Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Jack Graham, but if he is traded people thinking we will get a top 10 pick should probably prepare for disappointment. He is not worth that much, I’d love for it to happen but it won’t
Jarod Polec was not worth pick #7
Weller was not worth pick #2

But desperate times call for desperate measures and clubs Pay

Graham + #30 for #8-10 would not be out of the question

Agree .

Some seem to forget just how influential he was at the half way mark of the year
and how genuinely tough and skilled he is .

The amount of peeing on monuments on this forum astounds me .

Like the Essendon board at times .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's not a matter of disrespecting a player, it's where does he sit in the team with the addition of 2 new midfielders if it happens. Right now he is bottom 6 in our side, not so much in terms of how good a player he is but also who he will be competing against hypothetically for spots on the half forward midfield next year.

Sure he is a better player right now than the young players coming through, but some of them showed an awful lot in the last part of the year and will only be better next year. Graham is a good player for sure, but he will be under pressure to retain his place, and if he does it will because he has gone up a level, if so well and good.

The decision to re suit hopper and Taranto becomes more puzzling by the day . The club has literally refuse to play the likes of picketts , Graham , Ross or even RCD as inside mids within the AFL team and now are looking to off load early picks to fullfill inside roles and lose premeirship players who have been restricted the opportunity to play inside ? Make no sense to me 🤦‍♀️

if it gets the Hopper deal across the line then do it. so pick 19 and a future 1st for Hopper and we stay in the draft with a late first-rounder for Jack.

Then trade that late first to the lions for a future 1st :D
We're not giving up 19 and a future first for Hopper. One or the other, not both.

The decision to re suit hopper and Taranto becomes more puzzling by the day . The club has literally refuse to play the likes of picketts , Graham , Ross or even RCD as inside mids within the AFL team and now are looking to off load early picks to fullfill inside roles and lose premeirship players who have been restricted the opportunity to play inside ? Make no sense to me 🤦‍♀️
We lost 3 premiership players, these 2 help to replace them

Has Graham or Richmond or another club actually said anything publicly about him potentially looking elsewhere or is this just all made up by that cal tooney guy?

Every year for the last few it's been reported that clubs ask about him. I wonder if that's all it is. Just that more clubs asking because they hope something will shake free. Then the journos say that 1 (2*Giants) + 1 (annual clubs asking about JGTI) = FIRE and smoke.

I'd guess that Jack's value to clubs is higher than his salary or likely pick trade worth. So they ask, can we have the best defensive mid/HFF in the AFL please? Answer: No. Next year ask again and hope they get him eventually. 2022 this becomes a story lining 2 separate issue.

With a player like Jack Graham the club just needs to do what Fremantle did when Gold Coast came calling

Top 10 pick or GTFO

It makes no sense to me for us to trade out Jack, unless he wants to head home. I look at the mids as our biggest weakness, with Taranto & Hopper presumably joining us. We need the better players to stay with us to make the midfield rotation stronger. Also allows us to have Dusty & Shai spend more time forward also Bakes & Shorty more time down back. The other issue I see with aging Prestia, Dusty & Cotch is a chance of injury during the season which would impact our mids rotation depth.

I've learnt over the years not to get too invested in players anymore. I can't thank Jack enough for his contribution the past 5 years but he isn't a 26yo Dusty Martin or Chris Judd so if the right deal appears then so be it.
Richmond know his value. we won't give him away for a packet of chips.

Has Graham or Richmond or another club actually said anything publicly about him potentially looking elsewhere or is this just all made up by that cal tooney guy?
I listened to what he said on Tuesday, and he said it was highly unlikely Graham leaves. Yes there’s interest (5 clubs) but that’s just opposition clubs doing their due diligence

It makes no sense to me for us to trade out Jack, unless he wants to head home. I look at the mids as our biggest weakness, with Taranto & Hopper presumably joining us. We need the better players to stay with us to make the midfield rotation stronger. Also allows us to have Dusty & Shai spend more time forward also Bakes & Shorty more time down back. The other issue I see with aging Prestia, Dusty & Cotch is a chance of injury during the season which would impact our mids rotation depth.
Maybe the club sees more potential in Ross now? He had a cracking finish to the year. Sonsie is also coming through and the club has probably said to Jack they can't guarantee a spot in the 22 next year. I agree having depth is important but to bring in 2 starting mids then something has to give.
Jack is at the stage of his career where he doesn't want to be sitting in the 2's hence why the rumours of a possible trade have come from.
Cotchin's last year he probably knows his time is limited too and is happy to not play every game.
We have complained about how our midfield sucks for years, now we do something about it and we are all fearful that we might have to lose players to make way.
Taranto & Hopper is an upgrade on Graham

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all depends what we get in return for him. He's a good player, wouldn't give him away for bugger all
Would of liked him to of made it to 100 games for the tiges

I think Ross has leapfrogged him.
Be interesting to see how it plays out

I heard we want to target a kpf in this draft. Not sure how we get a good enough pick to get a decent 1?

