top end mids - TT, Hopper, Prestia, Cotchin. Then rotate Ross etc through.

But in a year or 2 Cotch is gone, then Prestia running on his last legs.

It's a good problem to have too many good mids. Unlike the Giants I reckon we'll manage it OK.

Ross plays the Graham type role pretty much now with a bit less defence and a bit more offence.

Ross plays the Graham type role pretty much now with a bit less defence and a bit more offence.

You could argue the defence is more important when you have Bolton and dusty not focusing on it.

Short and baker are like being a player down at times like a special needs conference

You lose a lot of running with Lambert time too

You could argue the defence is more important when you have Bolton and dusty not focusing on it.

Short and baker are like being a player down at times like a special needs conference

You lose a lot of running with Lambert time too
Not really arguing for and against, at the moment there was room for both, but they are probably pretty close in how they go about it. Graham a bit more of the gut runner, his greatest asset I think, and Ross who these days is a fair gut runner but works in a bit closer, stands up in tackles and uses the ball better generally, (well last part of the season).

I'm not convinced by Graham's defensive work being his greatest asset, but I haven't seen him live in a long time which is a better way to judge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really arguing for and against, at the moment there was room for both, but they are probably pretty close in how they go about it. Graham a bit more of the gut runner, his greatest asset I think, and Ross who these days is a fair gut runner but works in a bit closer, stands up in tackles and uses the ball better generally, (well last part of the season).

I'm not convinced by Graham's defensive work being his greatest asset, but I haven't seen him live in a long time which is a better way to judge.

Ross seemingly improving certainly gives the list management staff options

Ross seems more well rounded too now

Love Jack Graham, but if he is traded people thinking we will get a top 10 pick should probably prepare for disappointment. He is not worth that much, I’d love for it to happen but it won’t

Bad call.

Baker is courageous and one of the cleanest handlers of the football I've ever seen. He runs full bore into contested situations and comes out the other side with the ball on a string. He then uses it well. He's also a much loved member of the team. He'll be 25 at the start of next season, so in his absolute prime.

I wouldn't trade him for pick 10 in this years draft, that's how highly I rate the guy.

Agree .

Some seem to forget just how influential he was at the half way mark of the year
and how genuinely tough and skilled he is .

The amount of peeing on monuments on this forum astounds me .

Like the Essendon board at times .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

if its a toss up between ross and graham for that last spot on the bench

im goin with ross

is strong overhead, jack aint and ross can boot it 60m, jack cannot, and ross can be eased to a wing or back flank and jack is a bit of a worry in those spots/match ups.

People also have to factor in that Dimma loves playing 6 tall defenders at once out there so that limits our midfield spots even with a 23rd man likely coming in. Id go

Baker Balta Grimes
Broad Vlas Rioli
Hugo/Kmac Prestia Pickett
Martin Lynch Cumberland
Rioli Riewoldt Stack*
Nank Hopper Bolton

Miller Short Taranto Cotch Sonsie

We have a ridiculous amount of talent, but we need to keep a balanced side. If Stack never finds form again Id still play a small in that position that can become a defensive forward to help MRJ, otherwise we are asking to concede too much per game again. Given our talent, we will score plenty anyway but need to become far more of a defensive side than we were this season. Dimma will play Gibcus somewhere I assume, personally I wouldnt use a bench spot on another tall defender, given Miller can go back in an emergency as well. Graham can be used anywhere and Id definetly keep, but we would survive without him. I dont see Ross being best 23 unless he improves, Sonsie can offer more.

if its a toss up between ross and graham for that last spot on the bench

im goin with ross

is strong overhead, jack aint and ross can boot it 60m, jack cannot, and ross can be eased to a wing or back flank and jack is a bit of a worry in those spots/match ups.

I would take Graham every day. He is a proven finals stud for a dynasty & Jack Ross has only had about a month of footy where he has shown he is above VFL level.

Last edited:
Taranto and Hopper are nothing like Lambert.

I actually think this will not eventuate.

GWS are demanding too much, something has to give.

I am not buying it quite frankly

It will happen, but its going to cost us 4-5 picks in the 1st, 2nd rounds

GWS know we are recruiting for flag tilts - they will hold firm.

Love Jack Graham, but if he is traded people thinking we will get a top 10 pick should probably prepare for disappointment. He is not worth that much, I’d love for it to happen but it won’t
We should have a crack at GWS first round pick, maybe the Giants are ready to realise that you need role players that are not first round picks on your list to be ale to have a team that futs under the salary cap.

Soldo, McIntosh, Graham, Castagna for

Taranto, Hopper and Pick 8 or 9 whatever they have?

We should have a crack at GWS first round pick, maybe the Giants are ready to realise that you need role players that are not first round picks on your list to be ale to have a team that futs under the salary cap.

might as well trade Aarts for Tom Green while we're at it

Congrats, you’re leading the most delusional trade hypothetical of the offseason. Let’s see if you can hold onto such a strong lead for the next 6 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back