With a player like Jack Graham the club just needs to do what Fremantle did when Gold Coast came calling

Top 10 pick or GTFO
Hes a good player but let's be realistic here... would be a 2nd round pick

Hes a good player, he's not a world beater

Hes a good player but let's be realistic here... would be a 2nd round pick

Hes a good player, he's not a world beater
Thats just the point

What good is a speculative kid ranked 25-35 for a team that has reloaded and going for a flag and graham the only real defensive mid on the list
specially with Lambert gone he is worth more to Richmond than pick #30 which would have 10% chance of becoming any better than graham

Lochie Weller , Jarod polec were no world beaters either byt 1 mans trash is another mans treasure
If they want him thats his price and he will still be worth a 2nd rounder in 2-3 years time atleast when he is a free agent
may as well get as much games out of him as we can

Thats just the point

What good is a speculative kid ranked 25-35 for a team that has reloaded and going for a flag and graham the only real defensive mid on the list
specially with Lambert gone he is worth more to Richmond than pick #30 which would have 10% chance of becoming any better than graham

Lochie Weller , Jarod polec were no world beaters either byt 1 mans trash is another mans treasure
If they want him thats his price and he will still be worth a 2nd rounder in 2-3 years time atleast when he is a free agent
Reckon it would help get tarranto and hopper.

Mind you port haven't got a 2nd rounder

We need picks to do the trades and land this kpf. Gunna be interesting this year

Thats just the point

Richmond picks after 25 in the past few years:

2021 Sonsie - pick 28
2020 Samson Ryan - pick 40
2019 Noah Cumberland - pick 43
2018 Jack Ross - pick 43
2017 Noah Balta - pick 25

Sure, we have had some busts to go with them but you can't say a 2nd round pick is only speculative.

If another club offered us a 2nd round pick to use for Graham I'd do it in a heartbeat. Especially if Taranto and Hopper were added to our list prior to that trade.

Top 10 pick or GTFO
If only we had a Dodoro clone at Tigerland!

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Richmond picks after 25 in the past few years:

2021 Sonsie - pick 28
2020 Samson Ryan - pick 40
2019 Noah Cumberland - pick 43
2018 Jack Ross - pick 43
2017 Noah Balta - pick 25

Sure, we have had some busts to go with them but you can't say a 2nd round pick is only speculative.

If another club offered us a 2nd round pick to use for Graham I'd do it in a heartbeat. Especially if Taranto and Hopper were added to our list prior to that trade.
Respect your opinion but we would have more misses than hits over the past 10 years and same goes for every other club and rare to find 250 game players at that pick.

Can i ask you what is the advantage of getting a pick between 25-35 this year compared to at least the same and possibly more in 3-4 years time when he can leave as a free agent ?

We are in the window in the next 3 years and a player like Graham is best 22/23 and gives us depth whilst contending

Just remember, most clubs have at least 4 to 6 players out injured at any one time, a few of which are best 22. So It's not an arguement of fitting all the players into best 22. It's really a best 25-26 minimum with a need for another half a dozen for depth.
I would say you need depth upto 30 players to win the flag

Everyone likes Jack Graham, disagreement is is he first 22 or is he depth (or soon will be). If he is first 22, it's a much harder argument to make to let him go, unless it's for something extraordinarily good in return. However, if he is depth, then the question becomes do we trade him out to augment an area that we have far less depth in.

I am firmly of the opinion that if we trade in both Taranto and Hopper we have to somehow retain some credible draft presence either this year or next to draft a high quality young tall to replenish our aging KPF stocks. Ideally I would have preferred to just recruit either one of Taranto and Hopper, not both. But since that decision has been made, I think our next priority should be making sure that we have some first round draft presence either this year or next. If Graham can help make that happen I am open to trading him and I suspect the club might be as well, as long as the deal is good enough.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back